Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 11:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: How would you deal with VIPs and their Bodyguards on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Today I was driving at night on the sea-link doing about 60kmph in the left lane when I see a black S class speeding in the lane to my right. Suddenly, I hear him honking like mad and flashing his highbeam continuously at the car in front of him. Since that car refused to give way, he came behind me and started his same honking and high beam flashing.

This is the sad state of affairs in our country. I am sure the gentleman was over 70 years of age and look at the way he was treated for absolutely no fault of his. By the way the S-class number was MH04**007.
I dont know why, but my blood is boiling after reading this, especially since an elderly gentleman was involved in this. Treating senior citizens like this is a shame to our so called civilized culture.

If I was in your place, I wish I could have the power of Rajnikant for a while and beat these goons (in the dress of guards) black and blue and make them fall on the feet of the poor elderly man and apologize.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 11:39   #62
BHPian

The best and easiest way to treat the "royals" is if you get similar minded drivers ahead and behind you.

Once along the NH 47 which is mostly a 2 lane "highway", I heard a siren coming far behind. Noticed that it was a regular highway patrol trying to make way for some VIP in a Fortuner. The Fortuner did not have any read beacons or govt. plates suggesting that it was someone who was just misusing his contacts to get his way through traffic.

I slowed down to a generous 40kmph still keeping on my lane. The drivers in front of me and behind also realized what I was upto and they too started slowing down. We let the pilot pass, who immediately sped away. And then closed the lane . The VIP got stranded behind our crawling convoy for nearly another 10 minutes. He couldn't overtake us from the right since there was a endless stream of vehicles in the opposite direction. Hope he never reached his appointment on time
kutts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 13:12   #63
BHPian

In Chennai the biggest nuisance seems to be the white Scorpios and Innovas with various political party flags.They are the biggest VIPs, honking surging and tail-gating each and every car on the street.The drivers are 5th fail idiots with the intelligence of a goat and more often than not meet their nemesis in some trailer/ truck along the Chennai-Tindivanam- Trichy NH ( GST ).
2 senior political party leaders have perished in the last 1 year ( DMK minister in Innova last year & PMK leader in XUV on tuesday). Someone should tell them size does matter and if its a TATA 2616 Turbo he is trying to bully, well best of luck.

I have sat in a PMO Amby driven by a driver from the SPG pool and he took me from Nizammuding RS to Vasant Kunj in 20 mins in lunch-time traffic and didnt break a single rule. I guess its mostly the ill-trained general pool police drivers and the political party vehicle drivers who are the worst culprits when it comes to these "VIP vehicle" issues.Also moneyed morons who need protection from other non-moneyed morons. I stayed at Vasant Vihar and the entire area was full of embassies and UN staff guest-houses so saw a lot of the menials( drivers n flunkeys ) who were the real VIPs.
But I feel as rule we should not bother even tangling with the rash VIP cars since its just not worth the time and the mental stress involved in talking to a menial with/ without a gun.
Old 12th July 2012, 13:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_speed View Post
LOL - these are, at best, scare tactics. I am sure that guard wouldn't have fired from that gun ever. He probably wouldn't have any guts to use the weapon. This is not Afghanistan where you bomb off vehicles nearing more than x miles in radius !
Do not be so sure the guard would not do anything. If there was a real VIP inside he may have fired on you. Remember that incident when an innocent scooterist was shot dead by Manmohan Singh's guards?

OT: If this were Afghanistan, I would have shot the bloody VIP off the road using my rpg and then a quick burst of my ak47 would have cleaned him out for ever
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 13:38   #65
BHPian

India is a lawless country! It's sad and the things won't change atleast for next 100 years. The same thing can't happen in US or Canada. I these countries, a police officer won't give two hoots for a politician if he is in wrong, here the whole system is corrupted and subservient, even if you complain, nothing will happen.Rather, there is a chance of your victimization.
rock75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 14:06   #66
BHPian

Using the following links will yield details about the vehicle's owner.

Vehicle Insurer Search Status Screen

https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/face...rchDetails.jsp

Site 1 is the IRDA promoted IIB portal. Site 2 is Vahan portal.

One can get the last 5 digits of chassis # from the IIB portal. Valid Reg #, random characters for Name and Address, and a past date is all that is required.

Last edited by mmxylorider : 12th July 2012 at 14:10. Reason: removed format tags.
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 15:13   #67
BHPian

Unfortunately India is divided between those who are above the law and those who are supposed to be law abiding. These distinctions are made on the basis of money and power. Don't you know who I am is not just a Delhi thing but it prevails all over.

We get fined if our pollution papers are not in order but a 19 year old runs over a pregnant woman but there is no DNA test because his father is powerful.

We need to endure long lines unless we approach a tout. We have to endure bad roads and noone cares. We have to endure power cuts and increased price rises and the Home Minister mocks us saying we buy bottled water and ice cream but cry about a prike hike. His message : You the common man have to endure. Doesn't matter even if their VIP status and courtesies are being funded by us. It is a shame to be part of a nation where the ones who we elect are out to kill and torture us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75
India is a lawless country! It's sad and the things won't change atleast for next 100 years. The same thing can't happen in US or Canada. I these countries, a police officer won't give two hoots for a politician if he is in wrong, here the whole system is corrupted and subservient, even if you complain, nothing will happen.Rather, there is a chance of your victimization.
Old 12th July 2012, 19:04   #68
BHPian

Once it happened with me at my hometown a few years back.

The cop (an S.I.) was furied when I tried to explain him that I wasn't faulty in that scene (yeah, I did it as politely as possible, with no intentions of arguements). He stepped in-front of my car so that I could not drive further (I had no intentions to ride off too) and said I will repay right away for trying to interrogate an "officer on duty".

What he did next was ultimate! He rubbed his khakhi pant on my standing car's tyre (the car'sengine itself was not running!) and made the tyre's mark visible on his pant. Smiling at me, he started talking on his Walkie-Talkie "... There has been an "attempt to murder". Victim is myself and I have taken captive of the Accused (he was of-course quoting me here). Need Supportive Force immediately"

To my luck, my friend (whose uncle was the S.P.) was with me and he stepped out and told the S.I. that this is a clear victimization. He said that his uncle is the current S.P. & can fix this through him right away as it is a "Made-up" story for No logical reason. (For proof, he volunteeringly showed his uncle's mobile number & photo on his Mobile-phone contacts)

The S.I. realised the situation and came to me and said "never try to defend yourself when an officer is in action, we have enough head-aches already. Just follow what has been asked, we tend to serve the public". (Point is, whatever the case may be, A Cop is NEVER Faulty / never to be blamed). Goodness sake, this ended "eventless", I drove off after a hand-shake with the cop.

Even now I wonder what if he had filed an "attempt to murder" that too on a "policeman on duty"??? Where is this country going?? Clearly, if a citizen has no contacts to a local politician / senior government officials, he easily can be taken for a ride - without being faulty!

Practically, as many have quoted here, it is never a good idea to argue with the cops (to the level possible). Try to dilute the situation when it is still premitive. We may / may not have political / power-related support. "Prevention is better than cure" stands good here! Utter waste of energy, time, effort and sometimes money - better to stay off such cases. Stay Calm, compassionate & never lose your temper!

Good Luck Folks, Cheers

Last edited by Mister_M : 12th July 2012 at 19:17.
Old 12th July 2012, 19:14   #69
BHPian

From what I have seen real VIP vehicles are not half as notorious as cars with VIP numbers.

While it's easy to preach to keep one's ego deep down in his pockets, it does not happen every time you are on the road. You have to be a saint or a yoga-guru to not to get pissed-off at such events. Your anger is justifiable as you were in the heat of the moment. But you shouldn't have stopped right away. That could have been risky. I try to plan an escape route when I unwillingly get into such situations.

So, if you can control your anger, that's the best thing to let the idiot go. And if you somehow for some reasons can't control it, then it should be straight pedal-to-the-metal full-bore acceleration. Don't STOP unless you think you are at fault, and the other person is a real genuine VIP and not his son hooning around!
Old 12th July 2012, 22:01   #70
MCR
BHPian

It happens only in India! lolz.
1. Its a common sight in Bangalore where Police completely shut the traffic off the road for VIP movement.
2. What more, I have been abused by the security guards in my previous company for being present on the walk way while the CEO's car was passing!

The above two lines show the attitude of the people in India. I don't see any improvement happening in the country for the next 100 years atleast!
Old 12th July 2012, 22:25   #71
BHPian

you're not the only one... and i think Bombay roads are just getting extremely dangerous with these kind of people.

It's extremely annoying to deal with people like these... but then again with the absurd road rage cases that you read of these days... you can never tell what reactions people can demonstrate when cornered for being wrong. If you are driving alone, it's best to avoid an altercation as far as possible.. but of course if you end up with damage and in an accident as a result of someone doing this.. I would probably lose my cool instantly too.

Last edited by Vandit : 12th July 2012 at 22:38.
Old 12th July 2012, 22:27   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77
Today I was driving at night on the sea-link doing about 60kmph in the left lane when I see a black S class speeding in the lane to my right. Suddenly, I hear him honking like mad and flashing his highbeam continuously at the car in front of him. Since that car refused to give way, he came behind me and started his same honking and high beam flashing. I just continued at steady 60kmph while the maniac behind was going nuts. We reach the toll and he is in the toll lane to my right. I notice a gypsy trailing him closely. There was quite a bit of rush at the toll due to it being rushhour traffic, but this guy was as impatient as can be. Suddenly I see one of his bodyguards in the gypsy climb out of the gypsy and stands on the step of the car. He starts yelling at the toll collector to collect the toll fast so that this dude can pass through. They sound their loud siren. Suddenly the gypsy driver surges ahead with a jerk and this bodyguard falls off the step onto the bonnet of an Alto behind. He then starts yelling and abusing the gentleman in the Alto while beating on his windows. A fellow bodyguard then came out and pulled him away but he too was making gestures at the gentleman.
After the toll, I saw the S class speed away and expected the gypsy to follow too. Instead the gypsy was driving slowly until the Alto cleared the toll and then he rammed the brakes. The poor gentleman in the Alto swerved to the left to avoid hitting the fools and narrowly missed those people who sit on the left side of the sealink at the bandra end. (Why do they sit there anyway?) The old gentleman then just floored it and went away while these goons were laughing away in their gypsy.

This is the sad state of affairs in our country. I am sure the gentleman was over 70 years of age and look at the way he was treated for absolutely no fault of his. By the way the S-class number was MH04**007.
You should have photographed it, written like you have about it and given it to TOI to print. I am beginning to dislike this country immensely now. Seriously it may be worth getting out and not coming back.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 22:34   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You should have photographed it, written like you have about it and given it to TOI to print. I am beginning to dislike this country immensely now. Seriously it may be worth getting out and not coming back.
Exactly. I think everyone should make 1 trip abroad to countries where people drive "civilised". The respect and consideration that people have in this country towards one another in general is probably at the root of it. Rash driving and bullying is just a manifestation of what India has become.
Old 12th July 2012, 22:39   #74
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit

Exactly. I think everyone should make 1 trip abroad to countries where people drive "civilised". The respect and consideration that people have in this country towards one another in general is probably at the root of it. Rash driving and bullying is just a manifestation of what India has become.
Greed and blind acquisitiveness rule. Might is Right. All else is secondary. We seem to be doomed in this way. India had become a horrible place with horrible people it seems.
Old 12th July 2012, 23:50   #75
BHPian

The purpose of this video by the Delhi Traffic Police was to educate the Indian drivers about road manners. However there is a learning after 9 seconds of this video is played. A VIP Is the King of the Road. No rules for them Sir.

May 6, 2010 4:08am | Facebook

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks