Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2014, 22:19   #1621
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
As per RBI instructions, Indian debit cards are blocked from international transactions by default. You just need to get in touch with the issuing bank to enable it (it might even be a self-service option in your bank's netbanking interface).

Make sure you turn it off once done.
Are you sure the bank will be able to help me out? Is there any such option to turn it on/off?
Old 29th June 2014, 23:27   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
...Indian debit cards(though, they claim that they're international) are not accepted for foreign transactions.
International refers to physical card swipe or ATM transactions.

If the UK merchant accepts PayPal, try paying through them. Not sure as I've never used a debit card with PayPal. Also, PayPal is safer than paying the merchant directly.
Old 30th June 2014, 06:47   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Are you sure the bank will be able to help me out? Is there any such option to turn it on/off?
Of course. The bank will never prevent you from doing any activity which earns them money. :-)

Here are screenshots of the interface in my HDFC Bank netbanking. This is where you enable international transactions:

The Credit Card Thread-hdfcbank2.png

Once you have enabled it, you use this second one to set the limit:

The Credit Card Thread-hdfcbank1.png

This whole thing comes from this particular RBI circular:

http://rbi.org.in/scripts/Notificati...Id=7874&Mode=0
Old 30th June 2014, 14:50   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
Of course. The bank will never prevent you from doing any activity which earns them money. :-)

Here are screenshots of the interface in my HDFC Bank netbanking. This is where you enable international transactions:

Thanks for the information, I have checked on my bank's website and they indeed do have netbanking facilities and various other options. Now all I have to do is to apply for it and receive my log in ID and password. Thanks again :-)
Old 30th June 2014, 16:09   #1625
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't received any letter, but today when I logged into my netbanking I saw a new card, "Jet Privilege HDFC Bank World Card" (which is a MasterCard from the number) with 50% higher credit limit than my existing Visa Signature Card. The existing card shows 0 for credit limit and balance, with the status, "Transferred".

I don't want an airline co-branded card (in fact, I don't want any co-branded card). I want (a) some way of getting 0 joining/annual fees (with reasonable credit spending requirements) and (b) full fuel surcharge waiver at ALL pumps across India. Is there any other card that is currently actively offered by HDFC Bank with these features? My fuel spend this year is expected to reach 1.3-1.4L, so this is a major requirement for me.

If not HDFC Bank, then who else for a full fuel surcharge waiver?
All the HDFC Bank Cards have Zero Surcharge Waiver at ALL Petrol Pumps including Shell. So all you need to choose a card with zero annual fee. I would suggest Platinum Edge Card which they have launched recently.
Old 30th June 2014, 17:48   #1626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
...So all you need to choose a card with zero annual fee. I would suggest Platinum Edge Card which they have launched recently.
I do NOT think there are any more "free" cards. There is an annual fee, but waived off based on the spending limit. At least, this is what I have come across when I was searching for the "best" credit card.
Old 30th June 2014, 17:54   #1627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I do NOT think there are any more "free" cards. There is an annual fee, but waived off based on the spending limit. At least, this is what I have come across when I was searching for the "best" credit card.
It all depends on where you work and what kind of Salary Account you have with them. My Wife & my close friend has got Life Time Free Superia Credit Card from HDFC with no hidden charges like Annual Fee or Renewal Fee or Condition of $$$ spending in a year.
Old 3rd July 2014, 22:28   #1628
BANNED

My HDFC bank credit card recently got compromised. Luckily the amount was only INR6.09/- doen at some international merchant which showed up as BRIGANTNCLUB . I got the card blocked . Now even though i have asked for a replacement card HDFC wants 100INR plus Taxes for card replacement. MY annual billing to HDFC with this card has been about >6lacs per year . I find it offensice they ask such meagre amount .

Now Hdfc doesnot have a OTP facility as fixed option on online/offline transactions. They only have verified by visa code / otp option for online domestic transaction .

Is there any bank in India which offers OTP as mandatory option for all domestic/international , online/offline transactions for there credit cards with zero surcharges on any petrol bunks and under 2% foreign currency markup fees.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 3rd July 2014 at 22:31.
Old 4th July 2014, 12:21   #1629
Senior - BHPian

I have a HDFC Bank Platinum Plus Chip Credit Card.

I used to get petrol surcharge waiver on this card. But for the month of Jun 2014, the bank has not credited surcharge in my monthly statement.

Also, the statement mentions that "petrol surcharge waiver feature on your credit card is being revised effective 15th August2014. please refer www.hdfcbank.com"

Is HDFC Bank planning to discontinue petrol surcharge waiver ?

I have written to customer care, waiting for reply.

Rohan
Old 9th July 2014, 13:55   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I can see they reversed the Petrol surcharge waiver in June statement but my statement also mentions that "petrol surcharge waiver feature on your credit card is being revised effective 15th August2014. please refer www.hdfcbank.com".

Why couldn't they include the update in the statement itself, there is nothing on HDFCBank.com on the home page, or perhaps it is hidden so I can't see it :-)
Rohan
What are they up to?
Old 9th July 2014, 14:09   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using Citibank rewards card? I was looking for a card, which provides discounts on Dining and Movies (tickets).
Old 9th July 2014, 15:57   #1632
BANNED

Slightly OT. got an sms from my back (SCB) that the daily limit (24 hour) of by ATM/Debit card is reduced to Rs.100,000 for foreign transactions. If I want higher then I should request a chip card.
Old 9th July 2014, 16:21   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Slightly OT. got an sms from my back (SCB) that the daily limit (24 hour) of by ATM/Debit card is reduced to Rs.100,000 for foreign transactions. If I want higher then I should request a chip card.
I also received the same SMS at 3:17 pm today. I think gradually bank will introduce chip ATM/Debit card.
Old 11th July 2014, 10:32   #1634
BHPian

Alert:
Just now received a call from 9211076947

She:Sir we are calling to confirm some personal information to update the credit card database
Me :Which card?
She:the one you hold
Me:I might hold many, which one are you from?
She:Whichever, ICI (not even ICICI), Axis bank etc
This repeated some 3 times and I hung up.
Old 11th July 2014, 10:48   #1635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Anyone using Citibank rewards card? I was looking for a card, which provides discounts on Dining and Movies (tickets).

Been using Kotak card for a year now, 10% cash back on all dinning

Most Viewed