Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2021, 22:56   #106
J4J
BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wondering what the modus operandi is ? How did the scamster manage to transfer money and can't it be reversed ?
Was this an international transaction?
I have seen that credit cards do not require OTP for international transactions. I haven't used a debit card yet for any international transaction so can't confirm.
Once my transaction/trip is over, I disable international transactions from the banks website.

Last edited by J4J : 2nd January 2021 at 23:03.
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:11   #107
BHPian

These days I get calls. “ You took an insurance policy in 2010 and premium is due”. HDFC/ICICI. I have never taken any financial instrument from them. Number goes straight to TrueCaller. I find these to banks to be top spammers.
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:15   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4J View Post
Was this an international transaction?
I have seen that credit cards do not require OTP for international transactions. I haven't used a debit card yet for any international transaction so can't confirm.
Once my transaction/trip is over, I disable international transactions from the banks website.
Part of the scam is to ask for the OTP saying that it's a confirmation code.

While international transactions were allowed by default, I remember that the RBI had directed banks and credit card companies to disable it by default.

https://www.livemint.com/money/perso...091266944.html

Last edited by swissknife : 3rd January 2021 at 09:17.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wondering what the modus operandi is ? How did the scamster manage to transfer money and can't it be reversed ?
You are missing a step wherein the scamster tells the mark that "the OTP that comes to your mobile is required for completing the linkage, please let me have it".

Typically the payments are made to bank accounts in JH and other eastern states; and those accounts (already compromised accounts of the uninformed masses in those areas) are emptied quickly too. Police is also often reluctant to go after these scamsters for small amounts (say < 1L).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:51   #110
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You are missing a step wherein the scamster tells the mark that "the OTP that comes to your mobile is required for completing the linkage, please let me have it".
Ok, I was quite sure I didn't have all the details, so this makes sense.

However, I'm also wondering if/what role the Aadhaar numbers played and if that has been compromised ? Would the scamster have updated the mobile number linked to Aadhaar so he can get hold of any Aadhaar authentication OTP's going forward ?
Old 3rd January 2021, 10:22   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would the scamster have updated the mobile number linked to Aadhaar?
Oh yes, why not? Verify it asap. Once they control your Aadhaar it is a successfully executed identity theft case.
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:35   #112
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Part of the scam is to ask for the OTP saying that it's a confirmation code.

While international transactions were allowed by default, I remember that the RBI had directed banks and credit card companies to disable it by default.

https://www.livemint.com/money/perso...091266944.html
This is true only for new cards issued. Quoting from the link above.
Quote:
These rules will be applicable for new cards from 16 March, 2020. Those with old cards can decide whether to disable any of these features.
In my case, I had to manually activate and deactivate whenever required.

Regarding Aadhar card number, this can be used for e verification. If the aadhar was linked to email and phone, an email is sent when this is performed.
Old 4th January 2021, 09:30   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
These days I get calls. “ You took an insurance policy in 2010 and premium is due”. HDFC/ICICI. I have never taken any financial instrument from them. Number goes straight to TrueCaller. I find these to banks to be top spammers.
Exact same thing happened with me.

Got a call that your insurance policy from PNB Life which you took in 2013, has a premium due. I never took any policy in the first place. Then the lady went on to say that kindly confirm your address and put up a request for cancellation if you dont want to continue. I simply said do whatever you want I have not purchased any policy and dont care what you do with that.

Worrying thing is that she knew my office address alongwith my name and mobile no.
Old 4th January 2021, 10:39   #114
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
How did the scamster manage to transfer money and can't it be reversed ?
Not reversed but banks can compensate victims of such scam. There is also a way to escalate this to the RBI ombudsman. Google should provide you with more resources.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 17:00   #115
BHPian

Hello all!
I need help and guidance. I had asked one of my friends to get some stuff from Gurugram and had transferred the requisite money into his account (approx rupees 18000).
He opened google maps to navigate and seeing a mobile number there called up on that number. Long story short he got duped through PhonePe scam for the entire amount and now I am lighter by 18 k.
He went to bank to cancel the transaction but bank refused citing they have no say in this. Police is reluctant to register the FIR.
Please help.
Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 17:30   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey View Post
He went to bank to cancel the transaction but bank refused citing they have no say in this. Police is reluctant to register the FIR.
This is plain wrong. It is textbook digital fraud and the police have to register an FIR. See if you are able to raise a complaint through MHA's Cyber Crime Portal.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 22:38   #117
BHPian

I keep getting calls from people asking me whether I trade in derivatives. I don't, but I tell them that I do. They go on to ask me if I trade in commodities or equity. I give some random answers and string them along for a while, but when I ask them what exactly they are calling me for, they are unable to give a clear answer. I have no idea what they are calling to offer me.
Does anyone else receive such calls?
Old 30th January 2021, 23:50   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey View Post
Hello all!
I need help and guidance. I had asked one of my friends to get some stuff from Gurugram and had transferred the requisite money into his account (approx rupees 18000).
He opened google maps to navigate and seeing a mobile number there called up on that number. Long story short he got duped through PhonePe scam for the entire amount and now I am lighter by 18 k.
Please help.
Thanks
This is cyber crime helpline no of Gurugram. See if this helps. 0124-2311033

You need to elucidate in your story so that you can be better advised.

Some bank accounts and cards have built in insurance over financial frauds. See if you have. Write a mail to the bank. See if it helps.

Regards,
RaviCar
RaviCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 00:32   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
I keep getting calls from people asking me whether I trade in derivatives.
Along with the ‘I’m a Quikr genuine buyer’ scam I’ve posted about recently in separate thread, this ‘I’ll give you stock market tips’ scam seems to be the other new one.
Around 4-5 days ago got a call from a person, said he was Sachin Patel from Gujurat and, he will give me daily tips that can earn me good money.
I asked him how he got my number, he said we have a database of people who trade regularly, a database they purchased from my stock broker, I told him I haven’t done any trades but, my friend’s do trade in the market.
Later, he said he got my number from a database that they received from BSE at Fort, I said ok so you should have all my details so, you should know my name and the city I’m in and he didn’t have an answer for either, eventually he gave up and kept the phone.
Reported him as spam on TrueCaller and via TRAI app and blocked.
Old 31st January 2021, 09:15   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviCar View Post
This is cyber crime helpline no of Gurugram. See if this helps. 0124-2311033

You need to elucidate in your story so that you can be better advised.

Some bank accounts and cards have built in insurance over financial frauds. See if you have. Write a mail to the bank. See if it helps.

Regards,
RaviCar
Thanks for the info. I will surely try it out.
The payment has been made from SBI bank account linked with PhonePe.
Also in the same breath let me ask if a credit card provides better options (if any) for recovery of money? If yes, can somebody please bring out the advantages of credit cards over debit cards against such scenarios.
I will be highly obliged.
Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks