Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2021, 13:31   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
SMS "START 0" (without the quotes) to 1909 to enable your NDNC List entry. It takes a few days, but you'll see that the call volume will drop substantially.
Ironically, I have DND activated from long back & keep repeating this every 6 months. I find Truecaller BLOCKING method to be the best. Also greatly assist in blocking SPAM sms messages.

Even TBHP is spamming me now.
I got below PM but no such post in the thread.
Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-capture.jpg

Regards.
Old 12th April 2021, 13:45   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun_S View Post
I have upgraded to Truecaller Premium based on the suggestion from GTO. It is 500 Rs/yr, worth the money. All these spam calls are getting automatically blocked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Even TBHP is spamming me now.
I got below PM but no such post in the thread.
Arun_S is a newbie and hence, posts must have been approved with a delay by one of the mods. The post is live now.
roamer012 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 11:33   #153
BHPian

Few days back I had ordered a Philips LED bulb through Amazon. Just a while ago I received a call from someone claiming to be from Amazon stating that I had ordered this particular Philips LED bulb costing Rs. 404 and that I had won a bumper prize of a Dell laptop.

Of course it was a scam call but shockingly the lady even confirmed my name and address.

I asked her how can I claim the prize and she said that I can either make a payment through the e-mail link that I will be getting or pay cash to the delivery boy.

At this point I said that I have not received any mail from Amazon regarding this offer and will wait till I receive it. The lady said that I will get the prize only if I claim it right now.

I refused and cut the call.

Now I am alarmed as to how the scamsters got my Amazon order details including my address and everything. Also that these guys are so fearless that they even agreed that I can Pay Cash on Delivery.

As a precautionary measure I have changed my Amazon password and deleted the saved card details. But definitely will be careful about my future Cash on Delivery orders as someone from these scamsters might come and collect the cash in exchange of a box filled with a stone.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 30th April 2021 at 11:36.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 11:39   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Now I am alarmed as to how the scamsters got my Amazon order details including my address and everything.
All that information is available on the package that is delivered to you, for all to see - no?
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 11:44   #155
BHPian

Quote:
All that information is available on the package that is delivered to you, for all to see - no?
But the item has not even been shipped yet. And the seller is Cloudtail India. There is definitely an information leakage from the inside.

EDIT: I don't think that item description is mentioned these days on the package.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 30th April 2021 at 12:09.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 11:50   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Now I am alarmed as to how the scamsters got my Amazon order details including my address and everything. Also that these guys are so fearless that they even agreed that I can Pay Cash on Delivery.

As a precautionary measure I have changed my Amazon password and deleted the saved card details. But definitely will be careful about my future Cash on Delivery orders as someone from these scamsters might come and collect the cash in exchange of a box filled with a stone.
This can be done by the delivery agents (hopefully your package been dispatched already? Otherwise, this might actually be a security breach). I don't think they actually have access to your Amazon account and your card details.

Large corporate generally have safe guards in place when even relevant employees try to access a customers personal information.

I have never heard of the delivery agent being actively involved in the scam though. You can definitely drop a tweet and an email to Amazon on this. I would be interested to see how seriously they take it.

Edit: Just saw the last post. If the item has not been shipped then this seems like a customer information breach.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 11:51   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
This can be done by the delivery agents (hopefully your package been dispatched already?
Phone number is not mentioned on the package or attached invoice.

Edit:

Quote:
Few days back...
And Sherlocked is Sherlocked.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 30th April 2021 at 11:59.
mukeshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 14:37   #158
BHPian

Quote:
I had similar issues earlier when I used to get these scam calls whenever I returned something on Amazon. So I assumed these scamsters were getting these details from the delivery agents. But it is really strange that they had this information before the item was even shipped.

Maybe you did win a laptop and you missed your chance .
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 17:20   #159
BHPian

10 minutes ago.
Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-screenshot_20210520170606_qksms.jpg

The URL redirected me to this form. The scammer in this case is unabashedly straightforward. Email Password?

P.s. I duly filled up the form with some of the choiciest NSFW cuss words. Lets see if somebody chooses to respond.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-screenshot_20210520170612_kiwi-browser.jpg
railfanwithk750 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 17:41   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanwithk750 View Post
10 minutes ago.
Please report this site. To the bank and your state police's cyber crime department. This is a .in domain, which should be easy for Indian police to take down and trace the owners.

Report here also:

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safe.../report_phish/

You were aware and escaped, someone else might not be.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:45   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanwithk750 View Post
I duly filled up the form with some of the choiciest NSFW cuss words.

I went to the website now

https://promembers.in/

And it gave me this message so, whoever reported this, well done
Attached Thumbnails
Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-dafa33412b8f4be297dd233a53aff51a.jpeg  

GTsunny is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:54   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsunny View Post
whoever reported this, well done
I reported it on Google Safe Browsing (via the link in my previous post). Though many more people reporting will obviously increase the likelihood of quick action.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 20:24   #163
BHPian

Quote:
I reported it on Google Safe Browsing (via the link in my previous post). Though many more people reporting will obviously increase the likelihood of quick action.
I reported it as well. That was some pretty quick action from Google
railfanwithk750 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 17:19   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

A senior friend had got a call from an unknown number, and the number displayed was only "+08265". He added this number to his blocked list. However, after a few days, he still got a call with the same number displayed.

Any idea why this number did not get blocked by the phone ?
Also, has anyone received calls from such shortened numbers ?

Where could this call have originated from ? (8265 looks to be in S Korea - and is also the code for Koppa in Shimoga district in KA
Old 1st July 2021, 00:41   #165
Senior - BHPian

I have received multiple calls in the last week, claiming to be from HDFC Ergo. I do hold an HDFC Ergo health policy and the caller has my details including address. This is how a typical call goes.

lt starts off by the caller stating that since I have not made any claims in the year 2013-14, HDFC had invested the premium amount in Shares/MF and it is worth around 4 lakhs now. Of course, I know insurance doesn't work this way but I play along.

Apparently, I have an option to either claim it or forego wherein the amount will go to the broker/agent through whom I bought the policy. Once I agree that I want to claim the amount, the caller goes on a rant about the documentation process and tries to verify my address by asking me to confirm the address so that they know they have sent the forms to the right address. I play ignorant and say it is an old address which I don't exactly remember and why it was not sent to the current address where I correctly receive my policy documents. Post this, the caller talks about the requirement of a life insurance policy, which should be a direct plan and not from LIC, HDFC, and a few other companies. This is where I start probing further to ask why life insurance is needed to get my money back and obviously get the exact answer that it is govt mandate, and since my health policy is expired, they need to link the broker code of this policy to the new one. When I counter that the policy is still active, things get interesting.

The first time, the lady was caught off guard and said it might be wrong data on their part and if the policy is active, I need to visit the local HDFC branch and she cannot do anything from her side.

The second time, the lady was more persuasive and said even if the system is incorrectly showing the policy as inactive, the process remains the same, and if I wanted my money I WhatsApp her the details. When I asked whether I can submit the documents at the local HDFC Ergo office, she said the files have gone to the Delhi office and I will have to visit Delhi or send the documents. I asked her to email me the document list and said I still have some follow-up questions which I will ask via email. Got a reply that they are not authorized to send an email and she can text me instead. She even gave the number of her manager but said even the manager will discuss only via call or WhatsApp, not email. She was a seasoned scammer because I told her I feel she is trying to scam me, but her tone or narrative didn't change and she kept on insisting that this was the process.

The third time, I didn't want to waste time and got directly to business. I said I already had received the call before and will submit the documents at their office directly. The lady tried to dissuade me and kept on telling me there was no need. She even went on to say that even if visit the office, I would only get to see the file but will have to submit the documents via Whatsapp, so it didn't make sense Finally she gave a vague address, with names of two different roads and one building. The building exists but HDFC Ergo doesn't have an office there or anywhere in that neighborhood.

I checked the number(s) on TrueCaller and they are marked as HDFC fraud. Thinking about what should I do next. My concern is that they even have my address.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks