Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2021, 12:32   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Last week, I got a call from a girl claiming to be from "BANK" (which immediately set SCAM alarms in mind).

She said that she is calling regarding issuance of a new SBI credit card to me and that I should first confirm to her how "many" SBI credit cards I have. I retorted angrily, since you are calling from SBI, you should have my card details and how many SBI credit cards I have.

She said she cannot search for my credit card details but she needs to "verify" the credit card number from me.

Then she said something shocking - She said I had applied for an SBI BPCL credit card which was rejected.(Truth is the credit card application was rejected at first, but was approved later after I shot an angry e-mail to SBI regarding how their agents literally beg for taking credit cards through them and how inspite of having a good credit rating, my card application was rejected!!!)

The "verify credit card number" thing confirmed that it was a scam but what shocked me was how she was able to specifically said I had applied for an SBI BPCL credit card and that it was rejected!!! I angrily told here I am not interested and don't waste my time and cut the call.

Within seconds she calls back, only to say angrily "Tameez sey baat karo"(Speak with respect) and cut the call . As if such scamsters are highly respectable people!!! I could only laugh in amazement and did not call back to fire her, as I knew there was no point in spoiling my mood further with such professional scamsters, who are used to getting bad mouthed daily).

I did complain to SBI credit card helpline abut this, they assured me that my card data is safe and asked me to give the number through which I received the call and to use the app to block/unblock the credit card when needed for safety purposes.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 13:57   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post

Since you have received a legal notice, you can seek advice from someone in this thread (Calling Lawyers & CAs on this forum to provide free consultations).
The legal notice mentions that this was meant for Mr Darshan and if you are not, please ignore. I have consulted my lawyer and have been asked to ignore. Phone calls have stopped for some weeks now. Will see if there is anything further to this.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 14:06   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

In line with what skanchan95 shared:

I got a call a short while back saying the person is from kasavanahalli branch of the bank that I have an account with. He started .. based on my good transaction history, blah, blah, blah ..

I stopped him and asked him for the branch phone number. He says he cant give that but I can talk to his manager. Packed him off saying I dont care who his manager is, but I want the branch phone number. Cut the call soon after that.
Old 8th April 2021, 15:12   #139
Senior - BHPian

Few filters for me:

As soon as I hear the word "Behalf" (I am talking on behalf of XXX Bank), I simply say "not interested" and cut the call.

If he/she says I am calling from the bank I have an account with, I ask them to call me from your landline and cut the call.

Thirdly, I don't share any information (even my name) if the call is not initiated by me to bank, mobile service providers or anybody else. Exception is when I have initiated the call and expecting a call in return.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 8th April 2021 at 15:14.
Old 8th April 2021, 15:23   #140
BHPian

Quote:
you can just close it to ensure it isn't misused: https://support.paytm.com/cst-suppor...e-your-account
Thanks, I tried this link and it asks for the documents submitted during KYC. I don't recall submitting any documents for KYC. In this case how can I close the account?
Also note that I have not linked my bank account to PayTM. When required I used to transfer the required amount, usual few hundreds to utilise restaurant offers.
Old 9th April 2021, 00:28   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can approach the local Cyber Crime police station in your city and see what they have to say.
I don't think they will register any complaint since the fraud didn't happen. I was thinking if there is some mechanism to report such numbers to DOT and the telecom operator.
Old 9th April 2021, 09:55   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I don't think they will register any complaint since the fraud didn't happen. I was thinking if there is some mechanism to report such numbers to DOT and the telecom operator.
Please don't make such assumptions - instead, please do your civic duty. You might be protecting the life savings of someone else by doing so.

DOT and operator (how do you even know who the operator is, considering MNP is a thing?) are ill-placed to track and trace the perpetrators. The police is. In Indian law intent to commit fraud is a crime too, even if the victim doesn't fall for it.
Old 11th April 2021, 17:29   #143
BHPian

Dear customer your INDUSIND Credit Card point worth INR 8732 expired by today. Kindly redeem your point in cash or voucher by click here http://induspromos.com/

This is the 3rd time I have received a message like this. One was for SBI as well. At first, you think it is true because of the random amount that is mentioned and not wanting to lose the money, you try to hurry things up and then fall into this trap.

I received this from SBI bank the first time and clicked on the link in the message. The webpage that opens up asks for all details like the expiry date as well as the CVV number on the card. Apart from the grammar in the message this was the second give away as no bank will ask you for all these details.

be safe people and dont fall into these traps.
bigben is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 20:55   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
.... Apart from the grammar in the message ..
Good catch.
The grammar and spelling mistakes are made deliberately. Their target audience / potential customers are people who are 'stupid' to not notice or realise the spelling mistakes.
JohnyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 10:51   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Dear customer your INDUSIND Credit Card point worth INR 8732 expired by today. Kindly redeem your point in cash or voucher by click here http://induspromos.com/
Thank you for sharing this bigben.

Wow, that's such a poorly designed fake website. I've seen much better ones - complete with an about page, services, contact, etc all copied from the bank's real website.

The website's domain seems to be registered with GoDaddy. I have reported it to their abuse team - https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/AbuseReport.

Name:  induspromos.comwhois.png
Views: 468
Size:  41.6 KB

A request to everyone - if you see links you're suspicious of (especially "shortened" URLs) please do not click on them. Even if you don't enter any information there's a lot of other nasty stuff some of these websites can do in the background - especially if you're on a mobile phone.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 11:29   #146
Senior - BHPian

I have a different problem.

I was using VIVONET (MICROSCAN) till last month & due to their regular breakdowns, i chose to shift to JIO.
From the day later of my informing VIVONET about discontinuing their services, I am flooded with SPAM calls. It seems like that VIVONET has shared my cell number to every marketeer out there. It just a speculation because I have neither shared, nor given my cell number to anyone else during this time.

If its true, very disturbing of these companies to get back revenge from their clients.

Regards.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th April 2021 at 12:37. Reason: Typo
Old 12th April 2021, 12:41   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I got a call from a girl claiming to be from "BANK" (which immediately set SCAM alarms in mind).
Just got a call from +91 6289-770125 and he said his name was Deepak Rathod, he said he was from the bank and he asked if I have my debit card, I said I don’t have it with me and he said ok and cut the call.

Strike 1
I went on TrueCaller to check the name and, it says Bank of Baroda Deepak Rathod and it’s a Jio number Kolkata.

Strike 2
I called him back and asked him the department, he said he is calling from BKC office and this time he was very defensive, I told him I have my debit card, he said it’s not needed and ‘I asked him what did you call for earlier?’, and he said get your debit card updated at the branch, long pause between both of us and, then he hung up.

Reported him via TRAI app, and reported on TrueCaller and blocked.
GTsunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 12:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
From the day later of my informing VIVONET about discontinuing their services, I am flooded with SPAM calls.
SMS "START 0" (without the quotes) to 1909 to enable your NDNC List entry.

It takes a few days, but you'll see that the call volume will drop substantially.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 13:09   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
She said that she is calling regarding issuance of a new SBI credit card to me and that I should first confirm to her how "many" SBI credit cards I have. I retorted angrily, since you are calling from SBI, you should have my card details and how many SBI credit cards I have.
I have had this experience twice, both times after applying for SBI Credit Cards. In the first instance, I wasn't even interested in their card, but a sales executive from SBI card division(GE money, I guess) visited our office and convinced me to apply, I got the card soon after, and few days later got these sort of calls on regular basis, trying every bit to convince me to opt for their 'insurance' for my card, I ignored the calls. This was back in 2013/14.

After few years I requested for cancellation of my card, lived happily without a headache for couple of years, then the bug to avail 10% cashbacks/discounts on mobile phones/electronics bit me and applied online for a new card, again with SBI. And I was informed that my online application was rejected, I was ok with that and moved on. But after a week or so, got a call from their customer care stating that my application was rejected 'by mistake' and if I submit my documents in physical form, I will be issued with a new card. Initially I was apprehensive about giving documents but after speaking with few friends who know a thing or two about these procedures, agreed to provide my documents to an executive, my documents were collected in no time and I was issued with a card. Basically from my understanding, guys at local branches hate online applications, if we walk in or when they come to us, they add one more number to their sales target. Hence my online application was rejected. And soon after receiving the new card, I was getting those 'insure your SBI card' calls again.

I suspect SBI or GE Money is selling user data ( mobile number, application details) to third parties and these type of calls are result of that. I have recently got myself an ICICI Amazon card and soon will be closing my account with SBI, there are shady things going on with SBI cards, I believe.

Last edited by tchsvy : 12th April 2021 at 13:11.
Old 12th April 2021, 13:10   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I have a different problem.

I was using VIVONET (MICROSCAN) till last month & due to their regular breakdowns, i chose to shift to JIO.
From the day later of my informing VIVONET about discontinuing their services, I am flooded with SPAM calls. It seems like that VIVONET has shared my cell number to every marketeer out there. It just a speculation because I have neither shared, nor given my cell number to anyone else during this time.

If its true, very disturbing of these companies to get back revenge from their clients.

Regards.
I have upgraded to Truecaller Premium based on the suggestion from GTO. It is 500 Rs/yr, worth the money. All these spam calls are getting automatically blocked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks