Team-BHP - Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/91227-fake-fraud-scam-calls-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 4968375)
Wondering what the modus operandi is ? How did the scamster manage to transfer money and can't it be reversed ?

Was this an international transaction?
I have seen that credit cards do not require OTP for international transactions. I haven't used a debit card yet for any international transaction so can't confirm.
Once my transaction/trip is over, I disable international transactions from the banks website.

These days I get calls. “ You took an insurance policy in 2010 and premium is due”. HDFC/ICICI. I have never taken any financial instrument from them. Number goes straight to TrueCaller. I find these to banks to be top spammers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J4J (Post 4968384)
Was this an international transaction?
I have seen that credit cards do not require OTP for international transactions. I haven't used a debit card yet for any international transaction so can't confirm.
Once my transaction/trip is over, I disable international transactions from the banks website.

Part of the scam is to ask for the OTP saying that it's a confirmation code.

While international transactions were allowed by default, I remember that the RBI had directed banks and credit card companies to disable it by default.

https://www.livemint.com/money/perso...091266944.html

Quote:

Wondering what the modus operandi is ? How did the scamster manage to transfer money and can't it be reversed ?

You are missing a step wherein the scamster tells the mark that "the OTP that comes to your mobile is required for completing the linkage, please let me have it".

Typically the payments are made to bank accounts in JH and other eastern states; and those accounts (already compromised accounts of the uninformed masses in those areas) are emptied quickly too. Police is also often reluctant to go after these scamsters for small amounts (say < 1L).

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 4968524)
You are missing a step wherein the scamster tells the mark that "the OTP that comes to your mobile is required for completing the linkage, please let me have it".

Ok, I was quite sure I didn't have all the details, so this makes sense.

However, I'm also wondering if/what role the Aadhaar numbers played and if that has been compromised ? Would the scamster have updated the mobile number linked to Aadhaar so he can get hold of any Aadhaar authentication OTP's going forward ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 4968544)
Would the scamster have updated the mobile number linked to Aadhaar?

Oh yes, why not? Verify it asap. Once they control your Aadhaar it is a successfully executed identity theft case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissknife (Post 4968513)
Part of the scam is to ask for the OTP saying that it's a confirmation code.

While international transactions were allowed by default, I remember that the RBI had directed banks and credit card companies to disable it by default.

https://www.livemint.com/money/perso...091266944.html

This is true only for new cards issued. Quoting from the link above.
Quote:

These rules will be applicable for new cards from 16 March, 2020. Those with old cards can decide whether to disable any of these features.
In my case, I had to manually activate and deactivate whenever required.

Regarding Aadhar card number, this can be used for e verification. If the aadhar was linked to email and phone, an email is sent when this is performed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asingh1977 (Post 4968511)
These days I get calls. “ You took an insurance policy in 2010 and premium is due”. HDFC/ICICI. I have never taken any financial instrument from them. Number goes straight to TrueCaller. I find these to banks to be top spammers.

Exact same thing happened with me.

Got a call that your insurance policy from PNB Life which you took in 2013, has a premium due. I never took any policy in the first place. Then the lady went on to say that kindly confirm your address and put up a request for cancellation if you dont want to continue. I simply said do whatever you want I have not purchased any policy and dont care what you do with that.

Worrying thing is that she knew my office address alongwith my name and mobile no.

Quote:

How did the scamster manage to transfer money and can't it be reversed ?

Not reversed but banks can compensate victims of such scam. There is also a way to escalate this to the RBI ombudsman. Google should provide you with more resources.

Hello all!
I need help and guidance. I had asked one of my friends to get some stuff from Gurugram and had transferred the requisite money into his account (approx rupees 18000).
He opened google maps to navigate and seeing a mobile number there called up on that number. Long story short he got duped through PhonePe scam for the entire amount and now I am lighter by 18 k.
He went to bank to cancel the transaction but bank refused citing they have no say in this. Police is reluctant to register the FIR.
Please help.
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey (Post 4990114)
He went to bank to cancel the transaction but bank refused citing they have no say in this. Police is reluctant to register the FIR.

This is plain wrong. It is textbook digital fraud and the police have to register an FIR. See if you are able to raise a complaint through MHA's Cyber Crime Portal.

I keep getting calls from people asking me whether I trade in derivatives. I don't, but I tell them that I do. ;) They go on to ask me if I trade in commodities or equity. I give some random answers and string them along for a while, but when I ask them what exactly they are calling me for, they are unable to give a clear answer. I have no idea what they are calling to offer me.
Does anyone else receive such calls?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey (Post 4990114)
Hello all!
I need help and guidance. I had asked one of my friends to get some stuff from Gurugram and had transferred the requisite money into his account (approx rupees 18000).
He opened google maps to navigate and seeing a mobile number there called up on that number. Long story short he got duped through PhonePe scam for the entire amount and now I am lighter by 18 k.
Please help.
Thanks

This is cyber crime helpline no of Gurugram. See if this helps. 0124-2311033

You need to elucidate in your story so that you can be better advised.

Some bank accounts and cards have built in insurance over financial frauds. See if you have. Write a mail to the bank. See if it helps.

Regards,
RaviCar

Quote:

Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? (Post 4990280)
I keep getting calls from people asking me whether I trade in derivatives.

Along with the ‘I’m a Quikr genuine buyer’ scam I’ve posted about recently in separate thread, this ‘I’ll give you stock market tips’ scam seems to be the other new one.
Around 4-5 days ago got a call from a person, said he was Sachin Patel from Gujurat and, he will give me daily tips that can earn me good money.
I asked him how he got my number, he said we have a database of people who trade regularly, a database they purchased from my stock broker, I told him I haven’t done any trades but, my friend’s do trade in the market.
Later, he said he got my number from a database that they received from BSE at Fort, I said ok so you should have all my details so, you should know my name and the city I’m in and he didn’t have an answer for either, eventually he gave up and kept the phone.
Reported him as spam on TrueCaller and via TRAI app and blocked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaviCar (Post 4990322)
This is cyber crime helpline no of Gurugram. See if this helps. 0124-2311033

You need to elucidate in your story so that you can be better advised.

Some bank accounts and cards have built in insurance over financial frauds. See if you have. Write a mail to the bank. See if it helps.

Regards,
RaviCar

Thanks for the info. I will surely try it out.
The payment has been made from SBI bank account linked with PhonePe.
Also in the same breath let me ask if a credit card provides better options (if any) for recovery of money? If yes, can somebody please bring out the advantages of credit cards over debit cards against such scenarios.
I will be highly obliged.
Regards