Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2013, 15:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Carswappings.com - Car Swapping service launched in India

You are rich enough to own an more than a single vehicle, have a chauffeur who gets paid upward of 5 figures every month sitting idle. Yet, you want to travel for free when you visit another town?
Recompose is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 15:46   #47
BHPian

This carswapping website is not working any more. I think it died its natural death! The idea was indeed horrible for a country like India. It might work in some Nordic countries, like Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, etc. These countries have almost zero crime rate and the society is like a big family, where the logistics for joining such a program won't be a big headache for the participants. Little off the topic, but I wish for a self-drive rental option in Mumbai, similar to "Zoom" in Bangalore. For one day, I would love to hire a self-drive SUV and go on a an small adventure trip! When are we getting a self-drive rental option in Mumbai?
Old 27th December 2013, 16:44   #48
BHPian

After driving company pool cars for so many years I am not so possessive about my car anymore. In fact we had a good system where we had a parking lot close to the airport where we could just get off a flight and pick up a car for the duration of the stay. The only condition was that the car had to returned with a full tank of fuel and clean (both inside/outside)

Of course on the if it a priced personal possession this would be a different story
Old 27th December 2013, 17:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmum View Post
For one day, I would love to hire a self-drive SUV and go on a an small adventure trip! When are we getting a self-drive rental option in Mumbai?
Myles (http://www.carzonrent.com/self-drive/search/mumbai/) is now available in Mumbai.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 19:38   #50
BHPian

I suggest that this thread should have a poll, asking if people are either ready to swap their car or not, so that all the BHPians can unanimously vote and vouch their love and attachment for their cars.
Old 29th December 2013, 11:09   #51
BHPian

I want to understand the legal implications of using a private car (white plates) to ferry passengers from A to B or as a stage carrier in return for money.
I thought only commercially registered vehicles (yellow plates) can ferry passengers and charge them. Please enlighten me on this subject.
Old 29th December 2013, 17:09   #52
BHPian

The number of people in India with:
1. One car is less
2. Two cars is still less
3. Two cars and a chauffeur is still lesser
4. Two cars, a chauffeur and willing to lend his car to someone else is still lesser

Most people with two cars or more with a chauffeur are mostly business men doing some brick and mortar business and are not necessarily on the internet most of the time. They are busy men who need their cars at their disposal almost all the time. I don't think somebody would want to lend their car for the mere 3 points worth 1000 bucks.

I am somehow in two minds about the idea - I think they might be able to find a very niche set of customers to buy the idea.

Last edited by bharatbits : 29th December 2013 at 17:10.
Old 29th December 2013, 17:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

I am not interested. I will not give my car or bike to all and sundry. I will rather take a taxi, thank you.
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:13   #54

A concept that may surely make someone think whether the concept has been really researched upon before flagging off.Many may even shirk off the same.
But the concept is unique in its own way of pleasing personal niche of travellers who prefer their taste to be honored everywhere.
Possible additions to the "Salient features" can be -
1. Insurance cover in case of mishap.
2. Points system backed up with awarding Host on the basis of Post service follow-up.

Also need to take care that the transactions take place each time only through the website officially , or the Host & Guest can get close enough to share as friends.:-)
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:16   #55

Helpline / toll-free number timings can have 24x7 working hours to enhance day-night long quick service at even extempore requisites.
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_Bot View Post
I don't quite understand the whole concept of it.
For a second, I thought this thread is about swapping duly registered cars amongst heir respective owners (cases when you wish to switch to a different vehicle and you have a person ready and willing to exchange his ride for yours). But having read the entire post as well as the website, I really don't understand the concept of it all. My doubts are as under:

1. If I've driven to a new/alien city (outside my registering authority, ofcourse !), it is a conscious choice I have made and of course, I plan to continue using my vehicle in that particular city or state with a chauffeur who has driven me down all this way anyway or drive it around personally (Wouldn't I just fly in or take a train otherwise?) ?

2. The law holds no bar on using a vehicle registered in a particular state in another for a temporary purpose (read Sec. 47, M.V. Act, 1988) (speaking purely as a lawyer here). So why would I even think about swapping my beloved ride (which has ofcourse brought me so far) with a vehicle which is alien and unknown to me, along with no antecedents about the person driving it ?

3. Besides the fact that the Donor's vehicle and chauffeur provided by him/her would be really helpful for me for my local runs around the town, what lies in it for the Donnee i.e. the person who has lent his vehicle to me and is now being driven around in mine (a vehicle of unknown history) along with a chauffeur with no idea about local demography (i.e. my chauffeur) ? What's in it for him ?

4. How do I ascertain that donor takes the same care of my vehicle as I'd prefer him to and vice-versa ?

5. Why do I need such a awkward swap to begin with ? Wouldn't I rather leave my baby home if I were to conquer unknown territories with unaware chaufferurs ?

6. All the other apprehensions fellow T-bhpians have already raised.

This concept may hold good in theory, but I see no reason why person in his right mind would opt for it. Like GTO said, the idea is a bomb and a non-starter to begin with, mostly because it makes no sense at all.
You actually haven't got the concept right. No problem. Let me explain.

I stay in Pune. You stay in Mumbai. We both have cars WITH our own drivers. I need to visit Mumbai for a day for some important work. I travel to Mumbai by bus or train. I pre-book your car for my travel needs within the city. You send your car along-with your driver to pick me up from the railway station and take me to my desired destination. That's it.

Couple of points to note:

1. We need to decide between ourselves as for how long can I use your car and the driver. 1 hour? 4 hours? 10 hours?
2. Who will pay for the fuel?
3. Contractual agreement between members not to use this facility for any wrong doings, illegal or criminal activities.
4. No obligation on the passenger to foot the bill in case of an accident as the vehicle was driven and/or handled completely by the driver.
5. Passenger, under any circumstances, does not get to drive the car.
6. In case the owner has reservations regarding the car to be taken in certain areas, like crowded markets or gravel roads, this information needs to be shared and confirmed upfront.
7. You get to use my car along-with my driver when you travel to Pune; given that I am in Pune on the said date and time, and I have the car to spare for swapping with a fellow user.

Anyway, this looks like too much of a hassle and for a city like Mumbai, with its multiple public transport options, might not be an ideal in-city travel option. This might work in cities like Pune, where public transport is as good (or bad) as any third world African nation. Although, there is no dearth of private taxis, ready to ply you around the city comfortably. With operators like Girikand, you can even rent a car for self-drive. Why would anyone prefer this car-swapping option over existing comfortable and convenient options, remains to be seen.

Last edited by SankalpDesai : 2nd January 2014 at 17:34. Reason: Spell check
SankalpDesai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks