Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2011, 17:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honk levels in India

Honking increases with rising frustration levels at non-moving traffic. I found that out in Bangalore on Friday - the day that half of any office was on leave.

In all, I drove about 30km through the city and found that honking was 50% less!! The silence around Silk Board junction at 6:30pm was deafening.

We are the "horny" country. Plenty honking, and plenty population
Old 4th September 2011, 17:49   #62
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My solution for curbing this Honking menace
All manufacturers should invent ways to connect your horn use with your fuel consumption. That is you need to burn some of that precious fuel in order to honk. I believe that should prevent us FE maniacs from honking too much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I believe that all horns other than those used in scooters need to be banned ; all cars must come with the "meoooow" horns that come in two wheelers ; only then things will change
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
I have a proposal. Every vehicle must be compulsorily fitted with a horn inside the cabin, with the same db level as the one outside!
Some really good suggestions there! Here's one from my side:
Inventivise horn-usage. Find a way to measure the usage of horn in a vehicle over a year or 10K KMs and depending on some pre-defined threshold, reward the owner or penalize. How about cars have only 2 minutes of horn usage per day and you have a indicator in your MID "30 seconds to empty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
We are the "horny" country. Plenty honking, and plenty population
Fantastic sense of humour!
Old 4th September 2011, 18:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

Here's an interesting observation I have made, specially in the last year or so when I have had the chance to drive to work and back everyday.

As the clock ticks towards the office IN timing, I grow more and more desperate to make it, and if honking can get that slow moving van out of my way, so be it! But once the clock ticks past and my ETA slides off the IN time, I lose this tension and then I am almost a gentleman while driving.

Also I have observed that most of the times in traffic jams, whether I honk or not is determined by my mood at the time and not any external factors. So there are times when a small pause in the flow of traffic causes me to ride my horn (sometimes only to realize a poor motorist stranded in traffic a few metres ahead) and there are times when the whole world is honking around me, my co-passengers are irate over the traffic delay and I am sitting like Buddha (sometimes with my hands folded too!).

So my personal opinion is whether we honk or not depends more on our own state of mind at the time. And therefore, being in the right state of mind when driving should help immensely.
Old 4th September 2011, 18:09   #64
BHPian

I have lost all hope regarding this one. I so much want honking to be minimized but I do not think its possible. Some suggestions here are really thoughtful though. First of all there are so many illiterate drivers out there - I think the driving training should be more strict. Make the license getting process a bit strict. To get a license here is as easy as getting a cake from a shop. Just give the money to the driving school wala and he will give you a license. I have a friend in Dubai who actually failed his driving test just because he reversed some what wrongly. Infact their test also includes parallel parking! I think with more strict driving rules and a little patience from the drivers can solve this problem.
Old 4th September 2011, 18:09   #65
BHPian

Well, the consensus seems to be that honking is essential is India. But is all honking essential?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This morning, I was driving on Bannerghatta road(Bangalore) and a M800 guy was driving with one hand while talking on his mobile, he was not interested in the cars/bikes around him and he keeps drifting towards right and I had to honk loudly and then he drifts towards left were a biker had to honk, this happens normally in every cities almost every minute.Adding to it, its a rare sight to see an autowala or BMTC using the indicator properly. Most of the two wheelers don't have the rear view mirror. Pedestrians can cross the road any time they wish. even if the signal is green for the vehicles,there will be a bunch of people crossing the road. These are just some examples were people are forced to honk.
For out of control idea sirjis, in empty roads, I sometimes silently overtake and then just cut in front of him/her just for the heck of it. Seems to end the call most of the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Honking is very much necessary in India. Whether its the scooter guy trying to get ahead, a car ignoring your presence while cutting lanes, all type of Animals including Man trying to cross the road where ever they like, without honking you can't drive. I didn't include buses into it because they anyway don't care whether you honk or not.

But yea some people have taken it to the next level.
The signal is red- The guy behind honks for reasons known only to him.
The signal turns green - the honking increases as if I was supposed to have some telepathic connection with the signal and knew beforehand when will it turn green. Give me a second to slot my car into gears man!
The worst thing that could happen was this recent introduction of a new breed of loud horns courtesy SkoDA and VW. Earlier it was just the pee pee of maruti and honda, those were the good old days.

If we resort to no honking many a lives will be lost !

My solution for curbing this Honking menace
All manufacturers should invent ways to connect your horn use with your fuel consumption. That is you need to burn some of that precious fuel in order to honk. I believe that should prevent us FE maniacs from honking too much!
Scooter or even Car guy trying to get ahead/cut lanes: As a driver you know whether he can get in or not. If he can, let him. If he can't, don't wait for him.
At least that is the mantra I follow.

I actually get quite impatient at the slowcoaches at traffic signals. These days most signals in cities have counters, otherwise you can see the signal getting yellow on the other side. So there is no justification really of wasting 10 sec of a 25 sec green window starting the car and trying to get it to gear. Although I rarely honk, just cut in from the left.

Your idea for curbing the menace is good, but I like the one of an equal decibel in the cabin better. Surely will cut down honking, esp in chauffeur driven cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If the drivers, pedestrians & other moving objects follow proper traffic rules, then the honking will come down to a bare minimum. I in fact agree with couple of posts here that we honk to avoid unnecessary issues.

Some examples:

Stupid drivers on the right most lane driving slowly & not moving to left lane allowing a faster vehicle to overtake.

Morons who simply gets into way without even looking at the road / vehicles coming on to them.

Creeps who over take even on blind curves !
Become a leftist while driving.

If someone is overtaking you on a blind curve, why should you honk?

If you are coming from the opposite side, go straight ahead. Bullies blink first, mostly. But I agree, a honk helps in this case.

I am not disagreeing wit the fact that honking in some cases is essential, life saving even. But if you look at it, around 50% of the honking is not essential.

I personally have noticed that I honk more when I am disturbed / in a bad mood / am driving like a maniac. Anyone else feels the same?
Old 4th September 2011, 18:53   #66
BHPian

I wonder why people think the traffic ahead can disappear with honking. Imposing fine is not possible since proving the offense would be difficult. Awareness is the key. The Verito ad is the only thing in recent past to highlight this menace in public domain.
City buses every where should only be provided with the bulb horn - like in BEST buses.
Old 4th September 2011, 21:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent idea! How about a methanol fuelled RC engine (no muffler- or connect the exhaust to a saxophone for a sweet noise) under the hood with restricted cooling? In order to use it, one will have to start the engine and let it idle (consuming fuel) and MID will display 'Horn ARMED' ( would give drivers that 'Topgun' feel). push the button, and the engine revs (consuming more fuel!)and makes hell of a noise. (Bhpians may get addicted to the noise, so ban it for them) honk for too long and the partially cooled 2-stroker seizes-time to get your horn rebuilt ( dont forget to run it in)!

On a serious note, i really think the root of the problem is mindset of the people: very few people in India are patient and mannered enough to understand other's plight before open firing. the other guy is not out on a picnic man! must be a problem thats why he is not moving! and the 'I AM GHOST RIDER!!' attitude of a few forces others to honk as defensive fire.

PS: Authorities limit manufacturers to fitting cars with horns within legal db limit. But 'BADASS' horns are available aftermarket only because there is demand. Sorry to say this, but ive seen all kinds of LOUD horns under tbhpian's hoods. charity begins at home, and we as a responsible community should not be doing this.
dhawcash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 21:32   #68
BHPian

Well said, dhawcash! I agree with the mindset theory.

But I also believe that regulation should be stringently implemented for after-market horns! What's the point of manufacturers putting in compliant horns when they get changed the very next day at the local car store! The comprehensiveness in implementing the rules is what is missing.
Old 4th September 2011, 22:31   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Become a leftist while driving.
So what I said initially was, "get the drivers to follow rules first & things will fall into place" And you already have a conflicting suggestion! This again doesn't work since most of the people are nice to follow rules & the rare species only drive on the right !

Quote:
If someone is overtaking you on a blind curve, why should you honk?
Why should I?

Quote:
If you are coming from the opposite side, go straight ahead. Bullies blink first, mostly. But I agree, a honk helps in this case.
This is what I meant & went thru today when a stupid Santro guy was overtaking a truck on a blind curve & came right on to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I have given up on this now. No more honking at these people as it anyway doesn't make any difference. Even aunties driving scooty at 15 KMPH give me that look when I try to communicate that she is driving on the wrong lane. Now I just overtake from left and go ahead .
I still honk because there are fair chances these stupids can move into the left lane once we are tired of honking & initiate the overtaking maneuver. If something goes wrong, the guy who overtook thru the left will be held responsible & guilty.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th September 2011 at 22:37.
Old 4th September 2011, 22:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingsman View Post
Well said, dhawcash! I agree with the mindset theory.

But I also believe that regulation should be stringently implemented for after-market horns! What's the point of manufacturers putting in compliant horns when they get changed the very next day at the local car store! The comprehensiveness in implementing the rules is what is missing.
Correct, its very true and IMO can be easily and very quickly achievable if the concerned authorities are serious about it, there are many instances of checking noise pollution within a short period of time where authorities have taken serious steps.

But the actual reduction of honking will only take place through awareness. Even if the administration restricts manufacturing of automobile horns within acceptable noise pollution limits, unless users are made aware or realize the ill-effects, honking will continue and will be considered by many users as a need to avoid accidents/better way of communication with fellow riders/drivers !
Old 5th September 2011, 01:12   #71
BANNED

Quote:
I kinda wondered about that for years ... until I became used to it. Why are manufacturers allowed to make horns beyond a certain decibel level ability?!! Looks like the common case of myopic laws in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
City buses every where should only be provided with the bulb horn - like in BEST buses.
And I have wondered if all Cars and trucks and even motorcycles be compulsory fitted with one!!

As to WHY?!! people honk, I think I have known the answer for years.

I Honk Therefore I Am !!

Look again closely at the person who honks - the very second he honks - You will see a narcissist call your attention to him, so that he can gaze at you gazing at him!! All of us like to look at other people look at us. Honking in India and some Asian/Mediterranean countries is a cultural form of expression of our latent narcissism.

You will see the same look in the eyes of the pedestrian, who knowingly barges in your way, compelling you to slow down, brake, stop ... a brief pause as he freezes in your path, your eyes meet .... the next second he nonchalantly takes the step forward ... as if all is normal and he did nothing wrong or in poor judgement.

But don't take my word for it. Look at every opportunity and decide for yourself

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 5th September 2011 at 01:18.
Old 5th September 2011, 01:19   #72
BHPian

Right-most lane is NOT for fast vehicles, its' for driving students, rickshaws, LPG-cylinder tricycles, bicycles and pedestrians who prefer it to sidewalks. The reason being - thats' the only lane that goes straight in our cities, every other lane has a parked vehicle, illegal vendor, a temple, a pandal or a tree to negotiate - hence reserved for passenger cars.
Old 5th September 2011, 02:19   #73
BHPian

I do agree that horn levels need to be curtailed. At the same time, I believe it is necessary to use the horn ONLY sometimes. For example, the guy who is cutting lanes, buses, rickshaws, bullock-carts, cyclist (to let them know you are approaching, as they do not bother to look themselves). If we stop using the horn completely I can assure you there will be more accidents. Reason being, its not our fault but the fault of others who are ignorant of others on the road.
As was rightly said above, the buses are too impatient. They go on blowing their horn as if it is a musical instrument.
As I was driving back home today, there was a lady driving a figo. The car was beaten up. I took this as a sign of a bad driver and therefore kept well behind her, until she was doing 20kmph on Marine Drive in the right lane. Flashed lights but she didn't move from the right lane. I then went left and she suddenly swerved towards me and I had to slam the brakes and blow the horn. Had I not used the horn she would not have even known there was a car towards her left. The horn in necessary for such people on the road.
I also find it most annoying that as soon as the signal turns green you will hear all the cars behind you blowing their horn. What's the point? How will blowing the horn make cars ahead of you go faster?
Hate to say this, but I do not see the situation changing soon.
Old 5th September 2011, 02:28   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All:

So..I was the one walking and a Honda City crawls up to me and the driver decides to blow my brains out with a screeching horn that sent shivers up my spine. The natural 'Indian' instinct would be to just move out of the way - but being the peace-loving guy (actually more to do with the fact that I was outside the country for a good number of years) that I am, I turned around and gave him a 'lip-reading' of what I felt.

(Drivers, educated buggers like us)
I just visited Mumbai for the Ganpati festival and coming from Pune, Mumbai felt like Europe! Minimal honking, driver maturity, wide roads, acceptance of the fact that lanes are for driving within and not on them - beautiful. Back to Pune and I all I hear are deafening honks!

How does too much honking help with some honing doesn't? (Ok that was just sarcasm at work!)

Regards,
Cingsman
Hello Cingsman, and welcome to the forum!

Firstly, I'm still pretty much confused about the situation between you and the Honda City fellow.
1. Where were you walking; on the road or on the footpath?
2. The way your post goes, it feels more like the driver did it deliberately targeting you, did he?
3. After you giving him a 'lip-reading', did the Honda guy just drive away or did it lead to something more?
4. Education or money does not make one civilized!
5. Your description about the visit to Mumbai reminds me more and more of Palm Beach road/Bandra reclamation road towards Sea Link. It couldn't be anywhere else where one would encounter wide roads, driver maturity and lane discipline. And if it was the roads I mentioned you were referring to, then it was not THE Mumbai roadways my friend.
6. Honking is one of the only few ways to tackle road 'manners' in this city. I generally have to go for work or meetings at Lower Parel or Worli and I absolutely dread taking the Everard Nagar highway which leads to the Sion flyover. The single queue towards the entrance to the flyover gets so lengthy and there are the shameless ones queuing parallel to the ones in the original queue to cut through and fly-over!
I easily end up wasting about 40 minutes, wasting fuel and patience. Once I'm through with that, I see the way ahead is pretty smooth and traffic pretty normal. Since I'm late already, I have no option left, but to drive a four wheeler like a pizza boy's moped in order to make up for lost time! Traffic is contagious, infectious and leads to various disorders like honking, for example!

Just today evening while I was on my way back home, on the new Lalbaug Flyover, there flashed the brightness of Xenons in all my rear view mirrors and a horn that made me realise that it was a big player SUV!! That person kept honking and flashing them lights. When looked at closely, it turned out to be a Range Rover. Now maybe that person driving was a chauffeur, but the suited men at the rear should've had all sense to not let him drive like a maniac! Again here, the aforementioned point #4 comes in action!
Old 5th September 2011, 07:18   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Hello Cingsman, and welcome to the forum!
==============
Again here, the aforementioned point #4 comes in action!

Alright, let me delve in to the Honda City thing a little deeper.

I was walking along the edge of the road - since the footpaths were all taken up by street vendors - and smashing their unsold veggies did not seem too prudent! There was a upcoming left turn that both I and the ANHC wanted to take.

Now this Honda City guy (MH 45 xxxx) decides to think that all pedestrians walk on the middle of the last lane, so decides to honk me in the rear (ahem!). So I turn back and just move my lips in the most appropriate manner so he can 'read my muted lips'! PLUS, to add to the whole misery of the situation, his left was blocked by incoming Santro and a Indica!

Yea, he just drove away. Given his horn levels, I'm sure it was not a first for him.

No, it wasn't the Sea Link or Palm Beach Rd. It was - hold your breath - actually from Chembur to Vile Parle. Ok! I am not saying there was no honking - but coming from Pune, relatively speaking, it was atleast 5x better (atleast on that day since traffic was minimal but Mumbai standards)

Agree with you on the money / education thing!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks