Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you agree with TRAI about the 100 SMS/day cap?
YES 29 25.22%
NO 44 38.26%
Don't Care 42 36.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 13:49   #31
AWD
BHPian

Re: TRAI to cap SMS usage at 100 SMSs per day

100 per day translates into 3000 a month. I don't think a sane mind would outdo that no. by any stretch of imagination.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:59   #32
BHPian

Im a student, 19 years old, and I easily cross 100 sms's a day! :(

This rule would pretty much ruin my phone plan.

SMS's are a much simpler way of keeping in touch throughout the day, especially when your a student, where talking get expensive.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:00   #33
Team-BHP Support

Putting a limit on not more than 100 SMS per day, is surely not going to stop the telemarketers, since there are many loopholes within the whole idea.

I use SMS on a regular scale, but definitely not as much as the limit which has been set. Doesnt directly affect me.

That said, I do not support this new implementation.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:03   #34
BHPian

Voted "Dont Care" as I hardly use SMS these days.

But I can understand the pain of student community. When I was in my bachelors, I had unlimited SMS free plan. 500 sms per day was easily crossed on most of the days.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:03   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
100 per day translates into 3000 a month. I don't think a sane mind would outdo that no. by any stretch of imagination.
3000 per month, is entirely different from 100 per day.

If a person's average running is 1200 kms per month, does it mean he does not need to exceed 40 kms per day?

I would easily do more than 100 sms per day, on multiple occassions. But i dont think i'll exceed 3000 per month, or come close to it. There are days when i dont even sms at all. But, when i need to exceed 100 per day, is it fair to restrict me?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st January 2011 at 14:08.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Those who need 100+ SMS, should switch to facebook.

GPRS 2 GB, 30 days plan costs jus99 Rs and you can be online 24x7 with facebook/email/IM on your phone without crossing this limit.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

TRAI is full of bunch of fools who are more interested in how operators should run the business and price the offerings rather then regulating the Telecom.

If you look at Europe the regulatory authority resulted in evolution of GSM standard and SIM and ME being two different entities to break the operator monopoly.

Sadly TRAI does not have any technical expertise and does what babus can do at their best
Old 31st January 2011, 14:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

For all the college kids... shift to Whatsapp / Pingchat.

Apart from the fact its unlimited, its free.
Old 31st January 2011, 16:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Draconian laws made and implemented by fools and scoundrels.

Texting is so much easier and so much less intrusive when you wish to communicate something even between family and friends - a text can be sent anytime, read anytime and replied to anytime. Especially when the matter is not as important as all that, to warrant a telephone call, it is so much easier to send the info by text!

It is also such a polite way of checking whether someone is free to talk or not and definitely so much nicer than just dialling someone's number without a care if they might be otherwise engaged at the time one calls!

What is the point of limiting text messages being sent by inidividuals?

This is absolute rubbish in my opinion.

The mobile companies should very easily be able to distinguish between individual subscribers, companies and tele-marketeers given the technology they have!
Old 31st January 2011, 17:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

are we sure this is actually TRAI's brainchild, and not some mobile service provider request which TRAI authorized, and spun into a TRAI regulation?

Anyone remember airtel's FUP which was spun as something TRAI imposed on airtel?
Old 31st January 2011, 20:24   #41
BHPian

More than 100 SMSes, People, get a life. Heck, who has so much time to spend on smsing? It's slow, painful and stupid! Get GPRS and Facebook if you are so desperate to keep in touch!
Old 31st January 2011, 23:13   #42
BHPian

I am doing my MBA, and most of the information regarding cancellation/rescheduling of lectures is sent by our class representative via SMS. The class strength is 60, and on an average each one receives atleast 2-3 sms per day regarding lectures/placement information. That translates to 180 sms per day from his mobile. Wonder what would happen post this TRAI regulation.

Though, I am happy that I wont receive those idiotic telemarketing sms, if this is implemented properly. Why doesn't TRAI implement it the same way DND was implemented. Post DND, I have hardly received any telemarketing call. They can do the same to SMS, where a telemarketer would be a fined if he/she sends an unsolicited marketing sms to anyone on the DND list.
Old 31st January 2011, 23:43   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
More than 100 SMSes, People, get a life. Heck, who has so much time to spend on smsing? It's slow, painful and stupid! Get GPRS and Facebook if you are so desperate to keep in touch!
GPRS and Facebook will do the "slow, painful, stupid" typing for the user? There also, the same thing has to be typed in the same manner.

Moreover, it eats the battery, gets disconnected during peak traffic times, and does the same thing as message does in a much simpler way! Not to mention, the other person should be online too, which is not a necessity in the case of message!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st January 2011 at 23:44.
Old 31st January 2011, 23:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Spot on, crazy driver. GPRS and facebook app are not even close to the simplicity and convenience of sms. Just by restricting the sms count to 100 won't deter illegal telemarketers from sending spam texts. The National DND was not successful because of the loopholes and the laxity of providers to implement it strictly. This no-brainer move is only going to inconvenience normal users.
Old 1st February 2011, 00:08   #45
BHPian

Heard in other forums that the 100 sms/day is not a hard limit. Only discounted sms will not be available. So, in emergency cases, we can still text.

Nevertheless, people do cross 100 sms/day now-a-days. Texting is just non-intrusive and a lot of communication for us youth happens over sms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks