Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2006, 16:48   #16
BHPian

Yes ! Yes ! Yes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire
cabs are like wild elephants.. so when u see a elephant u obviously want to keep clear of risks .. because u find ur self in advantage.
Well Said ! .... Why did the baleno owner stopped wid a slap? should have given a kick as well to the driver....

I remember, this happened last year... 4 of my office colleagues were ferryed back home, early moring 6, because of the cab driver's insanity, the qualis was written off in accounts, , one of de employees who happened to be my Manager had a broken nose, 2 others were injured and the sadest past is the last person, skull was open...

Some cabbies are most responsible and some are irresponsible...

Last edited by nevertouchme : 15th June 2006 at 16:50.
Old 15th June 2006, 17:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

An incident which happened with me last week.Had been to mahabaleswhar with my relatives and in my mamas zen.There was an ST bus all empty goin at about 90 to 100 km i honked him to let me overtake and he gave me way but as soon as i was half way down with the overtaking he suddenly came on the right side and almost touched the zens left side rearview mirror.Braked so hard that the wheels almost locked at that speed.With 5 adults and 2 kinds on board i was scared about an accident happening.That ST bus seeing me brake slowed down a little but was again on 80s and 90s.Again honked and again he signaled me to go and this time i was prepared for his reaction which was the same and braked well in advance.
I was all ready to belt that guy as soon as i got the chance.He Slowed down for a truck which was comming from the opposite direction and was comming head on for him.I had already sloted the gear into 2nd and was waiting for redling the zen and overtaking this fellow.Overtook him and slowly stopped in the middle of the road when some vehicles were comming from the opposite side so he could not overtake my car and run off.Out i came with the wheel spanner removed from the took kit.By then he also got out and before i could say anything he started with mother sister bad words.That was it.Broke his headlight gave him a punch on his face and condunctor and him both pushed me once and then even the conductor got a punch.He noted down my number saying that he would complain to the police.Told him not to even think about that as if he did complain he would have to loose his job and some teeths as bonus
Old 15th June 2006, 17:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29
door of qualis and i gave two tight slap to the driver and he started sorry sorry so i couldnt hit him more but i was not able to control my anger and i broke his side mirrors.
.. That was uncalled for... ENTIRELY! ... esp considering you had already slapped the guy + the guy also apologised.. I can understand you were pissed but nothing actually happened to you/your vehicle right?... could have been a genuine mistake..

Sorry Pdev.. nothing personal.. just a opinion..
Old 15th June 2006, 17:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Its sad to see the amount of rage and anger people seem to be demonstrating on the road. Yes accidents happen, and many because of lack of civic/driving sense - but this aggression can only add to the 'do what you can get away with' attitude to road usage, not a responsible road sharing one.
Do some people around here even understand the meaning of the word 'accident' ?
Old 15th June 2006, 18:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
and u call yourself an automobile lover
bro we went off road and we were about bang a light pole.
Old 15th June 2006, 19:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Sometimes these guys get irritated by persistent honking and do the opposite of what the honking is intended for.
rks, what you have said is 100% right.

This morning i was behind a MUV, which followed a state transport bus. the MUV guy was trying to overtake the bus in all possible ways with continious honking. But could not succeed. After few kms, he got a chance and overtook the bus. That guy simply stopped the vehicle before the bus after moving ahead and the argument went for few mins.

I was following the bus & noted down that bus driver signalling the vehicles to move forward, which was trying to overtake (ofcourse not honking continously and frustrating).
Old 15th June 2006, 20:53   #22
BHPian

Here's what I saw written on the back on a car in US:

" An eye for an eye leaves all of us blind".
Old 15th June 2006, 21:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

US uh ? Hmmm, thats originally from a certain M.K.Gandhi, and it summarizes his philosophy beautifully

I even found a link for it!
http://http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/1908
Old 15th June 2006, 21:58   #24
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
rks, what you have said is 100% right.

This morning i was behind a MUV, which followed a state transport bus. the MUV guy was trying to overtake the bus in all possible ways with continious honking. But could not succeed. After few kms, he got a chance and overtook the bus. That guy simply stopped the vehicle before the bus after moving ahead and the argument went for few mins.

I was following the bus & noted down that bus driver signalling the vehicles to move forward, which was trying to overtake (ofcourse not honking continously and frustrating).
Yes, I have observed this behaviour many, many times and sometimes I have also been at the receiving end when I got frustrated and honked too much.

And I fully agree with the views for moderation expressed by zenx, kb100, ritik123 and Satya. Road rage is a big no-no. It is also downright dangerous to get into fist fights with cab/bus/auto drivers, conductors, etc. These guys can note down your number and gang up to make you pay heavily at some future date. You have a lot to lose; these guys don't care. It always pays to be cool, dispassionate and professional in your approach while on the road. And a little bit of understanding and compassion for your fellow driver, when he makes mistakes, will also help.
Regards, rks
Old 16th June 2006, 00:31   #25
BHPian

[quote=rks]

Road rage is a big no-no. It is also downright dangerous to get into fist fights with cab/bus/auto drivers, conductors, etc. These guys can note down your number and gang up to make you pay heavily at some future date.

Yes rks, I agree with that. Sometimes your blood starts boiling at the opposite driver. But its very important that one understands what the results are to be like. When with a family specially with kids such violent acts aren't recommended.

I have always noticed that by making a joke of the situation, you are more likely to irritate and annoy the other person. Once happended with me........It was at the third signal after entering dahisar on the Western Express Highway. The signal coming towards Borivali was green for all three directions left, right and straight. I was moving straight towards town, when a scooterwalla stoped for turning right (even though it was green) Even I had to. Then I requested him to atleast move out of the way as the signal was still green. But he refused to. I even reversed but that did not help. Atlast no option but to wait as by now the signals had turned red. Somehow managed to get near him and asked him "Kya mila aiisa kar ke" .He just looked the other side. As the lights turned green, he tried to start his scooter but only after 5 kicks.....we simply laughed at that and moved on. The expression on his face was worse than Mr. Bean (hahaha).

Perhaps, if I was with friends, he would have gone home without the scooter. But since I was with family, their safety comes first.

But the insane, witless buffaloes the black & yellow taxiwallas of bambai (mumbai) are a real pain in the ??? (city).

az
Old 16th June 2006, 08:15   #26
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov
...as he was slowing the rest of the traffic along with me right behind him. But he paid no attention to my honking and kept going at his leisurely pace...
... blocking my path as if he wanted to play the big bully with me showing that might is right! ...
...he could not hold his horses and just stepped on the accelerator resulting in hitting the baleno parked in front him on its bumper. This in turn brought out the owner as well the driver of the baleno and without thinking much the baleno owner (seemed to be a respectable man in his 50’s) straight away slapped the driver of the qualis twice. Although the baleno hardly had a scratch on it but nevertheless the owner just could not figure out why his standing car was hit from the rear and that too with such a force...
The fifty-something man behaved the way he did, because the law (the police) often shows impotence.

Commanding a one to two ton vehicle at speed, is associated with an overwhelming responsibility to safeguard the life, limb and property of other road users.

Don't we all wish for an India where everybody drives safe and sane. Where traffic flows swiftly and smoothly. Where every driver respects the other road user like himself.

On the road to India's prosperity and rightful place among global nations, may our volume of vehicles increase, with the discipline that it calls out for!

To bring about this India, we must be very very strict about
1) The licensing process. The law can look after this.
2) Punishing anti-social and threatening behavior in traffic. If the law won't look after this, the public will!

Some people appreciate politely expressed reason.
Some others who consider politeness a weakness, only understand the language of the stick.

Some yuppie upstarts and spoiled brats of big daddies threaten public safety and peace with their irresponsible behavior. Just fining their overflowing pockets serves no outcome.
Only when the punishment far exceeds the crime, will we have restrained public behavior.

The Qualis driver who was slapped will hopefully drive more carefully,
otherwise he will get slapped again, maybe even thrashed into hospital.
Old 16th June 2006, 10:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

So the same 'public justice' ganging up against the guy in the 'bigger vehicle' in cases where the fault was clearly not theirs is ok too ? How do you draw the line ? How do you figure out and pass judgement on the road whose fault it was, and if it was genuinely an 'accident' ? Does the guy who can turn public opinion against the other/bash up the physically/socially/situationally weaker guy get to decide ?
Its a dangerous precedent, and cannot be condoned. At least not on a foruum like this.
Old 16th June 2006, 12:10   #28
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
...So the same 'public justice' ganging up against the guy in the 'bigger vehicle' in cases where the fault was clearly not theirs is ok too ?
Sameer, when did you decide that the fault was clearly not theirs?

Should we confuse and muddy-up issues with unwarranted suspicion, where none exists?

Such confusion and its creators are the reason why
in the purported "grand" cause of blind impartial democratic justice,
litigations in India, drag-on for years on end, making the issues murkier and murkier,
until they die their own natural deaths.

Quote:
How do you draw the line ? How do you figure out and pass judgement on the road whose fault it was, and if it was genuinely an 'accident'? Does the guy who can turn public opinion against the other/bash up the physically/socially/situationally weaker guy get to decide ?
Hello! What utopia do we imagine, we live in?

Do we live in a perfect world, where the public ignores accidents as private matters of the perpetrator and victim? A world where the police and the legal machinery magically arrive at a timely, impartial judgement to close the case?!

Quote:
Its a dangerous precedent, and cannot be condoned. At least not on a foruum like this.
And Dangerous precedent for who?
Excuse me, but are we favoring the unruly yuppie brats who daily threaten the safety of society at large, in their exorbitant machines? Let the public give them their well deserved chastisement, when they overstep modesty.

Shouldn't we leave the forum participants to figure out for themselves, what should, or should not be condoned on the forums? That's what I'd say!
Old 16th June 2006, 13:04   #29
BHPian

Hi All,

Sometimes keeping a pepper spray in the car for self defence would help a lot to tackle persons who are stronger than you.
Old 16th June 2006, 13:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram

And Dangerous precedent for who?
Excuse me, but are we favoring the unruly yuppie brats who daily threaten the safety of society at large, in their exorbitant machines? Let the public give them their well deserved chastisement, when they overstep modesty.

Shouldn't we leave the forum participants to figure out for themselves, what should, or should not be condoned on the forums? That's what I'd say!
Too judgemental.
a. i did not mean x or y was at fault in this specific instance - but - generally - have seen and been at the receiving end of instances where even tho a guy was at fault (drunk scooterist hits stationery car, falls and hurts himself), the mob gangs up against the guy in the bigger vehicle - the rich filthy 'yuppie' as they see it must've driving rash. Ok with mob judgement in this case ?

b. the yuppie/call centre guy driving idiotically and endangering lives is one out of many possibilities in an acident. And whatever precedent road users (including us, the people who probably understand things better and can start a change) set will be apply to all. So if its 'instant social justice', be prepared to be at the wrong end unjustly as I wound up being.

c. I am part of the same forum, so do have a say in whether we should condone/discourage certain behaviour. I know individually we've all been guilty of it one time or another, but to effect change we must, as a community, recognise whats not correct.

Utopian ? Possibly. But unless u start aiming for something, you won't get even halfway there.

Most Viewed