Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 10:31   #1
Team-BHP Support

Seat-belts compulsory in Bangalore from Feb 1

Now, here's some pleasant news.

Come Feb 1, seat-belts for the front occupants of a car will be compulsory. Violators will be fined Rs. 100.

Good beginning!

Fasten seat belt or pay 100 fine - The Times of India

I really hope this rule is strictly enforced. Finally, I wouldn't have to tell people to belt up in my car just because it is my rule; now it's by the cops!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 10:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Seat-belts compulsory in Bangalore from Feb 1

This is a welcome move. Should have been implemented before. Anyways, better late than never.

OT: I don't have to plead with my folks to wear the belt anymore
Old 13th January 2012, 10:46   #3
BHPian

Superb. I believe it has been enforced years back in kerala. Now am thinking of forcing my folks to wear it even in the rear seats. I myself am very strict regarding my co passenger wearing the seat belt.

As i once put it across crassly, 'If you dont care about your life, neither do I, but dont want the blood to ruin my interiors'.

Works every single time.

Last edited by revintup : 13th January 2012 at 10:48.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:51   #4
BHPian

It has been there for a while now in Kochi. People are handed tickets via post with photographs of them not wearing seatbelts. Moostly happens at traffic signals.

Even cops stop you and check whether you have worn seatbelts (along with the breath test (the money spinner for traffic dept ))

As any traffic rule enforcement in kochi the strictness with which the rule is enforced goes down over time, then it gets mentioned in some newspaper, then again the strictness goes up and cycle continues.

Helmet rule is strictly enforced in Kochi city.

I hope it is not the same with Bangalore.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have NEVER seen a cop anywhere in Karnataka wearing seatbelts. I wonder how they are going to enforce this on others. Nevertheless, a good move. And seatbelts mandatory only for front passengers?! That's ridiculous.

From the article, it looks like they'll catch only passenger cars. What about vehicles that do not come with seatbelts or have them removed (such as, trucks, BMTC buses other than Volvos, other private buses)?

Last edited by rohanjf : 13th January 2012 at 10:58.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:00   #6
BHPian

Why do they keep playing with peoples lives, by enforcing rules one day and the next not bothering at all. Only in INDIA do we have a TRAFFIC SAFETY WEEK, does this mean rest of the time do not be safe.

Things like seatbelts, helmets & child safety seats for infants is a must and this is not debateable at all! Only wish our wonderful traffic cops follow the same rule.
Prithvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 11:02   #7
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2012 at 14:50.
Irish is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th January 2012, 11:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Even without this being implemented, when I moved from Mumbai 3.5 years back, I have been following this rule ever since, and insist the same for my co-passenger as well. Good to see the RTO is implementing this mandatorily.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:08   #9
BANNED

I thought it was mandated in the Act ages ago. They are only notifying strict implementation. Better late than never.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:10   #10
BHPian

I generally do not wear seat belts while driving in the city (as the speed is generally 20-30KMPH in office hours) .. only in highway drives I persuade myself (and the front passenger) to wear seat belts

This morning I saw the news in ToI front page and drove to office wearing seat-belt..somehow it felt better
Old 13th January 2012, 11:12   #11
BHPian

This is really a welcome move by the traffic department. Looking at the way helmet rule was enforced in Bangalore, i believe use of seat belts will also be enforsed strictly.
Many drivers, infact most think that they are GOD and nothing will happen to them. Unless they face it. So instead of learning things the hard way its better to take precaution.

EDIT: Just a thought. Along with making seat belts compulsory, usage of ORVM should also be made compulsary?

Last edited by _abhishek : 13th January 2012 at 11:15.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I thought that this rule was already in place here. Six years back, first day in my new car and I was fined for not wearing seat belt in Hyderabad.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

The rule was always there but they are going to start enforcing it only now, today showed this news to wife and forced her to wear seatbelt henceforth - priceless.

If she does not wear it, maybe she will pay a fine of INR 100 and then learn. Good move i must say (specifically for all front seat seated passengers)
Old 13th January 2012, 11:35   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Kind of feeling bad

When driving home a little late & stopped at DUI checks, I used to see cops giving brownie points if wearing seat-belts. Guess we'll no longer stand apart from the regular drivers
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 11:54   #15
BHPian

The rule was around long time back and I still remember the first 1-2 months the cops would check after that they got lazy and totally forgot! Now they have remembered again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks