Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:03   #616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Uber is certainly *not* the "most pricey ride" you can get and they don't have a 200/- minimum billing as claimed by the piece. I have paid as little as 121/- myself.
I have paid 87/-, 72/- and such fares. They are as cheap as auto on many occassions and come with A/C comfort, polite and well behaved drivers, excellently maintained vehicles, no bargaining, ...
Old 23rd March 2015, 21:13   #617
BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I think members are better served reading this thread and its frequent and accurate updates rather than the Times of India whose articles are often..shall we say..."dictated by commercial interests"
Don't be surprised if in very near future, you start reading articles from Times praising Uber's services.

Reason - http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/22/uber-times-internet/

About the Forex, they now use Paytm as the payment gateway. Paytm is an Indian company with offices in Noida. I doubt there would be any fishy transaction or policy now.
Old 15th April 2015, 13:10   #618
BHPian

I have been trying to figure out on how to add the Paytm wallet on m.uber.com. Using the URL as there is no app for Blackberry q10.

Anybody using m.uber.com for their cab bookings can help me out.

Sohail
Old 15th April 2015, 15:48   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
I have been trying to figure out on how to add the Paytm wallet on m.uber.com. Using the URL as there is no app for Blackberry q10.

Sohail
I am not aware of adding through the mobile version of the site.

What you could do, is sign in to your account on the Uber Android App and then add the PayTM wallet to your account on the app.

This will then reflect on your account.

Worked for me when I was wondering how to add PayTM wallet on the yet to be updated Uber app for Windows Phone.
Old 15th April 2015, 16:19   #620
BHPian

Hi Ashwin, Just did that and it worked, now i can use from my blackberry browser.

Thanks!
Old 15th April 2015, 18:25   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ashwin, Just did that and it worked, now i can use from my blackberry browser.

Thanks!
Glad to help!

Happy Uber-ing!
Old 15th April 2015, 21:28   #622
BHPian

Quote:

Sohail

Doesnt bb os10 allow for sideloading of android applications? You should be able to source the apk file easily if that is possible for uber.
Old 17th April 2015, 09:34   #623
BHPian

kkkkkaran, it does for the z30, z10 etc, but not for q10, also could not find the .apk file over the net. Hence using the html5 browser app.
Old 21st April 2015, 11:41   #624
Team-BHP Support

Uber has announced that it will collect and remit service tax on fares for all rides on the platform in accordance with the amendment made in the union budget 2015-16.

The company has revised it fare structure to cover the applicable service tax, which will be transferred to the Government of India. The new fares are inclusive of the tax amount.

Earlier Uber had refused to pay service tax and asked the authorities to collect the tax from its driver partners. However, the tax authorities wanted Uber to collect the tax amount and remit it to the government like other companies.

Uber has quietly started following the rules set by the Government of India, one-by-one. Over time, it has been made to introduce safety measures and forced to apply for a radio taxi licence. Just last month, the company, along with competitor Ola, was told by the authorities that its policy of surge pricing was illegal in Bangalore.

Here's a look at the new fare structure:
  • UberGo - Base fare Rs. 45, Per km Rs. 8, Per minute Re. 1, Minimum fare Rs. 60
  • UberX - Base fare - Rs. 70, Per km Rs. 10, Per minute Re. 1, Minimum fare Rs. 100
  • UberBlack - Base fare Rs. 100, Per km Rs. 13, Per minute Rs. 1.5, Munimum fare Rs. 150
  • Uber SUV - Base fare Rs. 100. Per km Rs. 13, Per minute Rs. 1.5, Minimum fare Rs. 150

Sample fare estimates at revised fares:
Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-unnamed.png
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 14:25   #625
BHPian

Surge pricing is comparable to autos asking for extra money for somewhat similar reasons, isn't it?
Old 21st April 2015, 21:56   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Surge pricing is comparable to autos asking for extra money for somewhat similar reasons, isn't it?
Yes it is. It depends upon the demand of cabs within a particular area.
However, sometimes it is really funny how surge pricing differs. Those from Mumbai would understand this. I looked up for a cab from Juhu Circle. At one side of the circle, the surge pricing for UberX was 3X (three times the fare) whereas on the other three sides of the same circle, there was no surge pricing. Found it really funny that how can prices vary so drastically within a distance of 50 meters! However, one can simply book the cab for one side of the circle and then explain the driver to come towards the other side
amansanc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 14:25   #627
BHPian

I have been using Uber in Kolkata for few months now.
Compared to the situation when it launched initially, what I feel is that number of cabs has increased drastically. Nowadays, you can get a Uber easily, no cars available situations are rare.

However, for some very odd reason, my home area seems to always have atleast 1.6-1.8X surge during daytime. Just yesterday, it went up to 3.0x, which is ridiculously high (my house to Salt Lake for Kolkata people, would cost over Rs 900 according to that rate). Easily avoidable by apps like noSurge, which show you the nearest distance with no surge rates, usually thats within walking distance.

Another thing which is really weird, is the radius among which they allocate cars to you, is sometimes really huge. Sometimes I get a car which is near Ruby, while I am at Salt Lake. With rush hour traffic, that could mean a waiting period of over 30-40 mins.

Other than that, Uber has been a pretty reliable experience from when I am using it. Cars range from Suzuki Dzire , Ertiga , Innova , Tata Manza and so on for UberX and Sail UVA, Swift etc for UberGo. There is no UberBlack in Kolkata. Price range is also very reasonable, on par with Yellow and Black taxis for most part, while having AC too.
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:20   #628
Senior - BHPian

Another small tip for those looking to register for Uber but are unable to do so due to non-availability of the PayTM option.

Registering through the website on a desktop computer also enables you to choose PayTM as the mode of payment now.

So, on the signup page: https://get.uber.com/sign-up/

When you select India when entering your mobile number, the PayTM option is populated under payment.
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:45   #629
BHPian

Uber is now integrated with the Zomato app. One can book Uber to restaurants from within the Zomato app.
Name:  UberZomato.png
Views: 531
Size:  189.8 KB
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 19:10   #630
Senior - BHPian

So Uber App needs to be updated on my hand held and needs access to 'sms' on the phone.

Why do all of the apps need access to the media, camera, contacts et all? More importantly what are the implications for us, the end users

Most Viewed