Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2016, 13:51   #31
BHPian

Re: High Court & Minister: Show parking space to own a car

Just wondering, what if I buy a pre-owned car for every member in my family?

Will I still have to submit parking proof when transferring the vehicle? Haven't read through official proposal so pardon me for this naive question.

On another note, when we compare the rules with cities like Singapore or the ones in Japan, we should also consider the infrastructure (read public transport) available there. This rule implemented with no improvements in public transport is just again another insult to middle-class who are anyway milked the most. I would never prefer a car say in a city like Mumbai. However crowded the public transport is, its still existent and gets me to my destination fairly in time. In Pune, the situation is horrible.

Last edited by jagzrk : 25th December 2016 at 13:55.
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 14:01   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Transfer of pre-owned car does not add to vehicle population so ideally should not be covered. As is fifteen year old vehicles are going to be removed from roads. So if done properly this would start showing impact down the line
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 15:27   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Auto lobby will squish this for sure.
As it is with de monetization they are crying for sales!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 15:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
On another note, when we compare the rules with cities like Singapore or the ones in Japan, we should also consider the infrastructure (read public transport) available there. This rule implemented with no improvements in public transport is just again another insult to middle-class who are anyway milked the most. I would never prefer a car say in a city like Mumbai. However crowded the public transport is, its still existent and gets me to my destination fairly in time. In Pune, the situation is horrible.
Why would someone, who owns a car or plans to own one, would buy a house with no parking space? I agree that public transportation must improve, but this issue is regarding the mindset of a section of the car owners. They have gotten used to parking in the public space, so they prefer to continue it rather than investing in parking space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The carmakers will try to derail it for sure. But the condition of our urban roads are such that the authorities will be forced to take this measure now or in the near future. There is no two ways about it.

Quote:
Sir, a decent house costs 75 lac minimum in Pune. A pre-owned car 2-3 lacs. People like me will buy cars to take care of their limbs and have a safe transport option and live in rented accommodation till housing is within our reach. Also, the limbs which will be in place, thanks to my safe transport option will enable me to buy a house in near future considering what I've to pay for it.

I sincerely hope that makes sense.
But you will have to buy/rent a house anyway, right? So why not buy/rent a house with a parking space? Is it significantly more expensive?

PS: I am in no way being offensive. Just wanted a clarification.

Last edited by deerhunter : 25th December 2016 at 16:10.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 16:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Why would someone, who owns a car or plans to own one, would buy a house with no parking space?.
Sir, a decent house costs 75 lac minimum in Pune. A pre-owned car 2-3 lacs. People like me will buy cars to take care of their limbs and have a safe transport option and live in rented accommodation till housing is within our reach. Also, the limbs which will be in place, thanks to my safe transport option will enable me to buy a house in near future considering what I've to pay for it.

I sincerely hope that makes sense.
Old 25th December 2016, 17:34   #36
BHPian

@deerhunter

Nope, I never found what you said offensive. (My rant was actually targeted towards some decisions of this government and the real estate lobby). I have in fact rented an accommodation which has ample parking (even if I have 5+ vehicles). It cannot be considered expensive as the rent is hardly 1K (say 10-15%) higher but totally worth it. But yes, buying an accommodation with parking is significantly expensive and mostly more than the valuation of the car itself.

All I wanted to point out is that the rule is very silly to implement just by showing examples of developed cities. This government really needs to think of improving the public transport, and I mean improving by great strides. Only then such decisions will make sense.

Using my vehicle 28 kms x 2 everyday is not what I want, nor do I prefer doing it. Its a waste and an unnecessary expenditure on many parts, not just my own. But I'm doing it out of compulsion and there's no suitable replacement that I have.

Last edited by jagzrk : 25th December 2016 at 17:37.
Old 25th December 2016, 18:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
All I wanted to point out is that the rule is very silly to implement just by showing examples of developed cities. This government really needs to think of improving the public transport, and I mean improving by great strides. Only then such decisions will make sense.
I agree that improved public transportation will greatly reduce traffic congestion and parking issues. But even with all the improvements in public transportation, most of us will still maintain atleast one car. That can be for various reasons - love of cars, social status etc. So a great public transportation system will not prevent most Indians from buying cars. We may increasingly use public transport, but will still own atleast one car. And parking space for that car is needed.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 21:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I too guess so. The SIAM is ultra powerful. And yes, we need the auto industry to grow and now.

But I wonder how long the same can carry on. Are our cities not congested enough? Are our cities not polluted enough? I know Bangalore has a long way to go to reach Delhi pollution levels, and Mumbai vehicle density. But, where can Delhi and Mumbai go? Are there newer highs? Or are there other Chinese cities that are much more polluted? Do we want to go there?

History suggests that India has mostly gone with the flow. Yes, a few more kids will run into Asthma problems, a few more will run into hypertension and other problems. But the bigger populace still want the progress to continue. I don't know if we can afford a u-turn now, YET.

Will there be a de-monetisation like sea change that we will see in the near future? If it does, I know we will all be equally pleased
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 10:23   #39
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
“Roads have become parking lots in all cities as cars are parked on roads posing major traffic jam. I am thinking of bringing a scheme where we invite people to click pictures of cars parked in non-parking areas and traffic police will issue chaplains of Rs.1000. Of the money collected, the person who has posted the picture will get Rs.100 as reward”, Nitin Gadkari said.

When asked if it’s a possible solution, Gadkari said that the idea would be floated and all municipalities, offices and residential societies would be asked to get parking space.

Source:Soon, send a snap of a car parked wrongly and win Rs.100

Last edited by NPV : 6th January 2017 at 10:25.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 11:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Transfer of pre-owned car does not add to vehicle population so ideally should not be covered.
IMHO, that might not be the intent of the legislation as the purpose would be to avoid parking of vehicles (pre-owned or otherwise) on the road and also to avoid such parking which pose a hurdle to others.

On a larger view, this might be logical but this would defeat the entire purpose. But yes, the monitoring of this policy in terms of the sale of pre-owned car would be a big challenge.
Old 6th January 2017, 15:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wow. If this comes to fruition, we are going to see many jobless turned bounty hunters. I dont think offering reward is the right way to enforce regulations. It may set a bad precedent.
Old 6th January 2017, 15:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
That's a stupid policy by the govt. If I go to Jayanagar 4th block today and park near a house, I'll get a challan tomorrow?
Old 9th October 2017, 16:06   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Buying a car? Show parking space first in Karnataka

Quote:
The panel is eliciting suggestions from states to recommend changes in the legislation after it was passed in the Lok Sabha last year
Quote:
Transport experts welcomed the intention behind the move. They , however, said it'll be tough to implement the proposal since the transport department registers vehicles and municipal institutions handle parking.
link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th October 2017 at 16:07.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:14   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore:

From 2019, buy vehicle only if you have parking space.

Quote:
The transport department has decided to implement its earlier proposal to restrict registration of new vehicles in Bengaluru city limits if there’s no parking facility
Quote:
before taking such a harsh step, the department will launch an awareness drive for a year to persuade people to use public transport or go in for carpooling. After a year, the department will restrict vehicle registration.
Quote:
The proposed restrictions include banning registration of diesel vehicles and allowing new vehicles only if owners have parking space
ET

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st June 2018 at 10:16.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 11:07   #45
BHPian

To make it holistic, citizens should pay road tax only after government authorities show pothole free, well lit, adequately marked roads.

How is that for an idea?

Why aren't authorities thinking of ideas to provide parking spots (paid ones) to meet increasing car sales? Why not provide adequate infrastructure?

Why is it that the first approach is always to take the easiest route, also the most short sighted route?

Who will be responsible for scuttling the growth of auto industry (and consequent direct / indirect employment, tax collections in the form of excise and road tax)? What confidence will investors have to invest in India, when somebody wakes up at his own whim and fancy to put in rules?

Nobody will layout a clear cut road-map is it? Is it always a knee-jerk reaction?
OrangeCar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks