Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2022, 13:00   #226
BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Where this number fit in - 911902?
Seems "special", so I picked the call, even though Truecaller classified it as a spam call. Which operator issues such numbers? And is there something official about a 6 digit number?
Old 11th April 2022, 15:46   #227
Senior - BHPian

Received the following message in my phone.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-img_20220411_152706.jpg

The link took me to a site that was eerily akin to what the SBi site could have been.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-img_20220411_152535.jpg

Please note how the bitly link in the message shows https which it actually isn't, as is evident in the screenshot.

The link starts with http and the url isn't obviously SBI's.

Funny how, in their attempt to make their site appear legitimate, the con men have included the following:

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-img_20220411_154134.jpg

PS: I was very clear that this is a phishing attempt and hence took due care. But anyone who isn't patient or careful is sure to fall into the clever trap.

The actual SBI homepage

https://www.onlinesbi.com/ looks like this.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-img_20220411_152623.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th April 2022 at 16:41. Reason: Removed phishing link to avoid accidental hits by BHPians/visitors. Link still visible in screenshot for reference.Thanks.
dailydriver is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 16:13   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Received the following message in my phone.
That was not very smart to click such links and access the site. I'm no expert but there could be scripts-based malwares running in the background that you might not be aware off when you hit those sites. Also please edit/remove that link from your post.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th April 2022 at 16:16.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 17:22   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
That was not very smart to click such links and access the site. I'm no expert but there could be scripts-based malwares running in the background that you might not be aware off when you hit those sites. Also please edit/remove that link from your post.
Thanks.

It is very much possible.

But most of these links rely on OTPs to move further in their cheat game. Also, my OS and antivirus being up-to-date and my phone not being used for any financial transactions gave me the freedom to explore the link.

Nevertheless, I do agree that not clicking on suspicious links should be the first line of defence in such cases.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 07:14   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was very clear that this is a phishing attempt and hence took due care. But anyone who isn't patient or careful is sure to fall into the clever trap.
I reported the link you posted to Google Safe Browsing and Clourflare's abuse reporting system, and I'm glad to see that it went offline a few hours later. I urge everyone to do this. The reporting URL for GSB is:

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safe.../report_phish/

(GSB is used by Chrome, Firefox, Safari and a number of smaller browsers)

Quote:
Also, my OS and antivirus being up-to-date and my phone not being used for any financial transactions gave me the freedom to explore the link.
Your antivirus and stuff are probably using a service like GSB/Google Web Risk, in which case it might be reliant on people such as us reporting phishing links in a timely fashion to enable the freedom that you talk about.
binand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 20:53   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

The Anydesk app is very risky and anyone who has this app could become a victim of cyber fraud. It provides third party access to your mobile activities after its activated.

This victim, a 31 year old software developer from Mumbai had used e-wallet app to pay his electricity bill. The bill shown on e-wallet app was much more than the actual amount. He Googled searching customer care helpline numbers. Finding one he contacted the fraudster who said he was based in Noida. Believing him as e-wallet has customer care helpline numbers in Noida the talks began.The fraudster told him to download the Anydesk app and type his bank details. The fraud came to light when SBI, the victim's banker revealed that several transactions totaling Rs 5.06 lakhs had been siphoned off from his bank account by the fraudster.

Link:-
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...ource=inshorts
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 07:29   #232
BHPian

Mark Rober got some of India based scam companies busted

Sad to see our country getting this kind of reputation.
Thilak29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 23:16   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Mark Rober got some of India based scam companies busted

Sad to see our country getting this kind of reputation.
Police and media have started taking notice now. Time for some strict action on scammers.

One of the many reports on the same:
https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/wes...t-5168779.html
Old 15th May 2022, 11:25   #234
Senior - BHPian

My mom has been regular calls claiming to be from Birla Sun Life Insurance, stating that she has some unclaimed money. I have tried all tactics like wasting their time by asking dumb questions to openly stating that I have complained to the cyber cell and my calls are being monitored. But the calls still continue from different numbers. I have asked my mom to save some 5-6 different numbers and then go lodge a complaint.

I know it is a scam because they are willing to communicate only via whatsapp and refuse to send email with the details. One lady even claimed to be from a govt office, not IRDA, but still would only send me whatsapp.
Old 16th May 2022, 12:38   #235
BHPian

Last week I received a WhatsApp message on my home phone number from Pakistan (+92), with a KBC lottery photo. This was accompanied by an "audio" message where the "Lottery In-charge" told me I've won a 25lakhs INR lottery. His English and pronunciations clearly indicated this being a scam.

Funny thing is: The lottery ticket with the number et all had:
1. Assured by KBC (with Big B's pic and signature)
2. CBI Logi (lol)
3. Made in Canada seal (rofl)
4. A seal stating "Approved" "Approved" "Approved"
5. Canada Maple Leaf (lol)
6. Words like "Congraculations", "Sulotion"

Another acquaintance of mine also received such a message. The message clearly said, "save the mentioned number and call specifically through WhatsApp and not regular phone connection".

beware.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 12:53   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently posted something on OLX. And within 30 minutes, 5-6 responses, all showing an eagerness to buy. OLX systems marked all of them as Suspicious users, and all the chats were deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Last week I received a WhatsApp message on my home phone number from Pakistan (+92), with a KBC lottery photo..
Have seen two such messages on a family member's number. Both deleted as soon as the country code was noticed.
Old 16th May 2022, 14:42   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I recently posted something on OLX. And within 30 minutes, 5-6 responses, all showing an eagerness to buy. OLX systems marked all of them as Suspicious users, and all the chats were deleted.
My BIL posted home furniture for sale in B'lore. He received calls within 15 minutes. He wasn't aware of such OLX antics, so he went ahead with talking that guy. The other guy asked him to transfer Re.1 for some 'check' and my BIL did it out of ignorance. Then the other guy transferred back Rs. 2/- for some 'check'.
Then he asked to transfer some more and thankfully this is when my BIL doubted this whole drama and finally cut the call. The other guy called back at least 8-10 times to 'resume the transaction'. Finally the other guy's friend called from other number and asked my BIL straight forward that how much did he lose. My BIL laughed back & told him that he made Re.1

But I am still not able to grasp their modus operandi. Why this Re. 1 & back Rs. 2 drama?

Also, OLX marked this user as suspicious when they checked back. Another question, if OLX already knows the suspicious users, why are they not blocking their accounts in first place? This all has made OLX a fraudster's platform and one should think twice before posting there.

Last edited by saket77 : 16th May 2022 at 14:43.
Old 16th May 2022, 14:57   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
But I am still not able to grasp their modus operandi. Why this Re. 1 & back Rs. 2 drama?
confidence building measures before conning the seller into transferring to the "buyer". The amount would likely be around what is quoted for the item. Some users can mix-up transfer-in and transfer-out, and end up paying money to the other person.

(my take, that)

Quote:
Another question, if OLX already knows the suspicious users, why are they not blocking their accounts in first place? .
Possible that there is some algorithm to compare speed of response and the responses.

When selling on OLX, I try to see the number of followers and number of people followed. The dealers typically have multiple such people on their profile. Individual people (buyer/seller) will normally have mail + SM id + number verified.

btw, today one person sent a voice message asking for my number. QUick check showed a few followers/followed. Ignored the person. His voice also was gruff
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 15:14   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I know of at least one flaw in the tata website which can be used to get the contact details of any tata motors customer ( not disclosing how for obvious reasons )

it doesnt need any special tools. Just some common sense.
This is a really big thing for a big company , A company which is the 3rd largest manufacturer of passenger vehicles in India cannot have a secure website

Can you please tell us that when you found out this flaw and if it has been resolved?
Old 16th May 2022, 17:32   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
This is a really big thing for a big company , A company which is the 3rd largest manufacturer of passenger vehicles in India cannot have a secure website

Can you please tell us that when you found out this flaw and if it has been resolved?
That post is from 12 years ago. I think its safe to say that things have been sorted out. But it would be interesting to know what weakness @Greenhorn had found in the website.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks