Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2021, 16:55   #121
BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey View Post
Thanks for the info. I will surely try it out.
The payment has been made from SBI bank account linked with PhonePe.
Also in the same breath let me ask if a credit card provides better options (if any) for recovery of money? If yes, can somebody please bring out the advantages of credit cards over debit cards against such scenarios.
I will be highly obliged.
Regards
You are welcome, did the number work? I learned you can also file complaint online, you will have to register first. when i checked today the website was down. however found this national Helpline Number - 155260 - 09:00 AM To 06:00 PM

SBI makes things difficult. Private banks take better notice of mails and complaints.
https://cms.onlinesbi.com/CMS/ try using this.

yes credit cards provide better security. not all transactions are credited instantly, especially if the transactions are large. You can cancel the payment within 24 hrs. this is the biggest advantage. also there is some protection against cyber crimes if reported well under time.

Thanks,
RaviCar
RaviCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 21:55   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviCar View Post
You are welcome, did the number work? I learned you can also file complaint online, you will have to register first. when i checked today the website was down. however found this national Helpline Number - 155260 - 09:00 AM To 06:00 PM

SBI makes things difficult. Private banks take better notice of mails and complaints.
https://cms.onlinesbi.com/CMS/ try using this.

yes credit cards provide better security. not all transactions are credited instantly, especially if the transactions are large. You can cancel the payment within 24 hrs. this is the biggest advantage. also there is some protection against cyber crimes if reported well under time.

Thanks,
RaviCar
Sure
Thank you so much.
I am trying to register an online complaint on cyber portal. Also nobody responded on the phone. Probably could be because of today being Sunday.

I think it is time I get a credit card and disable all my debit cards.

Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 01:04   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey View Post
I think it is time I get a credit card and disable all my debit cards.
Thanks
I don't think that would be a wise decision. How do you plan on withdrawing money after banking hours?

Since you are aware about the entire episode, you must try and identify the weaker links and strengthen those, to ensure you are well protected next time.

From whatever limited information you have shared through your original post, Debit Card - as a product - is not at fault.

There are multiple things that can go wrong with a Credit Card too.

And then if you decide to deal in Cash only, you may get pick-pocketed!

So, please fix the weaker links -

1. Lapse in concentration
2. Entering UPI PIN when expecting to receive money
3. Falling for "too good to be true" scenarios
4. Saving card numbers on mediocre or unknown sites
5. Suspicious apps on phone that has access to the data stored on your phone
6. Not setting per-transaction and per-day limits on cards
7. And many more.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 1st February 2021 at 01:08.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 09:46   #124
BHPian

I agree that closing debit card is not a solution. Using a credit card more often may be.
The solution is just being vigilant and speculative.
Thanks,
RaviCar
Old 2nd February 2021, 22:29   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I don't think that would be a wise decision. How do you plan on withdrawing money after banking hours?
Yes, probably I didn’t think it through thoroughly.

Quote:
Since you are aware about the entire episode, you must try and identify the weaker links and strengthen those, to ensure you are well protected next time.

From whatever limited information you have shared through your original post, Debit Card - as a product - is not at fault.
Yes, I need to introspect and identify the weak spots or grey areas.

Quote:
There are multiple things that can go wrong with a Credit Card too.

And then if you decide to deal in Cash only, you may get pick-pocketed!

So, please fix the weaker links -

1. Lapse in concentration
2. Entering UPI PIN when expecting to receive money
3. Falling for "too good to be true" scenarios
4. Saving card numbers on mediocre or unknown sites
5. Suspicious apps on phone that has access to the data stored on your phone
6. Not setting per-transaction and per-day limits on cards
7. And many more.
Thanks a lot for the advices.
Old 15th February 2021, 12:07   #126
Senior - BHPian

So saw this news today. Apparently such frauds can be tracked and arrested if there is motivation for police to act.

Three held for duping Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal's daughter, mastermind absconding

What's stopping the police to act for common citizen's complaints. This is for just 34000/- and for a CM's daughter it's nothing. Many people have lost their entire life savings to such frauds.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 19:33   #127
BHPian

I got a scam call a couple of days back. Wanted to have a bit of fun, but had to cut short as I busy with other work.

First I got a couple of SMS from +91 916387917 and "SPORTS"

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-screenshot_202103241915082.jpg

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-screenshot_202103241915232.jpg

Followed soon by a call from +91 8274967798

Here is the rough transcript of the call (from voice recording):

Scammer Lady: Hello *something something in Hindi*
Me: Sorry I cant understand Hindi
SL: Sir I am calling Amazon Company.
Me: I didn't order anything from Amazon
SL: No sir I am from Amazon company gift 1st prize 2nd prize winner
Me: Amazon is winner? Congrats
SL: Yes sir winner 1st prize 2nd prize
Me: What is the prize
SL: Sir first tell 1st prize 2nd prize
Me: What is the prize?
SL: Sir 1st prize Maruti Safari car from Tata and 2nd prize cash money
Me: Maruti Tata prize for me?
SL: Yes sir, you want car or money? You have to choose sir.
Me: I want caaar, big caar its sooper caaar Tata car big jeep car *I ramble on incoherently hoping she'd cut the call*
SL: Sir first you tell the car color you want. We have Red blue gold
Me: Red. I want red. Red car is available?
SL: Oh my god sir red car is last piece available sir. I will book it for you
Me: Go ahead. I want caar *more non sense*
SL: Sir car is booked. Now you have to pay my managing man Rs.4000 for car transfer and certificate purposes
Me: I should pay Jeff Bezos 4000 rupees?
SL: Yes sir my manager is pay 4000 is you want car
Me: Ok sure. Send me bank details
SL: Ok sir I will send details.

SL: *sends bank details*

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-screenshot2.jpg

By this time I got caught up in my work and couldn't pursue this any longer. I get a total of 18 missed calls from this number over the next 2 hours!

Any way to report this bank account for fraud?

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 24th March 2021 at 19:35. Reason: Spelling
GeneralJazz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 20:46   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Any way to report this bank account for fraud?
SBI had once published an email address for such reports:

https://twitter.com/TheOfficialSBI/s...32047768317953

Also drop a note to your local police's cyber crime department.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 18:06   #129
BHPian

I am getting about 30 calls everyday from the past week. All pointing to ICICI credit card.
No clue how they got my number. Any suggestions to resolve this ?

All numbers start with 022 code. For now, I have enabled Truecaller to reject calls outside my contact list.
It is really frustrating
shatananda.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 23:18   #130
BHPian

I have a Paytm account which I don't use now. It has zero balance and I have even logged off the app since many months. But I keep getting OTP on my mobile which suggests someone is trying to login using my mobile no. I personally see no risk as of now, experts please advise.
Old 7th April 2021, 23:37   #131
Senior - BHPian

A couple of days ago, I got a call from 917042522645
The lady on the other end had my name and said she was calling regarding my HDFC Ergo Health Insurance policy.
She said since I had not made any claim, some bonus had accumulated and whether I wanted to receive the amount or let it go to the insurance agent.
At this point, I suspected fraud, so started recording and played along.
She went on to explain that the insurance premium was invested in the stock market and had grown to a few lakh Rs now. In order to withdraw the amount, I need to provide a list of documents including the regular stuff like PAN, aadhar, etc, and a copy of life insurance that was taken in 2020 and that too directly without any agent. When I questioned why insurance, the answer was vague, something like that is the requirement and my health insurance has lapsed, etc.
When I said the health insurance is active, she excused herself for some time and then abruptly ended the call saying I should contact the policy issuing agent.

Checked the number on truecaller and it came up as "HDFC Ergo Fraud". Is there any way to report this?
Old 8th April 2021, 09:41   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I have a Paytm account which I don't use now. It has zero balance and I have even logged off the app since many months. But I keep getting OTP on my mobile which suggests someone is trying to login using my mobile no. I personally see no risk as of now, experts please advise.
It is possible that someone has a number similar to yours and they enter the incorrect number (i.e. your number) by mistake while trying to log-in.

It might be harmless enough - but if you don't plan on using the PayTM account ever again, you can just close it to ensure it isn't misused: https://support.paytm.com/cst-suppor...e-your-account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
A couple of days ago, I got a call from 917042522645
The lady on the other end had my name and said she was calling regarding my HDFC Ergo Health Insurance policy.
Is there any way to report this?
You can approach the local Cyber Crime police station in your city and see what they have to say. They might take a written complaint. I tried reporting something similar at https://cybercrime.gov.in/ but it was a no-go. Since no crime had actually taken place (except someone pretending to be from a company) it was impossible for me to complete the complaint form.

Do you actually have a HDFC Ergo Health Insurance policy? If yes, it might be good to escalate to HDFC Ergo as well - you can demand to know how your personal details were leaked to a 3rd party.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:26   #133
Senior - BHPian

Issue dates back few years however has re-appeared recencetly. Someone apparently gave my phone number as secondary contact to State Bank of Mysore 6-7 years ago and they called me and asked if I was Mr.Darshan. I told no and after multiple calls from them, I clearly told I am not the person whom they are looking at and they should have validated number while noting it down. Until last year there was no issue. Towards end of last year got a call from some Delhi high court personnel indicating I need to appear to court as I have not paid dues for Baja Allianz. Again I was referred as Mr.Darshan. After a lot of heated exchanges they stopped calling and finally I get a lawyer notice to my phone number addressing Mr.Darshan and an address unrelated to me. Notice clearly mentioned, if I am not the right person, I can ignore, which I have. Question is are banks not supposed to validate the phone number? Even if its secondary, is there no validation?
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:50   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Even I have a PayTM account wallet which I have used very rarely, infact dont even remember when was the last time I had used.

I also got OTPs two or three times on my number even though i am not using paytm. That means someone was trying to use my number to carry out a transaction. I did ignore first time but second or third time I was worried since my Paytm UPI is linked to my Savings account. First thing i did was to block the PayTM UPI so that it is not misused and my savings account remains safe.

I somehow find PayTM a useless platform now and have been using GooglePay for quite sometime and find it much safer alternative.

Best thing is to stay away from opening multiple wallets and accounts if you dont intend to use it.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 12:06   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Question is are banks not supposed to validate the phone number? Even if its secondary, is there no validation?
Till a few years back I used to get updates for someone else's SBI account in Vijaywada. However, I never had an experience quite as interesting as yours.

If you think about it, it is quite possible for this mistake to occur. To update your email address and mobile offline you just fill in a form at the bank, sign it and attach some sort of ID proof.

In case of email address and mobile number I've never seen any sort of follow-up verification so whatever is entered in the form goes into the bank's systems as-is.

This 'Mr Darshan' seems to have given a fake number deliberately - the address was probably fake as well.

Since you have received a legal notice, you can seek advice from someone in this thread (Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks