Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2006, 22:48   #46
BHPian

Glad to know that your friend and his family is safe, but that dosent look like a road where one should be doing 70kmph.
Old 22nd June 2006, 12:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Well, it was really lucky that all passengers were wearing the seat belts and survived.

Though there is not much which can be said about Innova's safety from this accident, for following reasons:
1. It has thankfully hit in the left belly of the bus, so significant impact has been absorbed by the bus. The deformation in the bus shows this. In that part of the bus there is no hard restraining part, the accident could have been fatal had the car hit the chasis in anyway.

2. Parts of dashboard have breached inside the passenger cabin, which is again very dangerous. I still remember an accident of Tata Sumo, where a similar breach inside the cabin entered my friends leg and created lot of complication.
Also, while looking at the picture, one needs to realize that at time of actual impact the dash would be much more closer and then would have recoiled back.

Finally, the diesel tanks are in the right belly of the bus, so again very very lucky here... People inside should thank their stars...

BTW, did the Innova driver ever saw the bus at all??
I didn;t notice any tire marks...
Old 22nd June 2006, 14:24   #48
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia
Glad to know that your friend and his family is safe, but that dosent look like a road where one should be doing 70kmph.
...in an Innova. These big beasts may be very comfortable, but are not made for speeding on Indian roads. Anyone who gets impatient when getting stuck behind slow traffic, particularly heavy vehicles, should avoid these big SUV's. The only places where you can safely do high speeds in an Innova may be roads like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, but even there they cannot keep up with smaller cars given the fairly high traffic these days -- you simply can't cut lanes at high speeds in these vehicles. And there aren't too many roads like the Expressway in India -- elsewhere, the SUV's are like sitting ducks for small cars like my Santro. I remember a Hyundai Tucson guy desperate to go past me in the Pune bypass road but got left far behind. But the Tucson was awesome when we hit the Expressway -- just zoomed past me while my Santro was struggling on an upward slope. Similarly the Honda CRV seems to be fairly agile on big roads and I have beem passed by a couple of these on the Expressway. In comparison to Tucson and CRV, the Innova seems to be very sluggish.
Old 22nd June 2006, 14:38   #49
Jay
BHPian

Hey Jango good to hear nobody were injured, that looks like a bad crash, the front of the Car is a mess, yet the cabin looks like it held its place....

Quote:
Originally Posted by punka23
Hey where the Airbag go??
Read the previous posts to know about the airbags....
Old 23rd June 2006, 20:47   #50
BHPian

Alarm!!!!

The guy in the 4th pic who is looking straight (with specs, half white mush) is the same guy who is wearing a cop dress in the next pic!!!!!!

What is this???

What do you say guys? One of my friend pointed this out and now i am sure it is same guy in police clothes and civilian clothes. something fishy!!
Old 23rd June 2006, 22:29   #51
BHPian

hey i didnt notice that before, yes its same guy. off duty cop who later came back on duty?
Old 23rd June 2006, 22:46   #52
BHPian

Glad that your friend and his family are safe..However going through this article..I have found that sometimes opinions are not without a sense of irony...Now if the passengers had died..Then Innova was Unsafe...Now nothing of this sort happened,,and thank God..! The Car is the next battle Tank...However Innova is the weakest car from the side...and the Car also suffers from the Sumo's C pillar issue which crumples on impact...! I although don't have any photo-graphs to share, but during the last year while I was working nights...I have seen multiple accidents of BPO cabs and of the few I can remember Innova was badly damaged in from the side, as it had been rammed by a TATA 407 Turbo ( The fastest Lil Truck in India)...Somehow- Almost every accident I have seen was a toyota product, infact the worst ever was a corrolla smashed to a flat panel monitor was the last I saw in recent times...I'm not rating anything here ...or branding Toyota to be Unsafe..I can never do that...as My dad's first car in Muscat was a Toyota Cressida...and It was a sensible and safe machine considering how many trips dad took us across to wadi's in the mountains...! Even Mercedes for that matter is not such a safe car as potrayed..If you remember Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed died in the Mercedes which so called was rammed by a Fiat UNO and crashed into a subway tunnel....No car can be called Safe...! You are free to term them Protective.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 23rd June 2006 at 23:01.
Old 24th June 2006, 15:46   #53
BHPian

how safe can i get for indian roads???

yes thats one reason when i come back to india i am planning to buy a 407, (didnt like the tempo), get a Chevy Van design internal, a double wheeled rear, tough bull bars upfront and sideskirts bar type, and a nascar internal cage design, two stepneys on the rear and i have quite a strong machine for the highway cruise.

NOW only got to be careful of avoiding ravines,
the drunken tusker / comet driver who could pulp me
or the villagers who could squash me if i ran over someone on a two wheeler or autorick of their clan obviously since its a bigger vehicle now.

does it make sense...

Last edited by 2fast4u : 24th June 2006 at 15:48.
Old 18th July 2006, 17:53   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
The guy in the 4th pic who is looking straight (with specs, half white mush) is the same guy who is wearing a cop dress in the next pic!!!!!!

What is this???

What do you say guys? One of my friend pointed this out and now i am sure it is same guy in police clothes and civilian clothes. something fishy!!

dID'T NOTICE That before.....probably he was taking charge of the shift or would have just got over with his shift !!
Old 18th July 2006, 17:57   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
.. i am planning to buy a 407, (didnt like the tempo), get a Chevy Van design internal, a double wheeled rear, tough bull bars upfront and sideskirts bar type, and a nascar internal cage design, two stepneys on the rear and i have quite a strong machine for the highway cruise.
Way to go ! Just get the 407 Turbo.
And Lets start the RV movement here ..
Old 12th March 2009, 16:47   #56
BHPian

Innova ram on tree!!

Check out what happens when an innova ram into a tree on 100kmph+ ??
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crash with pics !!-28122008270.jpg  

Old 12th March 2009, 16:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do away with the stupid "bigger at fault" law and bring in strict penalties for people knowingly breaking rules. For example jumping red light and killing someone should not be "simple 2 years jail rash driving charge" but manslaughter as you knew such an act could kill. Same for people who drive on wrong side to save a few hundred meters of driving.
As far as I know, in India, there is a huge difference between whatever laws exist, and their enforcement or implementation.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:18   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_shanz View Post
Let me guess : Tree falls down?

Just kidding. Hope no one was injured in that smash.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:24   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_shanz View Post
That tree has been uprooted by the Innova!
Old 12th March 2009, 18:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

A tree being uprooted by Innova is next to impossible.
Near our home, the then newly constructed society ( neighbouring society, we share a common compound wall ) was going to have compound wall. A tree was coming in between. That was neem tree with 20 ft. height ( approx. ).
Now just to uproot that tree, a tractor's torque was not sufficient. The tractor's rear tyres were smelling at the end of 5 mins. It took more than half an hour, the time by which some small burning particles coming out in exhaust.

So the theory of an Innova uprooting a tree is not applicable. Even the mighty busses and truck are broken down when they collide into tree. This tree is quite big for a car like Innova ( weighing around 2.2 tons gross ) to bring down. That said, Innova seems to be strong vehicle.
This was in reference to the image posted on pg. 4.
In the first page, the Innova that has rammed into bus is a nasty sight. Innova again proves to be one quite safe vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks