Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 17:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The Deputy CM says that 'offenders' today will be penalised for honking. This news is from yesterday’s Hindustan Times.

I am sick and tired of this attitude of the government. Why do people honk? Because the government has failed to adequately train drivers and they have miserably faile
probably also be the only country to have a 'No Honking Day' and the government will actually believe that by doing this they are making the country a better place to live!
You're right. This is just going to end up scamming all of us. I dont see the point of this stupid rule until they curb drivers with no lane sense, jaywalkers and a lot of other things that are the main cause for all this horniness.

For example, the only way I can drive out of my office premises and onto the main road without honking is by mowing down either a few dozen pedestrians blissfully walking with music from their mobiles playing through earphones, or 10-12 hawkers that line either side of the road and the footpath. Which I think I'll do if they ever give me a ticket. Morons.
Old 8th April 2008, 17:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
... and a lot of other things that are the main cause for all this horniness.
Care to list them?

Quote:
For example, the only way I can drive out of my office premises and onto the main road without honking is by mowing down either a few dozen pedestrians blissfully walking with music from their mobiles playing through earphones, or 10-12 hawkers that line either side of the road and the footpath.
Get a FFE ajay. It'll definitely solve this hornie problem.
Old 8th April 2008, 17:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Get a FFE ajay. It'll definitely solve this hornie problem.
I assume FFE implies a loud exhaust. I can assure you my music system will belt out a lot more than that. But for that, I'll have to roll down the windows and smell the jaywalking wankers.
Old 8th April 2008, 17:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I assume FFE implies a loud exhaust. I can assure you my music system will belt out a lot more than that. But for that, I'll have to roll down the windows and smell the jaywalking wankers.
Oops Sorry Ajay i completely forgot about your ICE. My bad.

However to further help you, get an alternate ICE setup ON the car. This way you wouldnt have to roll the windows down or get a loudspeaker like on the cop cars. This way you can communicate with them.
Old 21st December 2008, 14:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Jan 1st, NCR: Keep your hands off that horn!!

The Delhi traffic police, has declared 1st January 2009 as a no-honking day.
Heres the article from TOI

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Horn please? No way. If you think needless and ceaseless honking is ingrained in the DNA of every Delhiite who sits behind the wheel, you could be in for a pleasant surprise this New Year day. January 1 will be observed by the traffic police as No Honking Day in the capital.

And, by the sound of it, this is not going to be just a token gesture of good intent. As part of the drive, taxi, auto and Blueline drivers will be educated at length on the ills of honking without purpose. Road shows will be held at important intersections, where the problem is acute.

Police officials say honking is one of the major contributors towards road rage in the capital. The decibel levels on Delhi roads are way higher than the safe limit of about 60 dbs, posing a major threat to public health and well-being.

‘‘We are going to talk to each driver and tell them about the health problems caused by horns and the resultant noise pollution. When the driver is convinced, a sticker about the no-honking campaign will be pasted on his vehicle,’’ said Ravi Kalra, founder president of The Earth Savers Foundation, the NGO behind the initiative.

Former Joint CP (traffic) Maxwell Pereira, who was instrumental in banning honking at intersections in the city in 2002, has also lent support to the cause
Source

A good initiative for sure. The only thing to see is how many actually take this seriously. Its almost impossible to drive on Delhi's roads without horns!! But, I'll try anyhow.

What about you??
Old 21st December 2008, 16:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

I'll give it a try and restrain myself. But I know I won't be successful. Rather would stay at home, thus will not add to noise pollution, atmosphere pollution and road menace. 3-in-1
Old 21st December 2008, 19:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guru,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I'll give it a try and restrain myself. But I know I won't be successful.
Disocnnect your horn wire. I am sure you can manage. I just did 2360kms a round trip (Alleppey - Belgaum) without using the horn and I was in the thick of Bangalore traffic both while going up and down.

Last edited by trrk : 21st December 2008 at 20:00.
Old 21st December 2008, 20:16   #38
BHPian

Practically this is not possible in delhi traffic.. Will try my level best though..
Old 21st December 2008, 20:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

Will try my best. Though with a vRs in hand, i find it a bit tough to do it. but will try.
Old 21st December 2008, 20:39   #40
jat
BHPian

Outside India, in most of the countries, I have managed without honking for days and when I had to use it, it was just a small pulse.

Here, I still manage without honking, but not for so long. Sometimes, you just can't avoid it. For example there were group of guys and girls standing in the middle of road. I stopped and waited, but they won't budge. Finally, I had to honk to get the passage for me. hehehe.

No honking rule should be followed in all over India. And they should also start educating people against the use of funky horns (child crying, wailing sirens, etc) which are again quite irritating on the road and distracts in already tensed driving conditions.
Old 21st December 2008, 20:48   #41
Sha
BHPian

Without honking its difficult to drive in India. Its good initiative of no-honking day it should be done in all cities, i will try my best not to honk.
Old 21st December 2008, 23:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thank God I am not in NCR. What the government is trying to do is get some attention. If the traffic is disciplined, nobody would use horn. I am sure this is impossible and rather the cops will make the most out of this.

Without horn atleast I feel unsafe while driving.
Old 22nd December 2008, 08:29   #43
BHPian

I dont agree with swami, there are many people who will blow horns without reasons, however there are more people who will start to cross the roads even Higways and would only stop if you blow horns.
Good initiative by the police but wrong people to be applied on.
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

I don't think that the No Horn Day on 1st Jan is a Govt initiative and even if it is, it is not enforceable compulsorily..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Thank God I am not in NCR. What the government is trying to do is get some attention.

Without horn atleast I feel unsafe while driving.
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Sounds tough to me will try my level best, but i am very sure i will have to lay down my weapons while crouching in Karol Bagh Traffic while returning from office in evening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks