Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2015, 20:06   #76
BHPian

re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
...Delhi needs citizens like you. So says Delhi's Chief Minister to the lady...
I support this man! The next time I vote, I'm gonna tie it to a brick and throw it at his window. He's a hero and he deserves to know it!
Tassem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 20:11   #77
BHPian

re: Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked

Delhi HC takes cognizance of road rage cases, appoints amicus curiae to examine police conduct. The amicus curiae has been asked to examine the reason behind the increase in such cases. The decision was taken after a PIL was filed about general situation of road rage and conduct of police. The PIL also cites the recent incident of a traffic police officer assaulting a woman in Delhi.
While the police officer has been dismissed from service, the HC also came down heavily on the woman saying that she altered her version of events to become a TV star.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/delhi-hc-...361-3-244.html

Last edited by jfxavier : 13th May 2015 at 20:16.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 20:30   #78
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand3553 View Post
...But the difference between the two is that the constable is the one responsible for upholding the law of our country. He should have handled the situation better, he simply made a mockery of the police force by retaliating like a thug.
Which law are we talking about exactly? Isn't there a law which says that you can not assault another human being? Isn't there a law which states that if attacked, one has a right to self-defense?

"Retaliating like a thug"? Really?
When police encounter unruly individuals/crowd, they have a right to use appropriate and adequate force. Ever seen police doing a lathi-charge on a mob which has become unruly/violent? In principal, how is that situation different than what happened in Delhi? Lathi-charge, water-cannon, smoke grenades, firing in air and if nothing else works (or the gravity of the situation demands it) firing at miscreants. All of that is perfectly within legal boundaries. I am expecting a few to now argue that "brick is not allowed". Should the policeman have used a "lathi" instead?

Quote:
I work in the IT industry. If I imagine a similar situation in my work, what would happen if I abuse my client verbally because he did the same to me? I would sure be jobless the next day because I am supposed to be respectful to the client while on official duty no matter what. I signed up for that. I cannot defend myself saying that I worked 18 hours a day for the entire month and I was stressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Let's not compare apple to orange.
Apples to oranges?
This is more like comparing apples to bricks.

Last edited by SDP : 13th May 2015 at 20:34.
SDP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 20:42   #79
Senior - BHPian

If an offender refuses to pay fine or behave rudely, policemen have legal actions prescribed in the law. Hence, in no case, the policeman should have attacked the offender by throwing a brick.

I think that the cops surely won't let the offender go without legal action.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th May 2015 at 22:25. Reason: Please keep political discussions off the forum! They are against the rules. Thanks!
Old 13th May 2015, 21:58   #80
BHPian

If only we are truly educated such a thing would not have happened. Before we comment lets make a pledge that we will not jump signals, will not have more than three persons on two wheels and not throw bricks.

And all the cops reading this, (those who can read this and understand) please ask lower subordinates to refrain from such behavior. It just shows all of you in bad light.

maybe the lady was color blind with her friends grandpa in between her and a friend and was rushing to a hospital.

The whole issue started with jumping the red.

What samurai meant was, there are limited powers to a head constable. And a head constable is not an officer!

We do seem to be the most qualified but uneducated lot?

------
Are they going to auction that brick? For all we know it might become the anti corruption brick!

Last edited by Eddy : 13th May 2015 at 22:38.
Old 13th May 2015, 22:29   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Now High Court intervenes in the matter. Hope the guy gets his job back after a suspension without pay.

Link below says that the policeman offered to give a receipt contrary to the woman's version (not verified yet).
NDTV

https://delhitrafficpolice.nic.in/pu...affic-offence/

If 200 rupees was indeed the amount in question, it probably was a bribe expectation. There is no prescribed fine of 100 rupees as per the list above.

This ACP Ahlawat slapping the girl, or, another SHO advising "Obama ko complain karo"...Delhi police has lot many feats on tape...by the people, for the people . A quick youtube will reveal many more.

Last edited by noopster : 14th May 2015 at 11:12. Reason: Refer your PM
Old 13th May 2015, 22:54   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
...the HC also came down heavily on the woman...
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/delhi-hc-...361-3-244.html
I am so glad that the High Court did that.
Old 14th May 2015, 01:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, the cop at the day is a human being and not an I robot. Trying to destroy public property or harm a public servant is a crime in any law of book. Why do you think Bus drivers when they have an accident, they never get out of the bus. Its their Suraksha Chakra, if you did get into the bus and hammer him, be assured you will be slapped with long list of charges.

The lady is totally at fault here. Not saying the cop is not, but every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 09:46   #84
BANNED

The audio puts the whole thing into a slightly different light. The altercation was two sided, but the cop had no business to hit her with a brick.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 10:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

Cop is not a normal human being. He is a professional. He is trained to defend and book people under law. Normal human beings cannot book others hence they retort to violence.

Really amusing that people think eye for an eye by law enforcement professionals is ok. Even our army who are trained to kill and not arrest don't do this.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 11:00   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Cop is not a normal human being. He is a professional. He is trained to defend and book people under law. Normal human beings cannot book others hence they retort to violence.

Really amusing that people think eye for an eye by law enforcement professionals is ok. Even our army who are trained to kill and not arrest don't do this.
The cop has been sacked (again I am not sure if the punishment meted out is completely in accordance with the rule). Now what about the woman.

She has broken her fair share of laws and attacked a policeman. Why is she being regarded as the face against corruption when she should have also been made an example of?

That is where this case has failed and trial by media has won.

Easy sitting inside the house and commenting that the police shouldn't have resorted to throwing the brick back but we all know how we would react if it happened to us. Evidence is in the Road rage confession thread where BHPians are proudly confessing their rage acts to the public.

That is one instance of someone spoiling your day while sitting in a A/C car waiting for traffic to clear. The policeman sees thousands like these on a daily basis and I wonder what snapped inside him.

Most folks here in Chennai are helpful and try their best to be civilized with the public. I think there should be a study on these behaviors and improvements should be done to make the policemen go about their job in a more efficient way while helping them cope with the stress as well.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 14th May 2015 at 11:01.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 11:02   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
When police encounter unruly individuals/crowd, they have a right to use appropriate and adequate force. Ever seen police doing a lathi-charge on a mob which has become unruly/violent? In principal, how is that situation different than what happened in Delhi? Lathi-charge, water-cannon, smoke grenades, firing in air and if nothing else works (or the gravity of the situation demands it) firing at miscreants. All of that is perfectly within legal boundaries. I am expecting a few to now argue that "brick is not allowed". Should the policeman have used a "lathi" instead?
You said it right - they have the right to use appropriate and adequate force. Throwing bricks at a person in retaliation is not one. Lathi charge, water cannon etc are last resort procedures and are done only on orders, and hence within legal boundaries. Throwing back bricks, using abusive language in retaliation etc are not within 'legal boundaries'

But looking at the whole scenario I do feel sorry for the policeman. I just hope the lady and the police receive punishments commensurate with the crime and no knee jerk reactions
Old 14th May 2015, 11:06   #88
BHPian

In the context of the Audio clip being released that contains a different angle, how and how much the woman abused the cop, and how he tried to maintain decorum by not reacting back initially. He was completely at the receiving end initially, post which perhaps something snapped in him and he retaliated. I would say, he was strongly provoked.

Also, nowhere has he asked for the 200 Rs bribe in this clip.
latentpotential is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 11:23   #89
BHPian

Just a question, if the lady was replaced by a labourer (no disrespect for dignity of labour, just the reality on how public servants respond) would there have been so much hue and cry in the media, the rights and wrongs discussed ? At most we would have called it excessive force and left it at that.

I am not sure how its in Delhi these days, in Chennai the cops know how to speak politely, though they use it depending on the situation. My experience was more or less similar even in NCR a decade back. In Chennai, I have been regularly stopped late nights for drunken driving checks, and in all instances they have been very polite, even when I was stopped for speeding and sunfilm. That does not make them angels either or me liking them. I am not sure what is the training provided to constables on handling such situations or for that matter even for discharging their duties in the correct manner. I have seen a few arrests in Chennai, and defn down want to pen it down here. Had they had the proper training then the arrests would have been more humane, and investigations would not depend on third degree methods.

But I am sure if a guy had thrown that stone, probably the public might have also joined in beating him up and god know what the charges would have added!! Also it does not justify the actions or the force used. With those suggesting noting the number and following up, I am not really sure its all tightly mapped to their current addresses.
Old 14th May 2015, 13:29   #90
BHPian

Lots of comments support the cop!

If you have ever been unfairly stopped by a cop, you'd understand what he was up to. Cops in India only collect hafta and this cop was looking for easy pickings. He did not expect the lady to fight back. When she refused to quietly pay up, the SOP of the hafta-cop is to ask for "License and Registration" and "confiscate" it, once confiscated, you'll have to run around the police station and possibly the court as the cops now have the upper hand. They'll be very creative and apply every rule against you.

If the cops were fair, I'd have no problem supporting this cop.

Here is what counts (according to me):
  • The cop should have tried to defuse the situation.
  • He deals with (such) people on a daily basis and should know how to handle this without getting violent
  • I doubt that the lady created a life-threatening or dangerous situation for others. He could have simply noted the registration number.
  • Cops and public officials have the entire machinery working in their favor to do their job. Instead, that machinery is misused. This requires a stringent deterrent - the cop should be booked for attempted murder and made an example of.
  • The lady did not hurt the cop and the risk to the cop was minimal, retaliating the way he did, proves he is unfit for the job.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks