Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 12:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_ren_auto View Post
But is it really a smart card. Does it have details like biometrics stored in a chip? Seems like it is a plastic card with a hologram and qr code.
It doesn't have a chip. It's a plastic card with a few security features like a hologram, microprinting, guilloche pattern, etc.

Do we actually need a smart card with a chip nowadays? Isn't a QR code sufficient? I think most devices can read a QR code easier than a chip.
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 13:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
It doesn't have a chip. It's a plastic card with a few security features like a hologram, microprinting, guilloche pattern, etc.

Do we actually need a smart card with a chip nowadays? Isn't a QR code sufficient? I think most devices can read a QR code easier than a chip.
I just don't really see the point in it. What do I gain by going through this convoluted process and paying money to get my license on a plastic card? Sure, it looks better than the old laminated paper one but what else? The old ones are still valid so if someone is going to counterfeit your license, they could just fake the old one which lacks these security features.
Old 25th May 2023, 13:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
The old ones are still valid so if someone is going to counterfeit your license, they could just fake the old one which lacks these security features.
Agreed, the security features are of no use as long as the old ones are valid, even if the new one has a microchip. But it's at least presentable now.

Regardless, the best way to validate a driving license is to check with the Parivahan database (link below). So as long as there's an option to validate the driving license online, I think it's good enough.

https://parivahan.gov.in/rcdlstatus/?pur_cd=101
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 14:09   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I just don't really see the point in it. What do I gain by going through this convoluted process and paying money to get my license on a plastic card? Sure, it looks better than the old laminated paper one but what else? The old ones are still valid so if someone is going to counterfeit your license, they could just fake the old one which lacks these security features.
Very true. I got this for two reasons:

1) My 1 year old laminated license already started to peel off even though it's in my purse and havent taken it out.
2) I dont want to pay 1300 in the future when they say this new license is mandatory. Better to pay 245 now and have a decent card that hopefully should last longer.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 15:34   #35
BHPian

Had applied for the same. Did the payment and completed the formalities. it's been more than 3 weeks since then and the application status is still shown as "pending with the RTO". Not sure what is the hold-up. There seems to be no helpline to get clarifications on the same.
Old 25th May 2023, 17:49   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Had applied for the same. Did the payment and completed the formalities. it's been more than 3 weeks since then and the application status is still shown as "pending with the RTO". Not sure what is the hold-up. There seems to be no helpline to get clarifications on the same.
Just click "View More" and see if it's under printing. That stage takes the most time and for me as well, it took almost a month.

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-screenshot-20230525-5.48.50-pm.png
Old 26th May 2023, 09:09   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Kerala Driving License - Smartcard

Here's how I replaced my current driving license to a smart card.
Thank you Naveen for sharing this; just did my application online.

Not exactly a smooth system to run through. I wanted to update name also in the DL (they have just initial instead of my last name). But somehow the system doesn't allow two services together. Anyway lets see if the new license comes within the next month or so

Edit: Do you they send by ordinary post or registered?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 09:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Just click "View More" and see if it's under printing. That stage takes the most time and for me as well, it took almost a month.

Attachment 2455024
Do we need to submit any documents/receipts physically at our RTO? I uploaded the Driving license in the portal.

Because the receipt mentions doing so within 3 working days. Please, see the receipt below.

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-mgjn-replacement-fees.jpg
Old 26th May 2023, 10:07   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not exactly a smooth system to run through. I wanted to update name also in the DL (they have just initial instead of my last name). But somehow the system doesn't allow two services together. Anyway lets see if the new license comes within the next month or so

Guess you can change your name, but a different service as you mentioned. I had changed the address and that was quick.

Gave my wife's license as well on 22nd May and now it shows "Printing". Let's see the time for that as well.

They send via speed post - but not exactly "speedy" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Do we need to submit any documents/receipts physically at our RTO? I uploaded the Driving license in the portal.

Because the receipt mentions doing so within 3 working days. Please, see the receipt below.
Not required. I just checked my payment receipt and it said the same. Noticed that only now .
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 10:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
No, you don’t have to visit the RTO or submit any physical documents. I think the note on the receipt is something they had in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I wanted to update name also in the DL (they have just initial instead of my last name). But somehow the system doesn't allow two services together.
If you want to change your name on your license, just apply for a name correction. They'll update it and send you a new card. You don't need to apply for a replacement again in this case.

Quote:

They send the card via speedpost and the tracking number will be there on the application status page once they send it.
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 19:38   #41
BHPian

Hey all

I applied for the smart card on April 24th and it has been more than a month, and still no smart license nor any proper progress update,

The status remains under scrutiny as below, should I do something from my side?

Kerala: Convert licence & RC book to electronic format by Sept 30, 2013-license.jpg
Old 8th June 2023, 07:28   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Hey all

I applied for the smart card on April 24th and it has been more than a month, and still no smart license nor any proper progress update,

The status remains under scrutiny as below, should I do something from my side?
You should have received your license by now. Definitely some delay there. Scrutiny and verification should take only couple of days and it's the printing stage that usually takes more time (7-10 days). I applied for my wife's licence few weeks back and we received the new one.

And I haven't seen the "clerk" term when we applied and it was some "DVI counter". Get in touch with them. Here are few contacts:

aecrekm.mvd@kerala.gov.in
tcoffice.mvd@kerala.gov.in
ssgcell.mvd@kerala.gov.in
nossg.mvd@kerala.gov.in

Hard to get a reply from them but worth a try. There's an helpline number on parivahan site as well.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 17:17   #43
BHPian

Quote:
You should have received your license by now. Definitely some delay there. Scrutiny and verification should take only couple of days and it's the printing stage that usually takes more time (7-10 days). I applied for my wife's licence few weeks back and we received the new one.

And I haven't seen the "clerk" term when we applied and it was some "DVI counter". Get in touch with them. Here are few contacts:

aecrekm.mvd@kerala.gov.in
tcoffice.mvd@kerala.gov.in
ssgcell.mvd@kerala.gov.in
nossg.mvd@kerala.gov.in

Hard to get a reply from them but worth a try. There's an helpline number on parivahan site as well.
Thanks a lot, Like you said, getting a response from face to face itself is so difficult, so not expecting much from email solution, but will sent anyways.

Apart from that, I guess it goes to our local RTO in Kochi, so might give them a visit too.
Old 9th June 2023, 08:55   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Hey all

I suppose its the general delay due to multiple applications.

I had submitted on 19-May, it was in the Fee paid status for around a week and somewhere around 25 May the current status of yours got done.
Then from there, its in the waiting for endorsement status.

I had seen a news article last week mentioning that for some 4 days Parivahan site was down and also the payments made was not getting reflected in MVD accounts. You can anticipate some delay due to that too.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 13:38   #45
BHPian

@naveen.raju; @mpksuhas; @sarathlal; @vb-san
Applying for the updated DL for my dad and I am stuck on the Upload documents stage.

I am not able to input the complete DL number for his license (it takes only 14 characters and I count 15 unless the state and RTO designation can be avoided). Did any of you (on anyone else here) face this?

Don't need to upload the photo and signature for him (I guess they have it on file since he had got the license just two years back) so this is pretty much the last stage before payment.

Thanks naveen for the valuable post and everyone else for confirmation that it works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks