Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 19:45   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
Didn't bother to call the bank to check if my a/c survived, as I knew this is an obvious phishing/smishing attempt.
Please report abuse of bit.ly links here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...JgpvA/viewform

This is in addition to reporting it to Google Safe Browsing:

https://safebrowsing.google.com/safe.../report_phish/

You might save the hard-earned money of someone else.
binand is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 21:44   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
There's something very scary that my wife just went through.

We are awaiting a courier that was dispatched through DTDC. My wife googled their customer care number in order to ask them where the package is, as in their website on searching with the tracking number, it showed it's somewhere near our area.
Should I be worried? I am not sure. But guys, please be extremely careful. The scary thing is that this is not some shady call we received, but this happened when we googled the courier company number and called them ourselves for assistance.
My Dad fell victim to this scam. In his case he received a link to pay for a small amount which was applicable because of 'wrong/incomplete address' . And he went through the process of payment and scamsters have cleaned out his account of every penny. Luckily it was not his primary account hence the damage was limited.

We've lodged complaint with bank/courier company and the police. According to police it's a well organized group of scamsters it seems.
Old 30th August 2021, 22:19   #183
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone heard or know how this scam works ?

My friend was the victim and he was too busy with blocking his cards and accounts, couldn't get more details.
So, he had to get his SIM card replaced as it wasn't working well. He got it done at a nearby Airtel store and next day got a call saying his identity needs to be verified failing which the sim will be deactivated. He was asked to transfer a token Rs.10 to an "Airtel" account that would be refunded once the verification process was completed. During the call, the guy asked if he has an account in a particular bank which is when he became suspicious and cut the call. Yes, he did have an account in that bank and lost 13k!
My friend says he felt the guy was able to read his sms messages and probably cloned his SIM ? Is that possible ?
I also don't know if he actually completed the transaction to transfer "Rs.10", I guess he must have done that from some UPI based app on the phone and that was actually used to siphon off 13k ?

Last edited by NPV : 30th August 2021 at 22:36.
Old 30th August 2021, 23:04   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
My suspicion is that the SIM swap fraud happened first. That's when he would have realized that his SIM isn't working. Transferring a small sum may have revealed his account number which could have been used on a mobile app of the bank and configured using an OTP with ther sim already in the possession of the thief.
Old 30th August 2021, 23:17   #185
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
My suspicion is that the SIM swap fraud happened first. That's when he would have realized that his SIM isn't working.
I think he genuinely had an issue with the old SIM, but it could be that his old SIM was repurposed/reused by staff at the Airtel store at the time he was given the replacement ? Definitely seems like an insider job and those guys must be part of this scam.

Last edited by NPV : 30th August 2021 at 23:18.
Old 30th August 2021, 23:20   #186
BHPian

Got a call saying credit card points are expiring which they will convert to cash and credit to my credit card. Eventually I was asked for a pin from sms. When I cross questioned, they became alert and cut the call. New reason, same technique for stealing from credit card.
Very professional call with good English.
Old 31st August 2021, 09:20   #187
Oxy
BHPian

"Heartiest congratulations Sir, you have won KBC lottery worth 25 lakhs!"

Me: "You can keep that money, please consider it as a gift from my side for bringing me this happy news".

*click*

Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 11:11   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Needs more information.

1. As per TRAI rules new SIMs (replacements, MNP, upgrades, owner change...) have a mandatory SMS blackout period of 24 hours. So in the first 24 hours you can't do online banking, credit card, UPI transactions (all of which require SMS OTP to work). So it is not clear how (what mode of transaction) he lost the 13K. Or even how the caller expected him to transfer the token Rs. 10.

2. As far as I know, if a SIM is cloned only one of them (original or the clone) can exist on the network at a time. So in that case the new SIM should have gone off the network and wouldn't have been handling calls.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 11:21   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Got a call saying credit card points are expiring which they will convert to cash and credit to my credit card. Eventually I was asked for a pin from sms. When I cross questioned, they became alert and cut the call. New reason, same technique for stealing from credit card.
Very professional call with good English.
I also got the same call yesterday. Must say that they were talking very professionally with good English.

They claimed to be from Credit card verification department and gave the same card-points-expiring story.

Initially I pretended to be very cooperative to elongate the call and understand their modus-operandi, after which my call was transferred to senior officer who repeated the same story and asked whether we can start the verification process.

When I asked, which bank card they were referring to, they got alert and randomly said ICICI Bank. When I told them that I don't have any ICICI Bank credit card (even though I have), they disconnected the call immediately.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 18:53   #190
BHPian

Hey guys. With the Kaun Banega Crorepati(Who wants to be a millionaire) back on air, the KBC scams have also seen a revival.

So the scam goes as such: You will receive either a call or most probably a whatsapp text stating that you've won a lucky draw organized for Sim card users of various Telecom companies. The whatsapp text asks you to contact another number for further processing of your reward money which ranges from 25 Lakhs to 50 Lakhs. You are asked to pay them around 25 thousand rupees for GST and processing fees and that's how the scam goes. People have lost upto 2.5 Lakh rupees to such scam.

Kindly be aware of this scam and inform your family and friends of the same. This is an yearly phenomenon and people are getting scammed by it. Sharing some of such news.
1. Year - 2021 https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/82642992.cms

2. Year - 2020
https://www.freepressjournal.in/mumb...-fake-kbc-call

3. Year - 2019 https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...857-2019-10-01

Attaching a picture of the text I received today.
Attached Thumbnails
Fake / Fraud / Scam Calls-screenshot_20210905183600_whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by Moto_Bear : 5th September 2021 at 18:55. Reason: Added news reports
Moto_Bear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 22:33   #191
BHPian

Received SMS stating my SBI account will be suspended and asking me to do KYC. First SMS came at 11AM and second one at 12:15PM.
Name:  tst.png
Views: 674
Size:  27.9 KB

The bit.ly url was pointing to https://713b-157-35-71-172.ngrok.io.
Name:  tst2.png
Views: 582
Size:  112.2 KB

It was late by the time I noticed it (around 2PM), but immediately reported to report.phishing@sbi.co.in, incident@cert-in.org.in, contact@ngrok.com and bit.ly. By 3PM, the site was taken down and received confirmation from CERT as well.
Name:  tst3.png
Views: 566
Size:  12.4 KB
Holyghost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 18:03   #192
BHPian

Today, received a call from a person employed in a company 'On road India'. I don't even know if that exists.
She says that we are providing you 3 years Roadside Assistance (RSA) service. They know everything about me like - my name, car model, address etc.
She said your RSA card is activated which is applicable all over India.

She just wanted to confirm my address. I was curious because I've already purchased RSA & Extended Warranty till 5 years at the time of car purchase.
I thought these guys have a tie-up with Ford so they may be sending me a RSA card for the extended years.
Upon asking her if there's any charges, she said 4,000.

I got furious & told her to not call me again.

This proves that whatever car we purchase, all our details are out in the open to these kind of companies. Our Privacy is at risk here.
Old 26th October 2021, 18:16   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

One more. Received this SMS:
Name:  AB3CBA802337469C98925618663D7F62.jpeg
Views: 566
Size:  136.6 KB

Where should I report this?

Thanks.
Old 26th October 2021, 20:30   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel Truecaller is a decent app just to filter some of these scam attempts - I get around 5-10 calls on a daily basis with majority of them identified by Truecaller as "scam"/"fake"/similar tags on the basis of which I just ignore and block those calls.

A very few # still do pass through - which I can handle on a daily basis.
Old 26th October 2021, 20:42   #195
BHPian

A relative of mine in hurry booked a 7AM flight instead of 7PM (it should have been 1900 hours). He was not able to do the mandatory web check in and so he called me. I called goair and then I got to know that the ticket was of 7AM. I was told that the refund amount will only be Rs260. After not even 5 minutes I recieved a call from an unknown number and the caller told me that he is calling from a travel agency and he got to know about some ticket issue and asked me to share the details. I clearly asked how did he got my number and he very confidently told me that they have a way to get numbers that have issues with airline tickets. He asked me to tell the exact issue and then I asked him what his name was and the name of his agency and then he disconnected the call. It seems to me that goair customer centre agents are mixed up with shady people who claim refund amount in their account instead of passenger's account in garb of helping unsuspecting customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
Today, received a call from a person employed in a company 'On road India'.

This proves that whatever car we purchase, all our details are out in the open to these kind of companies. Our Privacy is at risk here.
I recieved a similar call a day or two after I gave my car for second year periodic servicing. They even had the audacity of using another car dealer's name and said that the RSA is being offered by them. I simply disconnected the call thinking why would anyother dealership offer me a cheap RSA.

Last edited by Sran : 26th October 2021 at 20:47.
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks