Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2015, 07:21   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Spotted these gentlemen in kurta-pyjamas and high-visibility belts, with white batons in hand, at multiple places.
These are volunteers of the Radhasoami community managing traffic ,guiding community members to parking. This is a common practice followed during big satsangs, there are multiple branches in Delhi/NCR hence these volunteers can be spotted at various locations in the city.
Old 15th May 2015, 07:50   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
These are volunteers of the Radhasoami community managing traffic ,guiding community members to parking.
Nope, they were seen trying to manage traffic in general, such as arm gestures to stop cars when the light turned red, or challenging vehicles that crossed the stop line on red. Radhasoami volunteers don't do that.
Old 15th May 2015, 08:16   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Nope, they were seen trying to manage traffic in general, such as arm gestures to stop cars when the light turned red, or challenging vehicles that crossed the stop line on red. Radhasoami volunteers don't do that.
OT :

Sir, I come from the same community. I myself have been a part of this , that is our traditional dress. As a volunteer it is my duty to direct the members to the parking or the hall. Some volunteers take their job too seriously sir
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 08:22   #109
BHPian

Re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Should we be discussing this? We're a forum, so probably we should/can? But what should be the scope of the discussion? We're only seeing what we've been shown. So is it the complete story?

We can see the car approaching the scene before he started recording the video. Other than the woman and the officer we have other people around. Do we have their views or witness accounts? Is the woman sent a notice as requested by her?
I can see the officer is on a bike. Did he chase the lady after she jumped the signal? I heard notices are sent to the address in Delhi. Then why was he so interested in challaning her there itself?

Of all things I can clearly see a lack of empathy . Probably that'd be a lesson we can take away from this incident. What should we do in such a case? If this was not recorded would we have become aware of this?

Interestingly the signature of @shashanka syncs with the current situation.
Old 15th May 2015, 09:15   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
PS: OT but it saddens me to see people carrying kids on their two wheeler and giving no thought to the traffic rules - driving on wrong sides, breaking signals, etc, because kids learn what they see. I see it everyday here in Pune and I am sure it happens everywhere else in India. This is how the next gen is being groomed as far as traffic rules/driving sense is concerned
Hi,
I am not supporting of what happened and reaction by either side, I intend to share only a practical situation:
- Lady in the house has two kids, one being young stays at home / goes to play school, another little older goes to proper school.
-In many cases, the lady has the responsibility to bring the kid home:
A) She send the elder one through school transport
B) She manages on her own

In case B, if there is a car (which happens in less than 5% of cases in many cities with lower middle class homes, life is batter and three persons can travel together i.e. lady with 2 kids), many times I have seen people managing on two wheelers; they can't leave the baby at home.

- Breaking law by having more than 2 persons on a two wheeler is inevitable in this case

- Yet Jumping stop signal was wrong and then getting into physical assault by either parties was worst

The society as well as law makers have to look at practical conditions on how people earn livelihood and manage their lives.

Mods: If such a representation is incorrect, please feel free to delete the post.

Lets obey laws and make them with full responsibility !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Now I'm not at all sure what happened in the above case as it's the cop's word against the lady's, but I'm sure of what the cop could've done. He could've let the lady escape, noted the regn number down & sent a fine via the government, or he could've taken out the vehicle key in anticipation of attempt to escape.

Source : http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/d.../1/437635.html
As per law, taking out keys from vehicle will put the constable in trouble. Its falls under the charges of theft / burglary / forced control. The policeman will be summoned to police lines and will be slapped with heavy penalties including loosing seniority - this will happen simply on the basis of complaint against the person, if it is taken in the courts, the person can even be dismissed from service.

Only armed forces have such authorities say in J & K.
For police, there are no such authorities except impounding vehicles in case of accidents/ underage or without RC or DL / RTO - state entry tax issues / commercial use of private vehicle / carrying hazardous goods as listed by CMVR etc. In this kind of situation:
A. A constable has no authority
B. A simple violation ticket / confiscating driving license against receipt are the only options.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th May 2015 at 09:48. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 15th May 2015, 11:46   #111
BHPian

Lady throws brick at the cop's bike and then he retaliates throwing the brick at the lady.

Their action says a lot about their education and upbringing.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Lady throws brick at the cop's bike and then he retaliates throwing the brick at the lady.

Their action says a lot about their education and upbringing.
Education has nothing to do with it, I've seen a lot of educated folks getting into brawls too, and not every uneducated person gets into fights.

This was really a fracas due to frayed tempers, lets not read too much into this.
Old 15th May 2015, 12:59   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
This was really a fracas due to frayed tempers, lets not read too much into this.
While I somewhat agree that even educated people get into fights but hurling a brick at a law enforcer in front of her kids!?

I don't think any educated lady would that.

Even if we leave aside education, it does tell a lot about a person's upbringing.
sinharishi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 14:51   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lady & Traffic cop throws bricks at each other. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Also, from what I understood, she did not refuse to pay the fine - she had asked for a receipt and when the cop refused & insisted on a bribe is when things got out of hand.
I don't know how many times this might have been said in seven pages, but my newspaper (as good, bad or indifferent as any other news source, I guess) said that she demanded a challan and refused to pay a bribe.

Old 15th May 2015, 15:12   #115
BANNED

Gentlemen, I object to the term educated. They may be literate, but are definitely not educated. Give a thought to what I have said. The two terms are not interchangeable.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 16:52   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
What kind of patronizingly sexist attitude is that? A cop on duty was attacked. That much is fact.

His reaction was over-the-top, sure, and he got penalised for it. The guy has been dismissed from service and criminal charges have been charged. That's the extent of the law.

But should he have *not* reacted just because the aggressor was a woman? It's not an exact parallel but would an American cop not used force in a similar situation regardless of the gender of the aggressor?

This attitude I feel is the root cause of a lot of woman's issues in this country. Either we are blatantly oppressive or cloyingly patronizing. Notice the clamour for "women's protection" every time a rape or assault is reported, rather than focusing on women's freedom which is at the root of the issue. Of course safety on our streets is an important concept and the more vulnerable of us deserve that protection. But that's not the core issue and we know it!
I never said that the cop should not have reacted. I said he should have reacted in a different manner. Talking about the US, we all know what has happened recently regarding the brutal police killings at various places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
1. This woman broke the law by having 3 other people on her scooter.
2. This woman did not have any license or registration on her.
3. This woman broke the law by jumping the traffic light.
4. This woman obstructed an officer of the law towards discharging his duties
5. This woman ignored the warnings of a traffic cop and tried to drive away.
6. When the cop tried to stop this woman, she acted in a criminal manner by throwing a brick at a traffic cop.
7. The cop was suspended for throwing the brick back at her. No action against this criminal woman.

Brilliant!!!
If you watch the video, you will find that both the lady & the cop had bricks in their hands at the same time. The lady first threw the brick at the cop's bike whereas the cop threw it at her. So there is nothing brilliant in the way the cop reacted.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th May 2015 at 17:34. Reason: Consecutive posts merged. Please use the edit button to add/edit your posts within the 30 min. window. Thanks!
Old 15th May 2015, 17:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Gentlemen, I object to the term educated. They may be literate, but are definitely not educated. Give a thought to what I have said. The two terms are not interchangeable.
I guess both of them were uneducated in this particular case.
Old 15th May 2015, 19:54   #118
Senior - BHPian

It is disappointing to see how low our manners and sensibilities as a society have fallen. The woman in question has no right to throw a brick, even at the bike if not the policeman, especially when she is at fault of breaking a signal, riding 3 up and not wearing a helmet (not that obeying all rules gives one the right to chuck a stone at anyone).
The policeman too could have toned down his response and ensured that he not only challaned her but also added assaulting an officer on duty to her list of offenses, thereby ensuring a solid jail term.
On a related note: The woman is lucky she is not in US, where in the officer would not hesitate to shoot her down, citing threat to life etc
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 21:59   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The woman is lucky she is not in US, where in the officer would not hesitate to shoot her down, citing threat to life etc
Not to mention driving while being brown.

In another universe, the woman was arrested for traffic offences and threatening a policeman, and the cop is still at work.

One thing I wonder... If a policeman has to restrain a woman, that could put him in a difficult position re physical contact and possible allegations. There must be a protocol?
Old 15th May 2015, 23:03   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
.......If a policeman has to restrain a woman, that could put him in a difficult position re physical contact and possible allegations. There must be a protocol?
That's where it gets tricky. It's easy for us armchair experts to say the policeman should have followed proper protocol, but we can't turn a blind eye to the ground reality of actually doing it.

Physically engaging/restraining a female offender mandates a lady constable's presence which is usually not the case at most places unless pre-arranged, plus the traffic constable hardly has any jurisdictional powers except issuing a ticket anyway.

The constable behaved despicably (so did the woman), but his only other option was to bear the errant female's tantrum and violence meekly and let her go after noting down the scooter's reg#. Physically restraining the offender would've caused a multitude of allegations, as you mention.

He's still a human underneath the uniform, and an extremely frustrated one for various reasons. Apportioning blame notwithstanding, this could've ended a lot worse than it did. I hope the kids have more sense when they grow up instead of following their mother's example.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks