Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 11:00   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are horns becoming irrelevant in India

I doubt if such impatient behaviour is displayed elsewhere than the metros. I have been to a few rural areas too, and though these people too have the same 24 hrs in a day as we do, they seem to be far more patient. Even though vehicle ownership and density has considerably increased, you don't see people honking as much as we do in the metros.

Fourth day now without horn. Still can't say I miss it.
Old 8th September 2011, 11:37   #122
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday had an experience with Honking. We were Cruising on the Inner Ring Road at night on the left lane and there was another car to our right going at same speed. Suddenly from nowhere this guy in Cruze comes from behind both of us and honked repeatedly and loudly giving full indications of his urgency (Whatever that may be). As soon as i heard the repeated honking i quietly gave him way.

When he overtook us, to me he did not seem like a erratic, irrational, and rash driver. Just someone who is in very hurry. I felt in instances like these honking really helps to let others know of your urgency so as they can give you way, as most of us did to let him go.

So surely i dont think they are becoming irrelevant or will become irrelevant anytime soon.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 8th September 2011 at 11:39.
Old 8th September 2011, 12:48   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Got to try and observe how many times i honk in my journey of 12kms back home today from office.
Quoting my previous post. Tried for 2 days which is 4 instances of traveling the same 12kms road to office and back. I was surprised. I used the horn 7 times on 1st journey, 9 times on the 2nd, 5 times each on 3rd and 4th. Being conscious of the use of horns really does help. The 2nd journey honking was more because 3 times I honked for no reason sub consciously!!!

Also came across this incident when at a signal. Time was 0850. A lady in Activa going from Domlur towards Richmond circle. We are at the domlur signal and she parks beside me and attends a call on her mobile. I cant help but overhear that she has a presentation at 0900 some place near residency road. Now the moment signal turns green, she keeps her thumb pressed on the horn until she is able to move and then starts riding fast and zig zagging in traffic, all this while continuously honking at vehicles to give her way when clearly the traffic is slow moving and there is no place.

Why cant people plan their departure early on to be able to reach their destination on time rather than risking the life and limb of others??
Old 8th September 2011, 15:45   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Yesterday had an experience with Honking. ... I felt in instances like these honking really helps to let others know of your urgency so as they can give you way, as most of us did to let him go.

So surely i dont think they are becoming irrelevant or will become irrelevant anytime soon.
Surely you are aware that the rightmost lane is supposed to be used only for overtaking. The guy who was on your right was clearly not overtaking if he was at the same speed as you. So he didn't leave anyone room enough to overtake. If he had had the good sense to either stick to the left lane behind you, or overtake you and then rejoin the left, the driver behind wouldn't have to honk.

The same situation happens many times on the highways when a truck driver suddenly decides he has got enough momentum going to try an overtaken in sixty minutes, only to realize that after thirty minutes the road starts climbing and his momentum is gone.
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:11   #125
BANNED

FYI:
Quote:
KOZHIKODE: The private bus operators in the city and the police are locking horn over the use of air-horns in buses. The authorities have been taking stern action against vehicles using air-horns. This has irked many private bus operators and now they are planning to go for a strike if the authorities stick to their guns.

Buses honk at cops over use of air-horns - The Times of India

--Ragul
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:30   #126

If only it were true...

Unfortunately, honking will not become irrelevant in India as long as there are fools who honk for no reason. Most of the time, the car who honks behind me, does it for absolutely no reason.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:34   #127
Senior - BHPian

Or maybe you fail to realize the reason? I have reverted back to honking, after more than two weeks of not honking.

Reasons? So many obstructions created by drivers who are unmindful of other road users. Latest incident: On the Belapur Thane road as I reach an intersection, a trailer-truck carrying a 40-ft container came out of the industrial belt on the RHS of the road and merged with the traffic. So all the lanes were blocked while the slow-moving truck safely made it onto the road. Following it at close quarters are two auto-rickshaws, neck to neck. The foremost, i.e. the one on the RHS slips into the flow of traffic and moves on. The other driver halts, right after the intersection in the rightmost lane TO PICK UP A PASSENGER!!
Old 4th October 2011, 16:41   #128
Senior - BHPian

The horn on my bike conked off around 4 months ago. I havent replaced/ fixed it and I dont miss it at all. Having said that, I do occasionally use the horn on my car, perhaps it is to ensure that some moron does not gift me free dents/ scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The same situation happens many times on the highways when a truck driver suddenly decides he has got enough momentum going to try an overtaken in sixty minutes, only to realize that after thirty minutes the road starts climbing and his momentum is gone.
Did you intend to say 30/ 60 seconds?
Old 5th October 2011, 11:53   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Did you intend to say 30/ 60 seconds?
Looking at the way these truckers try to overtake each other (first one pulls out into the RHS lane and labouriously brings his truck parellel to the one he wants to overtake, then the momentum is lost and the LHS truck starts inching ahead. Then the RHS revvs harder and catches up with the LHS one. Just when you think the RHS one will finally start inching ahead, there's some moron parked on the roadside and so the LHS one starts moving into the RHS lane and the RHS one drops back to allow the LHS one into the lane) it would continue till eternity, that's why I mentioned sixty minutes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks