Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2022, 18:42   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

yeah now that it's gone - the form is not there any more -
There was a form on the customer service section - If you typed in your registration number, it would populate your name, address,phone number, vehicle chassis number, last serviced mileage among other things. You could do this with any tata car and get customer details out of their CRM

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th May 2022 at 18:43.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 19:44   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
That post is from 12 years ago. I think its safe to say that things have been sorted out. But it would be interesting to know what weakness @Greenhorn had found in the website.
Oh sorry , I didn't see the date of the post . By 12 years they should have solved all those issues on their website .
Old 17th May 2022, 00:05   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
...If you typed in your registration number, it would populate...
Holy cow
What kind of jackass did they hire to do the website. I can't even begin to imagine the flak they would get if this happened now. 12 years ago was a simpler time I guess!
Old 17th May 2022, 00:26   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Holy cow
What kind of jackass did they hire to do the website. I can't even begin to imagine the flak they would get if this happened now. 12 years ago was a simpler time I guess!
I'm actually pretty impressed. Even though they screwed up from a privacy perspective, from technical perspective, where most manufacturers would have simply built a dumb form, they decided to (before cloud and api's were a way of life) get this data from a (most probably) on premise siebel CRM and onto an internet facing portal!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 12:21   #245
Senior - BHPian

Govt warns of fake SBI SMS alert (Hindustan Times report)
Quote:
"A message in circulation claiming that your @TheOfficialSBI account has been blocked is #FAKE Do not respond to emails/SMS asking to share your personal or banking details. If you receive any such message, report immediately at report.phishing@sbi.co.in," the tweet avers.

It can be noted that this is not the first time that such fake messages are being circulated. Earlier, in the month of March this year, several SBI customers had reported that they received an SMS saying that their account has got suspended due to non-compliance of RBI's KYC norms. The message also contained a link that asked them to click on it and complete the KYC.
Old 22nd June 2022, 14:06   #246
AZT
BHPian

Electricity scam messages are in vogue looks like. This is the second one I recd this week.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-d9d20adbdd324ea99ec9aa214e6d2852.jpeg
Old 24th June 2022, 13:30   #247
AZT
BHPian

Some good news about money being recovered but also more cases of people falling for the electricity being disconnected SMS fraud. With all the KYC we have on all SIM cards, can’t believe the senders can’t just be arrested for sending these messages.

Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-c20e582238074c9c8a6fad51b45f01d2.jpeg
Old 24th June 2022, 13:44   #248
avk
BHPian

I always report the spam calls/sms that I receive using the DND app of TRAI. For every third violation they disconnect the number and blacklist the subscriber. May help to some extent.
Also you can set your DND status for your number here.
avk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 18:16   #249
Senior - BHPian

BESCOM cautions users regarding fraudulent messages
Source: Deccan Herald

Quote:
In a new form of cybercrime, at least 10 Bescom consumers have received fraudulent messages saying that the power connections to their houses will be disconnected owing to payment failure.

Those who responded to these messages have lost money and have now raised complaints with the cyber crime police.
Old 30th June 2022, 17:16   #250
BHPian

I received the BESCOM message. Knew it was scam but kept talking to the guy who called me in the evening. He said the payment is not sync'ed on his side and he will help me to get it done.

He asked me to type 'BESCOM quick support' in google play app. It brought up 'Teamviewer quick support' app. He asked me to install it and I asked him what will he do with it. Told him I know what teamviewer is used for and why is he doing this. He disconnected the call.
PreludeSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 19:09   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
He asked me to type 'BESCOM quick support' in google play app. It brought up 'Teamviewer quick support' app.
How does that happen? Just a bit curious about that.
Old 30th June 2022, 19:20   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
How does that happen? Just a bit curious about that.
Google search (which is what powers Google's Play Store search) works by processing what you type into the search box (called "search term") into a set of standardised terms (called "search keywords"). There is a lot of processing that goes into converting the search term into a set of search keywords and there is an entire industry that tries to game this process.

In this case, the phrase "BESCOM quick support" I think results in two keywords - "BESCOM" and "quick support". The TeamViewer QuickSupport app is a clear winner for the latter keyword (a near-exact match on app name + very high search-to-install ratio + large multinational publisher + massive existing install base etc.); and might show a very small match for the former keyword also (maybe someone mentioned BESCOM in the reviews/comments section; or some webpage linked or mentioned TeamViewer while talking about BESCOM). Net result, Google considers the TeamViewer app is the best match for the search term and puts it up as the first item in the search results page.

Edit: In this case "anyrandomstring quick support" throws up TeamViewer as the first result; so I think the second keyword's match is so strong that the first can do little to dent it.

Last edited by binand : 30th June 2022 at 19:24.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 22:48   #253
BHPian

A Twitter thread on UPI and sms based fraud using fake tech support. This is something new and I couldn't make head and tail of it as the steps required to pull it off seem more than usual. Still people are falling for this scam. Experts can please shed some more light on this.

https://twitter.com/logic/status/154...6FAOEgy6Q&s=19

Link to the original post

https://nocdn.peakd.com/@tejasbalapa...rt-hive-161155
Old 13th July 2022, 07:50   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
A Twitter thread on UPI and sms based fraud
There is no UPI and sms based fraud reported here. There is only someone who saw "strange UPI related SMS" and put two and two together to get twenty-two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
the steps required to pull it off seem more than usual.
The steps are the same - get credit card number, expiry and CVV by whatever method that works. Here that method involved some elaborate "we will refund to UPI" followed by "it is not working, please fill up this form". Extracts from the linked article:
  1. due to technical issues they are unable to book the ticket so they will have to refund the money
  2. He asked for all the bank details, UPI ID and all necessary info for carrying the refund.
  3. He tried several times but there was some " technical error" when he was trying to automate something I did not understand.
  4. he wanted to try some new method. He sent me a link from surveymonkey... and casually asked me for my card details.
  5. he wanted me to install an app called "SMS forwarder" so I did.
(the last step is to get access to the OTP I imagine).
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 17:37   #255
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am facing a weird situation. I am being bombarded by spam calls every minute from different numbers. I have received at least 100 calls in the past one hour. These are bot calls and not by a human being. It’s continuously saying something about IndusInd bank credit cards and something I should do immediately. The calls are coming every minute. I switched off my phone for some time but the calls started pouring in the moment I switched it on.

Any suggestions. This is really annoying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks