Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 10:34   #1321
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Thanks @fiat_tarun. I have been looking for a good backpack to replace my trusty but beat-up Argus and this looks like a good deal!

I haven't received any intimation from HDFC about replacing my non-chip card, though Axis did send out an SMS to that effect. So what's the deal? Will our non-chip cards stop working after a certain date?
Old 18th October 2013, 10:36   #1322
BHPian

Hello,

I have a question for all Citibank Platinum Credit card holders - How does one redeem their points? I have about 1000 points and I want to know where can we use those points? I think there is no offer on using Citibank card on Flipkart right?

I want to know the websites where I can put the points to some use. If not online shopping then any other uses in restaurants/recharges?
Old 18th October 2013, 10:40   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I have a question for all Citibank Platinum Credit card holders - How does one redeem their points? I have about 1000 points and I want to know where can we use those points?
Go to www.citibank.co.in. Under Credit Cards / Prepaid Cards, there is a link, "Redeem Rewards". Click on that and take it up from there.
Old 18th October 2013, 10:43   #1324
gemi_kk

Quote:
Hello,

I have a question for all Citibank Platinum Credit card holders - How does one redeem their points? I have about 1000 points and I want to know where can we use those points? I think there is no offer on using Citibank card on Flipkart right?

I want to know the websites where I can put the points to some use. If not online shopping then any other uses in restaurants/recharges?
I think, it varies from card to card.
If you are having an indian oil card, you can redeem points for fuel at any IOC outlet. Tell the boy, he would do it for you.

Or you can buy any item and Call Citi care, Tell them that you want to redeem your points against a perticular transaction. they will adjust the amount accordingly.

Old 18th October 2013, 11:59   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just contact your call centre and inform them you wish to adjust 1000 points against your dues for the month. That is what I do.
Old 19th October 2013, 09:19   #1326
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I got an sms from SCB yesterday about non-EMV cards being deactivated after 30/10. While mine has come that of my wife and my MC Titanium have not. I am raising stink at the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
What RBI has told banks is to replace all magstripe cards with chip cards if the card has been used internationally at least once. If your other cards have not been used internationally, the bank needn't replace it. Haven't heard of blanket withdrawal of magstripe cards yet - likely a bank-specific move.
Got a call from Ms.DasGupta Sinha's assistant yesterday. He stated the same thing. The cut off for the International Query is September 2011 as per RBI. The sms did not give the card no. so became generic insted of specific.
Talking to him I also brought up the late receipt of cards by my son and daughter. Incidentally, all are Chip cards. He was not aware that the cards were being sent out late (normal is 30-45 days in advance). Since I was on the road I could only give him the children's bank account nos. and not the card details. He said he will track these down.
Old 19th October 2013, 10:29   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What RBI has told banks is to replace all magstripe cards with chip cards if the card has been used internationally at least once. If your other cards have not been used internationally, the bank needn't replace it. Haven't heard of blanket withdrawal of magstripe cards yet - likely a bank-specific move.
While my Citibank visa platinum card is replaced and there is no mag strip on corporate card it is magnatic strip + chip.
Still diners Club is not replaced.

Icici on other hand has not replaced either my visa or master card.

All these cards were used internationally.
Today morning I checked in a hotel in dubai and funny thing is that corporate card worked without asking for pin.
It was inserted in POS with chip inside and was never swiped using magnatic strip.

Last edited by amitk26 : 19th October 2013 at 10:32.
Old 19th October 2013, 16:30   #1328
BANNED

Depends. Most US sites do not even ask for the cardholders name.
Old 19th October 2013, 19:43   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Icici on other hand has not replaced either my visa or master card.

All these cards were used internationally.
Today morning I checked in a hotel in dubai and funny thing is that corporate card worked without asking for pin.
It was inserted in POS with chip inside and was never swiped using magnatic strip.
I can't comment on what individual banks are doing, I am only quoting from this RBI circular: http://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/noti...RCOM130213.pdf - you can see the date 30/6/2013 repeatedly emphasized in that document.

As far as the hotel in Dubai goes - obviously its acquirer does not come under the jurisdiction of our RBI, so our policies don't apply. Let us wait till the UAE's equivalent of RBI mandates Chip and pin.
Old 19th October 2013, 19:57   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as the hotel in Dubai goes - obviously its acquirer does not come under the jurisdiction of our RBI, so our policies don't apply. Let us wait till the UAE's equivalent of RBI mandates Chip and pin.
But shouldn't Citibank refuse authorization of charge on Indian issued cards worldwide without PIN ? I am sure charge authorization requst should hit bank servers at some point during transection.

I understand RBI has no jurisdiction outside India but is it not the duty of banks or intermediatery like visa/master to protect interest of customers irrespective of where the card is swiped ?
Old 19th October 2013, 22:18   #1331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
But shouldn't Citibank refuse authorization of charge on Indian issued cards worldwide without PIN ? I am sure charge authorization requst should hit bank servers at some point during transection.

I understand RBI has no jurisdiction outside India but is it not the duty of banks or intermediatery like visa/master to protect interest of customers irrespective of where the card is swiped ?
Citibank needs the business, right? Why would they do anything like what you suggest? :-) The UAE-based acquirers wouldn't change their systems to accommodate you (Citibank) until their local regulator tells them so, so in the end you (Citibank) end up losing all that business. For credit card companies, international swipes are gold mines - look at the exchange rate they charge and the prevalent rate.

It is very, very rare to see a company going the extra mile beyond what the local regulations dictate to protect the interests of customers, btw. I am hard-pressed to think of any examples right now.
Old 20th October 2013, 16:18   #1332
BHPian

I had a fraudulent charge on my ICICI Platinum Visa last week. Called up customer care immediately to report it. Although it was just 62 cents, I rather not risk any further fraud charges from that merchant. They blocked my card and asked me to place a request for a new one. I asked them to re-activate my current card i.e. the blocked one since I'll have to update it everywhere. They said they can do it but I'll have to take responsibility should any unauthorized transactions take place henceforth. I do not condone their actions regarding this issue but decided to give in and order a replacement.

Also, they couldn't reverse the charges since the minimum claim amount is Rs. 100 and my claim was amounting to Rs. 32

Quote:
Hello,

Does anyone know the same thing for ICICI cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Just contact your call centre and inform them you wish to adjust 1000 points against your dues for the month. That is what I do.
Is it only Citibank that allows this or is it offered by other banks too?
Old 20th October 2013, 18:42   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post

Is it only Citibank that allows this or is it offered by other banks too?
I don't think so. AFAIK it is only CITIBANK.
Old 20th October 2013, 21:10   #1334
BHPian

Thanks. It's best I call them up. BTW, I've got a mail suggesting me to upgrade to a chip card too.

I'd like to ask that when I swipe my debit or credit card at any merchant, why doesn't it ask for a PIN verification?
Old 21st October 2013, 14:07   #1335
BANNED

I think in a few months once the pressure eases all cards will become chip cards. At the moment while my SBI ATM Card (Issued Dec-12) is Chipped the SCB ATM Card is not. Both are Platinum cards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks