Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 07:13   #16
BHPian

Another candidate for good idea, horrible implementation. Like they say the three most important factors for retail business success are location, location & location , for Government policy it ought to be implementation, implementation & implementation.
Old 23rd December 2016, 07:22   #17
BHPian

6 years back, i could drive to fc road Pune at 9 am and find a parking spot near vaishali. Mind you, It was a 2 way road back then. Pretty much the same story on JM Road.

Today, i see cars parked over night and all thru the day on FC road. PMC stopped pay and park and now the most irresponsible people get to park free while I can't buy a second car b'ca i have only 1 parking and don't want to inconvenience others.
We need paid parking plus an additional monthly fee for over night parking. Municipalities should use that money to develop multi storied paid parking in each area and transition to parking free roads.

Last edited by freedom : 23rd December 2016 at 07:26.
freedom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 08:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Do you have parking space?

Agree with you @freedom. While there could be no threat to existing owners except implementation of parking charges but over a period of time they will get in to new car / replacement cycle and things will start improving.

In the meanwhile new vehicle buyers should be able to keep congestion off the public roads.
Old 23rd December 2016, 08:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: High Court: Show parking space to own a car in Shimla

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
... I agree that there will be corruption, but things are slowly improving...
This "things are slowly improving" is a cruel untruth simply because there are SO MANY variables.

The only time that THAT argument is valid, is when corruption in govt departments becomes an exception rather than a norm. Now, when a department is given the arbitrary right to certify such things, along with loopholes to manipulate the workflow, then corruption is bound to exist.

Often it can be seen that it's more of these "flawed" workflows are designed to conveniently give scope for corruption (through arbitrary powers of "certification"), rather than the people themselves. The problem is at the top.

Anyway, let's see.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 08:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

You know - singapore has much the same law. And heavy surcharges and tolls to drive a car within the city limits.

On the other hand, LKY took the precaution of creating probably the world's best public transport network for a single city, before he put such rules in place.

Here, we have people intent on making [insert indian city here] the next singapore, and they just forget all the hard work that went in before such measures were adopted.
Old 23rd December 2016, 08:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You know - singapore has much the same law. And heavy surcharges and tolls to drive a car within the city limits. On the other hand, LKY took the precaution of creating probably the world's best public transport network for a single city. Here, we have people intent on making [insert indian city here] the next singapore, and they just forget all the hard work that went in before such measures were adopted.
Singapore is by and large a Draconian city, not that I disagree with such style of living for the most part.. but some part of me would be uncomfortable calling it a "home" so to speak.

And then we're on to the other extreme, a country devoid of laws and rules up until this point that has suddenly woken up from its stupor and is grabbing bits and pieces of rules and laws from here and there in a bid to get its name into the "global" elite country list. As you said and as we all know, the legal and physical infrastructure of the country is in shambles.. more so than ever.

Some pertinent questions to ask would be :

1) How to "prove" existence of a parking space? Would an RTO agent be present to measure and ensure that the said vehicle would fit in it? Would the space have to be registered in the development authority before buying a house? Also what happens if one "upgrades" the cars that won't fit in it?

2) What about the tenants who constitute 99% of the nuisance of unorganized parking? No disrespect to tenants per se, we've all been one at various points, disrespect to unorganized parking? Absolutely. What happens when they move around with their metal cans? Should they now find only homes with parking spaces and register it each time?

3) Is this part of the usual flurry of "proposed moves" which will be suggested and "leaked" into the press each month only to have nothing happen? We've seen hundreds come and go by now.

The move is good IF its implemented with an iron hand, much like they did sunfilms, or demonetization. I'd attack it more on these lines :

- One car per PAN+RTO registered home address allowed. If more than one car is registered on one PAN card or an existing home address then they've to prove parking, and also their car rates will go up due to congestion charges.

- Development authorities who do due diligence of a property to collect annual property taxes must also take into account vehicle parking/arrangement and put extra congestion charges should any property have a vehicle parked outside.

- Sub-4 meter cars should be taxed less by RTO (road tax) and above 4m should be taxed at a much higher bracket.

The goal is not to put an overnight stop to multiple car buying activities without parking, it is to curb and restrict their ability to do so. I'm not against big cars, but they do congest the roads far more than smaller cars do.. its not about banning anything, its about giving a choice. The choice to have a pocket-friendly, city-friendly vehicle or a premium vehicle at a higher cost. Parking infrastructure needs time to be built, ban outside parking in residential areas and enforce it strictly, put digital parking meters and enforce it strictly and more importantly, provide the space for parking in shopping and main road areas so that people do not have to sneak into residential lanes to haphazardly park their vehicles at.
Old 23rd December 2016, 09:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: High Court & Minister: Show parking space to own a car

You asked all the questions I just said "singapore" and left unasked

Thanks for asking them though.
Old 23rd December 2016, 09:18   #23
BHPian

I think Japan already has such a rule in place where in your can't buy a car unless you have a dedicated parking space for yourself and if you dont have one, buy one before getting a car.

For one, I see the builders would be running in to cash on this because as per law, you cannot sell a parking space which is something that is blatantly flouted. They might probably now start allocating (on paper) the same parking spot to 2-3 people just to show that the person has a parking. How this would be worked out in government office - the least spoken, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
PPS - Hopefully neighbors who've large land space find ways to make quick bucks
A neighbour already posted a message yesterday for renting out their parking space. Probably this was the trigger
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 09:21   #24
BHPian

Why not keep towing away cars parked on public roads and keep doing it till the whole lane/street is clear and people know there sure will be hassle/fine for wrong parking.
And why leave out bikes, auto rickshaw, tempo traveller etc. Feels like all laws are for middle class because they are the only ones who are law fearing if not law abiding.
Koramangala in Bangalore had a Govt paid parking few years back which now is closed. Simple solution - make it operational, five people an option to park and have a towing vehicle ready always or don't allow establishment to open up unless they show they have parking space.
Too many minds, too many solution with none being perfect, it all boils down to a fair sensible law and it's implementation.
KD007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:42   #25
BHPian

Re: High Court: Show parking space to own a car in Shimla

Quote:
In a bid to reduce urban congestion, Government of India is mulling new regulation which allow registration of new vehicles only after production of parking space availability certificate from authorities. This will cover the whole of India, not just Shimla. I did not find any other relevant thread, so posting here.

If true, then it will affect a lot of urban car owners/future buyers.
This was definitely the need of the hour!

Though this might be giving so many people the source of alternate revenue, for e.g. having a lease agreement to avail parking and etc (also to the implementing authorities ). However, as they say "taste of the pudding is in eating", similarly effectiveness and usefulness of this proposal would purely depend upon its implementation.

Got to wait and see, but in IMHO i would say that if properly implemented, this would be benefiting all of us.
yogeshbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
A neighbour already posted a message yesterday for renting out their parking space. Probably this was the trigger
I don't think renting of parking space will work, because renting is a temporary arrangement. What if the renter cancels it after registering the car? I don't think authorities will accept rented space. A long term lease of space may work. A lease term equal to or more than the registration validity of the vehicle will be fine.

I don't get the mentality of people buying cars and parking it in the road, especially the expensive ones. A person capable of buying a car that costs 5 lakhs or more is definitely rich enough to invest in space for parking.
Old 23rd December 2016, 15:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think renting of parking space will work, because renting is a temporary arrangement. What if the renter cancels it after registering the car? I don't think authorities will accept rented space. A long term lease of space may work. A lease term equal to or more than the registration validity of the vehicle will be fine.
As long as the law recognizes this as a valid instrument to gain possession, it cannot be denied / not accepted.

Quote:
I don't get the mentality of people buying cars and parking it in the road, especially the expensive ones. A person capable of buying a car that costs 5 lakhs or more is definitely rich enough to invest in space for parking.
I too agree. Any one for that matter needs to think about before purchasing a car, irrespective of the value of the car.

This is one prime reason why my father has not allowed me to get a new car, thus far.
yogeshbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Does this apply to commercial vehicles as well?Also why is this limited to 4 wheelers only?
Instead if government constructs muti-storey parking lots and puts monthly/yearly parking charges, people would readily pay them.

No one likes parking in open or on roads, most do so since they don't have a choice( I am only talking about personal vehicles ).

Without a really good public transport ( in terms of comfort/convenience/safety ) in most urban cities, this is an unfair move.

Last edited by silverado : 23rd December 2016 at 17:09.
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:26   #29
BHPian

Builders and promoters will be very happy. Currently a parking space in Metro cities is costlier than a A-segment or even B-segment car. With this rule implemented parking spaces will be sold at three or four times higher cost than the car. However, it is a good initiative. Existing car owners should also be taxed at a high rate for night parking on the roads.
Old 23rd December 2016, 19:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Even if this helps by 10% its good. People without parking spaces buying cars and then parking on the road, taking up PUBLIC space is a big pain. I regularly get into arguments with security guards outside buildings who try to prevent me from parking there because 'saab ka parking hai' and 'saab ka gaadi bas 5 minute mein aayega', etc. Also wrt the lane where my building is, our locality group had to fight very hard to clear one section of a garbage dump, encroachment, etc and now that space in the last few years has been occupied by taxis/rickshaws and private cars from nearby buildings and gaothans, rendering our efforts pretty much a waste. At the other end of the lane some buildings and houses had to give up some space for road widening but again its been taken over by parked cars and bikes. Isnt this unfair ?
Just because someone can afford something it doesnt mean that they should always be allowed to buy it.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks