Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How frequently do you hit the highway?
More than once a month 125 29.62%
Once a month 75 17.77%
Once in 2 months 64 15.17%
Once in 3 months 58 13.74%
Damn, I really need to get out more often (Once in 4 or more months) 100 23.70%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 08:04   #61
BHPian

Re: How frequently do you hit the Highway?

Voted more than once a month. I have atleast 1-2 trips to my hometown (Gurgaon - Moradabad) in a month. Last month i had 3 trips to moradabad, 1 to Jaipur and 1 to Haldwani. So overall i drove almost 2300 kms on highways.
Old 28th August 2015, 01:11   #62
BANNED

More than once a month.

My work allows me to take off weekdays. I find weekends the most crowded. Roads and the standard holiday places are jammed with Tourists. Hotels are impossible to come by.

It's mostly with my "gang". There are 2 other buddies who usually join. Since we're all teetotalers with iron bellies we manage to cover a lot of road before we need to halt.

Food is of least concern as I carry a portable stove and we can pretty much survive on noodles and MTR ready mixes. Though we always stop at interesting rural eateries. Over time some eateries and dhabha's have become standard stops for us.

Off late it's been with my kids only. They're a bit picky about keeping the AC on or avoiding leeches. So far the school accepts that our grandfather and other uncles fall ill during weekdays.

Everyone in my family has been "married" off twice. Hopefully the teachers don't retain the previous years leave notes.

Sadly the home minister is not of the same frame of mind. She prefers weekends and insists on staying at well reviewed and therefore jam packed hotels only.

I've often been tempted to send her by flight and me and kids leave a day before to whichever place. But haven't had the courage so far.
hangover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 11:42   #63

I take 3-4 long trips every year, involving usually more that 2000 kms of driving. Having a Civic limits the places I can drive to. Otherwise my bike is what I rely on. Last executed plan was a 2-day drive from Bangalore to Ranchi in my friend's Palio 1.6; then riding to Bhutan on our bikes(RE Continental GT and Pulsar 200 NS) for a weeklong ride. Next trip would probably be Sikkim.Or I may decide to cover Rajasthan and Gujrat in the winter in my Civvy.

Other than that, I usually end up driving to Ranchi(through the magnificent Patratu Valley, no less), Jamshedpur or Bokaro pretty much every weekend.
Vivek VS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 09:23   #64
BHPian

In 2014, used to go on a long drive once every month. Each long drive was over 800 kms one way.

I sorely miss it now.
I can blame it on age but I will be honest. It's my wife. Let's just say, she is not absurdly thrilled when I bring up the topic of long drives.

I drive, getting lost in the maze of my own mind
Old 19th March 2016, 12:56   #65
NPX
BHPian

More than once a month.
With Delhi and Chandigarh on either side just 2 hours away on an awesome NH1 having great eating points at murthal, Karnal & Ambala and on top of that friends and family living in both Delhi NCR and Chandigarh, it is just irresistible.
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:22   #66
BHPian

I voted for once in 3 months,
My frequency of highway travel has increased considerably from earlier in last 2 years. Switching to a Diesel Car has definitely increased my Highway runs.
This year till now - I have done 3 runs ~ 450 kms (Pune to Kolhapur and back). 2 runs ~ 850 to 900 kms (Pune to Hubli and Back).
Last year again there were lot of Pune-Kolhapur trips, Also went on a Pune-Rajasthan+Agra road trip which was about 3500 kms,

Last edited by Hemant_Joshi : 22nd April 2016 at 12:25.
Old 17th March 2018, 12:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Voted for more than once a month.

I do Anand to Vapi(300km) & Anand to Udaipur (321Km) twice in a month. My hometown Anand is located in Gujarat's famous industrial belt (Abu road to Vapi). Moreover, Anand is exactly at the centre point between two big cities Ahmedabad and Vadodara. My residence is just 1.5 Kms far from NH 48, So Highway is practically a second home for me.
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:45   #68
BHPian

Well, for me its very difficult to get time from work and national holidays or festivals are the only respites.

Heck, I am very poor in convincing my boss for a mid week leave (he believes this is the time when his entire team is to be present) in as much as convincing wifey for an outstation tour during festivals (she believes it is inauspicious to lock house during festivals ).

Eventually, I end up on a highway trip only during national holidays or a scheduled long journey.

Voted for once in 3 months.
Old 21st July 2019, 10:16   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*Poll added to the thread* - How frequently do you hit the highway? Head out on a road-trip, however short?
Can't change my vote, but can add it here. For me, it's now 3 - 4 times a month. Every weekend, I'm out on a road-trip . Reason = Test-drive cars. Earlier in July, I spent a weekend in Nashik with the Venue. This weekend, it is in Pune with the Hector. I go to Lonavla more often than people go to a mall! Every car that we review, I now take out for a long drive (most memorable recent ones being the M5 & E63 ).

Next weekend, I'm taking another car out for a long drive (won't tell you which one yet). There is simply no better way to deeply understand a car than to take it out for a multi-day trip.

On the downside, because of all the test-drive cars that I have to drive & put 500 km on, my 530d is craving a highway run.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 10:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This weekend, it is in Pune with the Hector. I go to Lonavla more often than people go to a mall! .
So you will pen the review of Hector, I am looking forward to know your experience of driving Hector. Since I often travel to Mysore and CR Nagar these days, the last 5000 kms has been on Bangalore - Mysore highway. About 90% of the odo reading on my Duster has been on highways.

Last edited by deehunk : 21st July 2019 at 10:57.
Old 21st July 2019, 10:56   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

I drive on NH48 6 days a week, and encounter some of the worst traffic there - wrong side wolfs, trucks in the right and middle lanes, and impatient drivers behind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks