Team-BHP - Gardening experts in Team BHP?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Gardening experts in Team BHP? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/89939-gardening-experts-team-bhp-8.html)

Quote:

Basically prevent the pigeons from attacking this plant.
Easy solution,put a soft toy of Cat near your plant.This should solve the problem.

I'll share a gardening tip I came across LONG back in some book when I was a school boy with a huge interest in balcony gardening (on flower pots). There are often times when you need to go off on vacations of 2-weeks and there'll be nobody to water the plants which could dry up and die. Here is a simple solution:

Take a 2-litre water bottle. Either that or one of those huge 2.25-litre soft drink bottles, but really thin bottles work best. Fill it with water to the brim. Check the pot and ensure that there is around 2" radius space free somewhere in it where the mud isn't too tight and at the same time not too loose and in a quick motion shove the bottle into the mud so that the bottle mouth is about 3-5 centimetres deep inside soil or as much as needed for the bottle to be stable. As the plant absorbs water from soil, water travels from the bottle into the soil. And only that much water travels down to the soil as is needed by the plants. Even in normal times, using this method of watering the plants ensures optimal irrigation and over-watering and choking of the soil does not occur keeping the plants healthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHG (Post 3003878)
I'll share a gardening tip I came across LONG back in some book when I was a school boy with a huge interest in balcony gardening (on flower pots). There are often times when you need to go off on vacations of 2-weeks and there'll be nobody to water the plants which could dry up and die. Here is a simple solution:

Take a 2-litre water bottle. Either that or one of those huge 2.25-litre soft drink bottles, but really thin bottles work best. Fill it with water to the brim. Check the pot and ensure that there is around 2" radius space free somewhere in it where the mud isn't too tight and at the same time not too loose and in a quick motion shove the bottle into the mud so that the bottle mouth is about 3-5 centimetres deep inside soil or as much as needed for the bottle to be stable. As the plant absorbs water from soil, water travels from the bottle into the soil. And only that much water travels down to the soil as is needed by the plants. Even in normal times, using this method of watering the plants ensures optimal irrigation and over-watering and choking of the soil does not occur keeping the plants healthy.

You also need to make holes in the other side of the bottle. Otherwise vacuum formation may not allow water to escape from the bottle to the pot.

I had tried this and this works fabulously. I inverted the bottle into the pot & then cut holes on the other side. The one bottle (1.5 litres) lasted for weeks because additional condensation water was also collected in the bottle from the top - so it lasted far more than I hoped for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3003883)
You also need to make holes in the other side of the bottle. Otherwise vacuum formation may not allow water to escape from the bottle to the pot.

I had tried this and this works fabulously. I inverted the bottle into the pot & then cut holes on the other side. The one bottle (1.5 litres) lasted for weeks because additional condensation water was also collected in the bottle from the top - so it lasted far more than I hoped for.

Forgot to mention that but it can be avoided by using a THIN bottle. Bottle simply gets squeezed. Or, air transfer happens through soil itself (need porous soil though). All experiments conducted by yours truly :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoom (Post 3002536)
... Indo Amercian Hybrid Seeds on Kanakapura Road today ...

Where exactly on Kanakapura Road is this? Have been wanting to go there for a long time.

I got duped with one of their seed packets - Impatiens, a right royal quantity of 9 seeds (each is a fraction of a mustard seed) in a packet costing 35 at Auchan! :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHG (Post 3003878)
... Take a 2-litre water bottle. ...

Quote:

You also need to make holes in the other side of the bottle. ...

Have tried that - work well. In fact, there are a couple of models of plastic pot inserts (works by the same principle; some even have a float to indicate level of water!) available in the US - and they cost a packet. The discarded soft drink bottles work at a fraction of the cost! :) Works best when one puts the bottle while repotting a plant.

Quote:

I found this sometime back for watering plants while I am away

Quote:

Originally Posted by girimajiananth (Post 3000718)
@dreams ,

It looks like it wont flower again . It could be one of those plants I had mentioned earlier . Give it some more sunshine and see for another one month. If there are no signs of buds ,you can dispose the plant.

yes for the first time it blooms , because it could have been paired with another flowering rose plant , which eventually dies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECM (Post 3001084)
@dre@ms

I think this plant will survive,follow steps mentioned below.

#Use bigger pot,this plant tends to grow in full(I forgot the name of it rt now,sorry but thats a side effect of diabetes!),place it where it can have maximum sunlight in current season.Your current pot is too small.
#Move this pot to sunlight and apply super phosphate.
#I am 100% sure that you will have a fresh bloom again,kindly feed less but often if you are not going to change the pot,this is small and may require frequent feeding.Feed in small qty.in that case.
#You should apply one tea sp.of vinegar diluted in 200 ml.water to your rose plant for speedy recovery from current state but problem is I have no idea of current pH of your soil filled in the pot hence avoid this step imho.
All the best.

Missed the posts, since it was not quoted.
Contrary replies :D
Dont want to destroy the plant even though it is not giving any buds, atleast it gives new leaves, meaning it is growing.

@ECM
Have been hunting for a usual clay pot, but not finding one. All I see is again bigger plastic pots.
But will definitely get/pick one, there are few unused pots in my apartment.
Will also get some manure from the plant guys and try it out. But where do I get super phosphate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dre@ms (Post 3004284)
Missed the posts, since it was not quoted.
Contrary replies :D
Dont want to destroy the plant even though it is not giving any buds, atleast it gives new leaves, meaning it is growing.

@ECM
Will also get some manure from the plant guys and try it out. But where do I get super phosphate?

Try pruning it again . When you prune it add some manure . There are plenty of horticulture shops where you can buy phosphate .

Try getting rose mix . I am not sure if its the same thing as super phosphate .But adding rose mix in very little quantities will help the rose plant grow

Quote:

Originally Posted by girimajiananth (Post 3004326)

Try pruning it again . When you prune it add some manure . There are plenty of horticulture shops where you can buy phosphate .

Try getting rose mix . I am not sure if its the same thing as super phosphate .But adding rose mix in very little quantities will help the rose plant grow

Sure pal, will give it a shot. Also will try to see how the roots are, if found any decay will remove them.

Bro do this asap as effects are visible on leaves in pictures.If you don't get S.Phosfaste don't worry,just move plant in a new pot and put it in sunlight and not near your door where hardly an hour of sunlight may be present.Atleast provide 3 hrs.of sunlight to it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dre@ms (Post 3004395)
Also will try to see how the roots are, if found any decay will remove them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECM (Post 3004507)
Bro do this asap as effects are visible on leaves in pictures.If you don't get S.Phosfaste don't worry,just move plant in a new pot and put it in sunlight and not near your door where hardly an hour of sunlight may be present.Atleast provide 3 hrs.of sunlight to it.

Dude, I moved the plant inside to take snaps alone. It is in my balcony basking in the sun from morning till noon, more than 3 hours.

Noted,which water you provide to it?Tap water or RO water?Now important steps begin!Why I am asking you this because leaves shows something different to me(more on this later after your reply).
Quote:

Originally Posted by dre@ms (Post 3004525)
Dude, I moved the plant inside to take snaps alone. It is in my balcony basking in the sun from morning till noon, more than 3 hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECM (Post 3004537)
Noted,which water you provide to it?Tap water or RO water?Now important steps begin!Why I am asking you this because leaves shows something different to me(more on this later after your reply).

Manjeera water from pureit auto-fill. It's not an RO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dre@ms (Post 3004845)
Manjeera water from pureit auto-fill. It's not an RO.

Whats wrong with tap water ? I use tap water for plants and they grow just fine . Why do you want to use filter water ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECM (Post 3003784)
Easy solution,put a soft toy of Cat near your plant.This should solve the problem.

Thats innovative :thumbs up. Will try it out.