Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 00:04   #601
BHPian

re: Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
If an Uber driver commits rape, Uber is banned. Going by same logic, will Indian Railways be shut down should their employee get accused of rape? Or will Delhi Police be disbanded if their employee is involved in a rape?
Both Railways and Police are regulated and someone somewhere is answerable. These are not Uber type set ups. What this incident has shown is that there are gaps in the Indian regulatory regime which smart folks like Uber and Ola put to good use. A typical service provider has skin in the game. Not Uber & Ola and the like. At least for now.

Point being: if government says Uber is not permitted to operate - should one be using it? Or, wait for there to be clarity Or, do a self risk assessment. I would rather err on the side of caution.
Old 5th February 2015, 08:06   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Just read in the ToI that Transport Dept is considering a ban on the Uber app in Maharashtra. Uber's promised staffed control room is still not up and it has also "not put panic buttons in cabs, nor has it displayed RTO and police helplines in cabs".

This is getting kinda ridiculous now. I have been travelling by cabs and autos for 30 years now. Never have I seen a blessed panic button in any I have travelled in. Always assumed that if I was in trouble all I had to do was put my head out the window and scream HELP! Or call 911.

Oh wait...this is India. No 911. No quick reaction emergency response. You can try calling the police control room (number different everywhere) and hope for the best. Or 100- not sure whether that works from a mobile phone though.

The most ironic thing is that one of the "safety measures" imposed on cab companies going forward is to have "an online facility for a passenger's relatives and friends to monitor his or her journey".

Gee I wonder where they got that idea from!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 10:07   #603
BHPian

Quote:
On Valentine's Day, for one day only, we're bringing #UberLUX to Bangalore. #UberLUX is a range of high-end vehicles driven by professional chauffeurs, for those moments of ultimate luxury and style. The range includes BMWs, Jaguars, Audis and Mercs, the most fitting rides for you and your love, on Valentine's Day.

#UberLUX option will be available between 5 PM and 1 AM on 14th February only.

Just got this email from Uber. Have fun people in Bangalore. Wish it was Zoom with the Jaguars though.
Old 14th February 2015, 10:16   #604
BHPian

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service. EDIT: Banned in Delhi after Rape case

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Just got this email from Uber. Have fun people in Bangalore. Wish it was Zoom with the Jaguars though.

And I got an email from them yesterday where they are offering chopper ride to couples today on Valentine's Day :-D
Here's an extract from that email:

So your Uber Delhi Team decided to make it easy for you to put together an epic date and help you kick it up a notch this Valentine's. We've teamed up with EuroCopter and Asian Haus to create a truly special experience that'll get you the title of best valentine, ever.

Hold you breath, Delhi. We're bringing you a chance to request a helicopter (that's right!) through your Uber app! Say hello to UberCHOPPER!

What will this special date entail? Pick-up and drop-off in an UberBLACK. Scenic ride in an UberCHOPPER. Delectable meal pool-side by Asian Haus. #loveisintheair
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 11:18   #605
Senior - BHPian

Uber Cabs has just launched the UberSUV service. Uber has launched the service to cater to customers who require added room, either for more passengers or for fitting in more luggage. UberSUV provides cars that can seat up to six people and comprises of Toyota Innovas and Tata Arias. These vehicles will still remain accessible when you choose to request an UberBLACK and the charges remain the same for both services.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-unnamed.png
Tushar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 10:10   #606
BHPian

I caught this news report on the web. Delhi Government will probably seek blocking of Uber’s website. News report indicates it was the Delhi High Court which suggested about the ban.

From what I have read about Uber’s operating model, it does not itself run cabs anywhere. It aggregates. It is a platform. A facilitator.

Website blocking will have pan India implication for Uber. It will be interesting to see what Uber will do now for a geography which it has projected as having tremendous potential.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/46362285.cms
Old 25th February 2015, 10:57   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Innova is an SUV?!

Innova and Aria should be default options for Uber Black. At least in Chennai, most of the existing Uber Black fleet is Innova.

If the idea was to enable people to choose a 5+ Seater Only then, call it UberXL or Uber+. Calling it Uber SUV and sending an Innova is just testing our intelligence.
Old 25th February 2015, 13:54   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Innova is an SUV?!

Innova and Aria should be default options for Uber Black. At least in Chennai, most of the existing Uber Black fleet is Innova.

If the idea was to enable people to choose a 5+ Seater Only then, call it UberXL or Uber+. Calling it Uber SUV and sending an Innova is just testing our intelligence.
actually it'd be better if they used something a grade higher than indigo / swift dzire .. for example honda city or hyundai verna
Old 25th February 2015, 14:15   #609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Since you brought this up... don't miss the graphic that was included in their newsletter announcement

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-ubersuv-capture.png

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2015 at 15:14. Reason: Replacing with a more obvious pic
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 15:03   #610
Team-BHP Support

Last Friday, Bangalore Airport was chock a block with lots of passengers arriving and leaving coupled with airshow traffic. This led to a lot of phone traffic.

I got a Uber easily but the poor driver could not activate his journey. He kept trying and only could do so before the toll booth. He must have lost Rs 100 or so in the upto there. I paid him extra even though he took it reluctantly.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 14:26   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Rehaan - They put a sedan on the UberSUV newsletter?! Who approves such content? :(

Meanwhile UberGO is Rs.8/Km in Chennai.

My Fiesta Petrol does about 8.5 KmpL which is about Rs.7/Km.

Considering that Malls charge around Rs.100 for parking in weekends, plus the hassle of driving in traffic and finding parking spaces, I'll be happy to be driven in an Uber to malls than drive

Last edited by kiku007 : 28th February 2015 at 14:29.
Old 12th March 2015, 15:04   #612
Team-BHP Support

In terms of "technology based solutions" -- Uber seems to have now added "Navigation" as an option for drivers:

Review: Uber Premium Taxi Service-ubimg_20150311_014648.jpg

I wonder if it also gives them this option to reach the customer's pick-up location?
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:17   #613
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled on 10 little-known facts about Uber & sharing - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...l/41601794.cms
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:31   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Stumbled on 10 little-known facts about Uber & sharing - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...l/41601794.cms
Article is dated 30-Sep-2014. A lot of the info there is obsolete. Points 7,8 and 9 for instance. Uber has withdrawn credit card service in India following RBI's insistence on 2-factor authentication and now operates purely on a prepaid model. I don't know about "foreign exchange remittances" so will let that point pass. Uber is certainly *not* the "most pricey ride" you can get and they don't have a 200/- minimum billing as claimed by the piece. I have paid as little as 121/- myself.

I think members are better served reading this thread and its frequent and accurate updates rather than the Times of India whose articles are often..shall we say..."dictated by commercial interests"
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:37   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I don't know about "foreign exchange remittances" so will let that point pass
^^^ Is the primary reason to have shared the article; though dated old, would like to understand how far this is true through folks who've better knowledge on this.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks