Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2015, 14:34   #46
BANNED

re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Mod Note: Post deleted. Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th May 2015 at 14:47.
Old 13th May 2015, 14:51   #47
BHPian

re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
The cop has been sacked already (which is too much IMO, suspension would have been OK along with a course of anger management). One must understand that the police force is stretched thin to support a vast country like ours. This is not to give excuse for his behavior but the trial by media seems to have gone too far.
I have agreed with you on the media aspect. I don't want to comment on the severity of the action as that is an internal discipline matter for the police to decide. This whole incident has no connection with the police being stretched thin, it is about basic behaviour, not about their reach.

Quote:
I was very happy to read the balanced views on this thread last couple of days, where the misdemeanours committed by the lady concerned were equally highlighted, while the rest of the media goes on ranting about the cop's behaviour only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
In this case, she might not be an accused yet, but throwing a brick on a police vehicle is not exactly a work of a law-abiding citizen even discounting the fact that she had broken two before this episode.
I agree with you...

Quote:
I entirely support the view that citizens have to behave and follow rules or be disciplined, and in this case the lady concerned should be made to face the consequences of her actions.
But I still do not find this as justification for the cop's action.
Old 13th May 2015, 14:52   #48
BHPian

Wow amazing article and judgement. Looks like India will become synonymous for justice the way China is for look alikes😝.
Getting bribe or not,it's not lawful to obstruct duties of a policeman nor hit him when in duty. By the way, will or was any action taken on the woman for multiple tragic law infringements?
Old 13th May 2015, 14:58   #49
Team-BHP Support

The woman (I refuse to call her lady) in question is lucky she is in India. In US she would have been shot dead and the cop would not even face suspension. Here he lost his job for throwing the brick back.

Just look at the list of people shot dead in the first 10 days of this month in US.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 15:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Sorry but violence against violence is not an answer. He is taught to react to such situations. He is there to protect the public and that includes that lady. Even if he is getting hit with a brick, he is suppose to restrain her and stop her from causing more harm to herself and others.
What will you do if a lady is trying to hit you with a knife or worse shoot you? Get real, violence is all around us, its foolish to expect the opposite person to exercise restraint when you initiate the violence.

Quote:
@Lalvaz - Heat of the moment is not an excuse. You think you will hit your mom or wife at the heat o the moment?
Wrong analogy. Don't tell me you have never heard of domestic violence. Happens all the time in the real world.

Quote:
Thats not a mother, thats a crazy lady.
I dont know enough to comment on her sanity, but better restraint on both sides would have helped.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st May 2015 at 16:10. Reason: Unnecessary sarcasm
Old 13th May 2015, 15:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The woman (I refuse to call her lady) in question is lucky she is in India. In US she would have been shot dead and the cop would not even face suspension. Here he lost his job for throwing the brick back.

Just look at the list of people shot dead in the first 10 days of this month in US.
Good link.
But I dont think she would have been shot dead for throwing a brick at Police car. Its a hypothetical to bring in situations from U.S.

Coming to this situation, its very immature for a law enforcement person to hit back with a brick. Its silly too. There was no danger posed by the lady and he had the power to penalize according to the law.
Old 13th May 2015, 15:31   #52
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Good link.
But I dont think she would have been shot dead for throwing a brick at Police car. Its a hypothetical to bring in situations from U.S.

Coming to this situation, its very immature for a law enforcement person to hit back with a brick. Its silly too. There was no danger posed by the lady and he had the power to penalize according to the law.
I do believe the US example is relevant here. We as a country are in its current lawless state precisely because there is no respect for law and law-enforcement entities.

If the exact same scenario would have happened in US (brick thrown at a police officer), I am pretty sure, the women would have been shot (not necessarily shot dead). I have seen guns been drawn with even a hint of impending violence. Here the woman has ALREADY resorted to violence.

I do believe that the policeman throwing the brick back was unfortunate. In my opinion, he should have called for proper backup and just arrested the woman for assaulting a govt servant on duty.

Last edited by SDP : 13th May 2015 at 15:38.
SDP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 15:41   #53
BHPian

Friends. I am finding it shocking that many people are somehow trying to justify what the policeman did. The lady might have broken the law, refused to pay the fine (or was it a bribe) and thrown a brick on police officer's bike. However, a police officer cannot assault a woman like that. The way he threw the brick, it could have even damaged her spine. I am not a law expert but offences by woman were breaking traffic rules (minor offence), refusing to pay fine (minor offence if it was not a bribe that the policeman was asking as we all know how our traffic cops are), damaging government property (minor offence). The fines and jail time for these offences would be very less IMO. However, police officer hitting a lady dangerously with a brick can be considered as assault to attempt to murder. Committing such a crime by on duty policeman is double the offence. There is a difference between a normal person breaking the law and law keeper breaking the law. Having stress, getting angry etc. is no excuse for committing a severe crime wearing police uniform.
Old 13th May 2015, 15:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Now High Court intervenes in the matter. Hope the guy gets his job back after a suspension without pay.

Link below says that the policeman offered to give a receipt contrary to the woman's version (not verified yet).
NDTV

Quote:
Sources said that the Delhi Police is stretched far too thin with long shifts and would benefit greatly from counselling sessions.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 13th May 2015 at 15:54.
Old 13th May 2015, 15:57   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the way the judiciary system of our country is working this comes as no surprise. People can kill a human being in this country and still go about doing their normal business. So now the lady in question being portrayed as the new face of anti corruption and the cop being sacked is nothing new.

However, the cop shouldn't have retaliated by throwing a brick at her. The brick hit her on the back and good have caused serious injuries. He should have just noted down her registration number (as she was in no mood to stop and answer the cop) and filed a complain.

We men need to respect women always, irrespective of their dumb behavior at times
Old 13th May 2015, 16:10   #56
BHPian

Re: Woman & traffic cop throw a brick at each other, cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
1. This woman broke the law by having 3 other people on her scooter.
2. This woman did not have any license or registration on her.
3. This woman broke the law by jumping the traffic light.
4. This woman obstructed an officer of the law towards discharging his duties
5. This woman ignored the warnings of a traffic cop and tried to drive away.
6. When the cop tried to stop this woman, she acted in a criminal manner by throwing a brick at a traffic cop.
7. The cop was suspended for throwing the brick back at her. No action against this criminal woman.

Brilliant!!!

What else you can expect from India. In India, Lady is always the hero and men are the villans. Which is a shame. I wish people were more sensible. The cop was doing his duty, and he was punished for doing his duty.

Ladega India, tabhi toh badhega India.
Old 13th May 2015, 16:18   #57
Senior - BHPian

Re: Woman & traffic cop throw a brick at each other, cop sacked

Quote:

Though you seem to be stating just a fact - I feel you are endorsing what the US is doing. I dont think a trigger happy Police force is good for democracy. But since I do not have an understanding of how US police works, I can't make an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingHart View Post
The cop was doing his duty, and he was punished for doing his duty.
Which part of a police job description says that he can throw bricks at the general public? Can you recheck why he was punished?

Last edited by mallumowgli : 13th May 2015 at 16:23.
Old 13th May 2015, 16:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

We are missing a crucial link in all these discussions. The media and the vitriolic anchors who routinely pass judgments mostly at 9PM. They form the opinions for the day, they will pronounce who is guilty and who is innocent and they will announce punishments too. They also exhort gullible public to break law since some neta is doing the same. Two English channels specially have crossed all boundaries now.
Old 13th May 2015, 16:48   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe. Or maybe not. Here's another link from the same source (this list is supposedly an incomplete one):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Anyway, I don't know enough of the US position to comment on what would be the possible outcome in this hypothetical scenario.
Old 13th May 2015, 16:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I do believe the US example is relevant here. We as a country are in its current lawless state precisely because there is no respect for law and law-enforcement entities.

If the exact same scenario would have happened in US (brick thrown at a police officer), I am pretty sure, the women would have been shot (not necessarily shot dead). I have seen guns been drawn with even a hint of impending violence. Here the woman has ALREADY resorted to violence.

I do believe that the policeman throwing the brick back was unfortunate. In my opinion, he should have called for proper backup and just arrested the woman for assaulting a govt servant on duty.
If Police keep shooting at people throwing stones (even at them) we would have hundreds of deaths everyday in India. Agree with your last para on arresting the woman.

I am not sure Police in U.S could be used as ideal either looking at so many incidents that in the recent past.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks