Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2011, 19:14   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Living with bald tyres? Don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Whats wrong with bald tyres?
There is a difference between slicks (F1 car tyres) and bald tyres (worn out passenger car tyres). The contact patch of slicks is entirely grippy rubber, and the reason they don't have grooves is that, F1 cars use separate tyres for dry & wet conditions (wet conditions need tyre grooves to channel water). Bald tyres may look like slicks, but they do NOT have any grippy rubber left. It's all slipping & sliding with them.

Slicks & bald tyres only look the same. The similarities end there.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 19:43   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry. What's the point of this thread in an automotive forum?

From the senior most bhpian to the newbie who joined yesterday is going to advice to change those tires. No one is going to give tips on how to drive with bald tires.

Please show this thread and 'accidents in India' thread to your dad. Funding should be approved Drive safe buddy.
kiku007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 02:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Lalvaz, I'm an absolute zero on this mechanical stuff. If I'd known the risks i would not have asked you guys. Let me see if i can talk dad into a new set of tyres
Well here are some links to websites that explain the risks of driving with worn out tyres.
How safe are worn tires?
Slick tyres or bald tyres... Whats the difference? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Also, please look at the pics, your tyres are not just bald, they're also cracking, as in the rubber is cracking up on the outer edge of your right rear tyre. This will increase the chances of a blow out, which may result in loss of control over your car, and thereby cause an accident. So, thats why I strongly recommend you change your tyres or not drive at all.
Old 31st October 2011, 15:39   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
I would recommend you to at least get the two front tires replaced. These are the ones that lay down all the power on the road, handle your steering inputs and also handle the majority of the braking forces.
I also used to think the same until on another thread somebody pointed out a Michelin video (can be easily found on youtube). Essentially, whether fwd or rwd the new(er) tyres must go in the rear. The reason is Oversteer in slippery conditions. Once you see the video, you will know what I mean. A very impressive and effective demonstration.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 15:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I also used to think the same until on another thread somebody pointed out a Michelin video (can be easily found on Youtube). Essentially, whether fwd or rwd the new(er) tyres must go in the rear. The reason is Oversteer in slippery conditions. Once you see the video, you will know what I mean. A very impressive and effective demonstration.
This is news to me, until i saw the video. Thank you for opening my eyes as posted earlier i had put new tyres on the front when i replaced just two tyres. This video now tells me that my understanding was wrong. Here is the link

mayankjha1806 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 19:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

update. 165/65 R14 is 4.3k each for Bridgestone S322's and 3Kish for some ceat model. Had my alignment done and swapped one of the worn tyres in the back with the stepney and rotated em. Did a few tests with just me on an open road. The tyres hold. Its just that when there are more than 3 in the car that the tyres have problems holding. I suppose no more group trips then. Trust me guys its not life threatening. its just occasionally disconcerting.
In the meantime planning to go and talk to the bank, I have a feeling there is some unused money from my student loan

Update. Was talking to dad, and he asked me to check the front suspension and alignment (told him that I got the alignment done just now) and the rear drums. He has a feeling the rears are not giving their 100% since only the fronts are locking up, and that too with a full load when the rears should be able to do a little bit more

Last edited by greenhorn : 31st October 2011 at 20:04.
Old 31st October 2011, 20:07   #37
BHPian

I have been driving for long time on my goodyears which are bald. Later I retareded them with mrf rubber and they functiion as new. One Issue i faced was balancing, which needs more weights. I think retareded tyres are available at 1.3K-1.6K, but as someone said you need to check for cracking walls. I caution this is only needed when you are cash straped.

Last edited by knob : 31st October 2011 at 20:09.
Old 1st November 2011, 09:47   #38
BANNED

@knob; For many of us, the age of the tyre means that a retread is out. A radial lasts a long time. The carcass also ages. remember the early days of the Mumbai-Pune expressway. A huge number of accidents were attributed either tyres bursting due to under-inflation or carcass failure.

Retreading is not as well distributed a new tyre, so more weights are to be expected.
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:01   #39
BHPian

Re: Living with bald tyres? Don't!

I was in a similar situation when I started my career. Same situation actually - smooth tyres on an Indica. I did extensive extensive research on the net (because internet was free, provided by the institute )

What I figured out was that
a) you have to drive slow
b) the roads have to be clean ( not have gravel or sand on the surface)
c) Absolutely cannot drive in the rain

And I did not drive out of city limits at that time.

Since doctors are poorly paid at the beginning of their career, I had to continue this way for about 7 months before I could change my front tyres.

AND I replaced my front tyres first and would not have known that that was a wrong thing to do unless I had seen the Michelin Video on this forum.

Oh by the way, I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT YOU DO THE SAME.

Last edited by noidea : 2nd November 2011 at 18:03.
Old 12th November 2011, 16:29   #40
BHPian

Bald tires will drift the car's steering response making it very difficult to drive. If the front tyres go bald, the steering poses as if the ball joint assembly is worn off. I have seen people mostly commercial vehicles having treadline lesser than 80% making it dangerous for other road users. Even after the tyre material becomes hard it is not advisible to drive because it will develop cracks on the sidewall. Best is to replace whole set once it goes 40000 kms or 4 years, whichever is earlier.
Old 12th November 2011, 17:25   #41
Team-BHP Support

Greenhorn,

I'm in a very similar situation. I drive, on a regular basis, an 8 year old Hyundai Santro that has done about 41k on the odo. Doesn't sound like much, but the tyres are wearing out pretty quickly. There is some tread left on it, but it isn't enough when the roads are damp. I've felt the car literally shimmy when I dab the brakes on really wet roads. And I'm a broke student!

Our dilema: Is it worth spending 10k on new tyres when we would probably sell the car and buy something new in a year or so?
Old 12th November 2011, 19:06   #42
BANNED

OT - doubt regarding the video posted -
1)What about Driving in dry conditions? (since monsoons/ wet roads are not a regular occurance in Delhi/NCR - its dust, potholes, bad roads)
2)Won't the braking distance be lesser if the front tires have more grip?
3)Understeer on dust?

Experts, pls do enlighten!
Old 15th November 2011, 10:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
This is news to me, until i saw the video.
Good one and informative. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
OT - doubt regarding the video posted -
1)What about Driving in dry conditions? (since monsoons/ wet roads are not a regular occurance in Delhi/NCR - its dust, potholes, bad roads)
2)Won't the braking distance be lesser if the front tires have more grip?
3)Understeer on dust?
I think it(wet or dry) doesn't matter. Even in dry surfaces, bald tyres at the rear would cause fishtailing, right?
Old 15th November 2011, 16:51   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Our dilema: Is it worth spending 10k on new tyres when we would probably sell the car and buy something new in a year or so?
A few thousand kms down the line, I'll be facing the same dilemma; car should be sold within a year or so and 2 tyres are ageing.

Apart from the fact that driving with balding tyres ain't good for either the car or the driver, I would replace the 2 tyres for the simple reason that they'd otherwise be a sore point during resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Though I don't recommend it, but if you can't buy new tyres right now, just go out and get the current ones retreaded.
Not that I would ever do it, does it make sense getting tyres retreaded? The side-walls still remain from the original tyre, right? I haven't seen retreaded tyres on anything except buses and trucks.
Old 6th December 2011, 18:41   #45
BHPian

@greenhorn: Try getting some of those chinese tyres that are available at cheaper rates. Those will be beter than retreads or used/bald tyres any day. The same places often sell moderately used imported tyres as well. But the thing with used tyres is that they're mostly replaced due to age. They'd be just one step above bald ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks