Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2014, 21:01   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service

This is like banning sun films for the entire country because someone went to court and claimed all bad guys use cars with sun films. Does that mean they stop being bad or this actually stopped someone from getting raped ?

I am not saying Uber is not liable, but banning them is not the solution. We should bring in laws to make background checks mandatory and have the same audited. And what guarantee can you get that someone with a positive background check won't commit a crime. Do all of us seriously think this criminal did not know of the consequences specially in a city like Delhi ? Or did he do it because he is a part of Uber ? If he has to, he will anyways, employed by Uber or not.

The basic problem is that these criminals are not scared. They think they can get away with anything. That needs to change. But sadly there is no one to implement that. Every time something unfortunate happens the solution is to stop it. Kolkata Park Street rape case: Shut down night clubs after 12. Delhi Bus rape case: Ban Sun films. Delhi Uber rape case : Ban radio taxis. Are Night clubs, sun films and radio taxis really the cause of these events ? Or is it, the laws and its enforcement ?
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 21:10   #512
BHPian

Re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think uber did a check, and police said this guy was A-okay
Attachment 1316296
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
Can the Govt ban/suspend/dismiss this, so called Govt. Servant who is supposed to work for the welfare of the people. I agree Uber is liable to be punished since they did not take action on the driver who was reported by another passenger. At the same time, we need to punish the respective transport/police authorities too. Putting the blame squarely on one party alone is not fair. This is one example which points to something which could have been prevented, had the Govt Agencies/Uber etc acted properly on time. But in a corruption infested society, where people think twice to go to police to file a complaint, Uber cannot be singled out and penalized.
The Delhi Police Commissioner has been on record to say that the Character Certificate is Fake and they have not issued it. Usually I don't believe what the Police say but the Certificate doesn't have a Date. The issued on entry is blank so I think they might be telling the truth. They have even registered a case of Forgery on Shiv Yadav.

Uber faulted when they accepted the Certificate provided by Shiv Yadav without verifying with Delhi Police if they had actually issued such a certificate. If this is not how a background check is supposed to be done then please pardon me for my ignorance.

Quote:
Delhi Police commissioner BS Bassi told reporters that on the date and place mentioned in the certificate, the officer was not posted there.

"I would like to inform you that we have got information that the date on which the said certificate was issued, the officer, whose signature are on the certificate, was not posted there.

"So, prima facie this antecedent's verification certificate is fake. An FIR has been registered to ensure a proper inquiry into the matter of forgery and cheating on the basis of the certificate," he said.

Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Just one point. Does the ban makes Delhi cab scene safer? If so. The ban is justified.

Only thing matters, is that does it mean, that I will be safer now ?
They by the same logic, all rapists should be let free because giving harsh punishment like death to rapists won't guarantee that there will be no more rapes anywhere in India and it won't make our country safer. Since we won't be safer even if much harsher punishment is given to rapists/murderers, they shouldn't be punished at all

Last edited by Turbo_Charger : 11th December 2014 at 21:16.
Turbo_Charger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 21:22   #513
BHPian

On September 30, my family and I lost our bags on an Uber cab. (We got on to the wrong cab that was waiting for another rider, when we switched to our cab, the driver did not hand us our bags).

Even after having the name, time and exact location of pickup, Uber was unable to do anything about the loss. At that time, Uber did not have a support desk, email, contact number so we wrote to the Twitter account which ignored our messages forever.

I'm not surprised at all about the Delhi incident and to this day refuse to hail the service any more.
pow3r2dawh33ls is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 21:40   #514
BHPian

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service. EDIT: Banned in Delhi after Rape case

As per this news in TOI, USA based Indian woman complained about the same accused driver to Uber on November 26. She complained about lewd conduct of the same driver and looks like Uber did not take any actions on the driver.

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/US-w...w/45475744.cms
Old 12th December 2014, 00:11   #515
Senior - BHPian

This is hilarious in a quite absurd way ,Uber offered 20 pounds in credit to a woman who complained of sexual harassment in London cab

http://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-ub...-credit-after-

Already Uber is being sued in California for falsifications on driver background checks. There they claim private investigators do a background checks.
And somehow there they don't present argument of being only an app.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/...les-misleading
Old 12th December 2014, 07:58   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service. EDIT: Banned in Delhi after Rape case

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow3r2dawh33ls View Post
On September 30, my family and I lost our bags on an Uber cab. (We got on to the wrong cab that was waiting for another rider, when we switched to our cab, the driver did not hand us our bags).

Even after having the name, time and exact location of pickup, Uber was unable to do anything about the loss. At that time, Uber did not have a support desk, email, contact number so we wrote to the Twitter account which ignored our messages forever.

I'm not surprised at all about the Delhi incident and to this day refuse to hail the service any more.

Sorry for your loss but how on earth did you manage to get into the wrong cab? Uber flashes you the driver name, number car registration and make/model immediately after you confirm the booking. If after all that you still got into the wrong cab, how is that Uber's fault?

And what exactly do you mean by "driver didn't hand over our bags"? If he ran off knowing your bags were in the car that is a law and order issue. Call the cops and file an FIR. Are you seriously waiting for Uber to play detective here?
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 08:43   #517
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service *EDIT: Banned in Delhi, Telangana, Thailand & Spain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
The Delhi Police Commissioner has been on record to say that the Character Certificate is Fake and they have not issued it. Usually I don't believe what the Police say but the Certificate doesn't have a Date. The issued on entry is blank so I think they might be telling the truth. They have even registered a case of Forgery on Shiv Yadav.

Uber faulted when they accepted the Certificate provided by Shiv Yadav without verifying with Delhi Police if they had actually issued such a certificate. If this is not how a background check is supposed to be done then please pardon me for my ignorance.
Agree fully here. If Uber guys had even half applied themselves, they should have caught this fake certificate right there.

Ditto on checking with police. Surely even if it means employing a "service provider" (read someone to follow up and bribe the cops) to verify the certificate's authenticity in each case, they should've done so.

These lapses are inexcusable.

However, if a cabbie clears all these checks and then still commits a crime, uber has limited culpability in that case. Here they clearly messed up.
Old 12th December 2014, 09:19   #518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post

They by the same logic, all rapists should be let free because giving harsh punishment like death to rapists won't guarantee that there will be no more rapes anywhere in India and it won't make our country safer. Since we won't be safer even if much harsher punishment is given to rapists/murderers, they shouldn't be punished at all
Yup same logic, because Uber committed the rape, right. Go re-read what I wrote.
Nobody is saying Uber should not be punished
An organization mades a lapse. A serious lapse. It should be fined. Fine it 10,000 crorers.
But you don't ban an idea itself.

As for letting rapists scot free, which you equated to my argument, I don't know what to say. Lets ban politicians because they do corruption. Ban police because they kill people in custody. Its like saying lets ban railways because they had faulty signalling systems which killed 300 people.

Fine Uber, Fina Ola, Fine all those who are breaking rules. But if you believe that this ban on all app based services is going to help in the safety of people. well then that is your belief and it does not match mine.

Of course, if you want to preserve your old industry, and old sources of revenue(like airbnb in the west), then by all means ban this. But be honest about the reason.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 09:36   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
In all of this you still haven't pointed out one thing with any valid or rational basis - what legal ground is there at all to ban the service.
The Uber app connects the cab and passenger for travel. In Delhi all commercial vehicles used for traveling within city limited should be CNG operated, while in case of Uber and several other app based service providers, these are even Diesel driven vehicles and this is against the law "atleast in municipal limits of Delhi".

I am sharing this information based on my casual discussion with a friend in Ministry of Surface Transport. According to him, Uber should have made specific arrangements to connect CNG based cars when the origin and destination are both in Delhi to be on this side of the law. Beyond the safety of the passenger, this will also go against them.

Cheers
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 09:45   #520
BHPian

Cab driver confesses that he raped more women! He also said that he knew how the police operated!

Quote:
Yadav is learned to have told police that he baited women looking for a ride outside malls in Gurgaon, and got away every time since he knew police's operating procedure. After committing a crime, he would lie low for a few days and then return to trap more women.
Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45483698.cms
Old 12th December 2014, 09:46   #521
Senior - BHPian

Car makers and financiers affected after the Uber incident :

Quote:
The ban on Internet taxi aggregators following the alleged rape of a woman executive on a Uber cab has made some collateral damage.

Car makers are among the badly hit, at a time when the industry is struggling to emerge from a painful period of falling sales. The aggregators, who have been facilitating drivers to buy cars and become their associates as they fought for market share, have been a contributor to sales for auto companies in recent months.

Auto financiers are another lot hit by the ban. While they expect increasing delinquency rates as the drivers who bought cars on loans may find it hard to pay EMIs with no business after authorities banning Web taxi services
Source : http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/45486229.cms

Last edited by sdp1975 : 12th December 2014 at 09:52.
Old 12th December 2014, 10:48   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
The Uber app connects the cab and passenger for travel. In Delhi all commercial vehicles used for traveling within city limited should be CNG operated, while in case of Uber and several other app based service providers, these are even Diesel driven vehicles and this is against the law "atleast in municipal limits of Delhi".

I am sharing this information based on my casual discussion with a friend in Ministry of Surface Transport. According to him, Uber should have made specific arrangements to connect CNG based cars when the origin and destination are both in Delhi to be on this side of the law. Beyond the safety of the passenger, this will also go against them.

Cheers
Interesting point, though I never saw this angle mentioned anywhere in the media.

Looks like it is not going to be easy for the cab drivers in Delhi to be legally compliant easily if they are driving diesel cars. I'm assuming all these drivers would need to operate elsewhere or sell their cars and buy a CNG car if they want to operate in Delhi. That said, if there is a rule that mandates CNG for operations in Delhi and cab drivers purchased diesel cars to operate within the same area, no sympathies on them for their potential loss. Those who purchased CNG cars might be able to associate with other recognized operators.
Old 12th December 2014, 11:18   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Car makers and financiers affected after the Uber incident
When a scam is unearthed, surely they will be affected parties. When Saradha scandal broke out, millions lost their money. Uber case is not as bad those affected by Saradha.
msdivy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 11:25   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
All such civil servants who wilfully ignore flagrant violations till some mess happens, should be prosecuted for dereliction of duty as well. Were the MST folks sleeping under a rock last couple of years?
Old 12th December 2014, 11:35   #525
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Very valid point. Uber is going to be in deep shit. Ban is for operations that do not follow rules. Uber is free to re-start if they want to follow rules, how much ever outdated they may be. It is also a knee-jerk reaction of those who call the ban unjustified. If you sit and think, you would understand that ban is the only way Govt. can make them to follow rules.They can't go over knees and beg Uber, USA (as they are not registered in India) to follow Indian Law without banning it. Reason for ban is not given as Rape.
srameshdelhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks