Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2016, 23:45   #631
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 3 from Nov 13th*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
So, it doesn't impact your travel planning in any manner. The commute manner is the same, just more convenient because people like us have been forced off the road.

Phase 3 has been scheduled tentatively for June July now? Again, 85% population is exempted, supposedly. This is becoming a royal pain in the authorized service station.
I share your pain brother!

Unfortunately, a majority of the people supporting the odd-even scheme are the ones who anyways do not drive cars to work -- use public transport, cabs, two wheelers, etc. Schemes like these only play to the masses. Our honorable CM is already lauding the second run and giving himself a pat on the back. Hard facts and figures are something no one will ever look into. Apparently HT interviewed 1000 respondents who according to them are supporting odd-even. Imagine 1000 out of the 200,000+ (The actual number will be definitely more) car owners who drive to work!!

Before odd-even is made permanent, I do hope it is for once tried without any exemptions. Let it include two wheelers for once. It will be interesting to see the support base then.

Also, with no diesel cabs being allowed in Delhi-NCR starting today, it will be interesting to see how this impacts the numerous office goers in Gurgaon and Noida.
Masda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 23:49   #632
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 3 from Nov 13th*

Any restriction for self drive rentals ? Or does this only apply to taxi cabs ? I have booked an Ecosport from Voler cars. Will be in NCR from May 5 th to 9 th.

Last edited by aswin ajith : 1st May 2016 at 23:58.
Old 2nd May 2016, 00:57   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
The sample size was 1000 for a city like Delhi, and especially when it impacts even the people living in adjoining states. On one hand such surveys are being published, on the other there are no news items lambasting the nonsensical scheme. Now I know why the ad budget was a whooping 500cr.

Nothing will change. This is a new brand of divisive politics. I'm sure they have enough proof to discontinue the scheme but they are still going ahead with it. So much so that the news of its becoming a permanent feature from Sep are doing rounds.

Let's say if congestion is to be solved, then why are cabs, taxis given a free run. So you are basically removing private cars from roads and bringing cabs in their place. I saw more cabs this time round and they were not necessarily registered in Delhi or even NCR.

They are forcing car owners to forego their cars and instead rely on autos and cabs, etc. Public transport is a sham and it is not going to change anytime soon, especially while travelling from adjoining cities to Delhi. So if you can afford a car then you can surely pay to work around this mess. And in the meantime, certain service providers are benefited which in turns benefits the govt.
Agreed!

I used to think that the media was free but, it seems like a propaganda machine for the govt!

Increase in sheer number of buses, without any sign of widening of our pathetic 2-3 lane Ring Road with major parts of those 2-3 lane being invaded by DMRC work, like a tumor are the main causes of congestion!

They'd have to be absolutely blind, to not be able to see that!

Apply odd-even to the biggest(size wise) causes of congestion(buses) as well as bikes, and see the knee jerk opinion change!

(a kid would know that due to the sheer diversity of ppl, one cannot generalize with a tiny sample size!)

EDIT - I think odd-even was started out with pollution control in mind.
Pollution control aspect of that failed miserably and suddenly the minister forgot all about that and began to focus on congestion!

Just today I read in the newspaper where the apex court was confused as to why all the means of 'curbing' pollution (odd-even, banning >2L Diesel vehicle registrations etc.) were not working at all!
- http://www.hindustantimes.com/delhi/...hMbPsGGGK.html

The spokesperson suddenly shifted focus away from odd-even!

Last edited by sohail99 : 2nd May 2016 at 01:10.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:24   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda View Post
I share your pain brother!

Unfortunately, a majority of the people supporting the odd-even scheme are the ones who anyways do not drive cars to work -- use public transport, cabs, two wheelers, etc. Schemes like these only play to the masses. Our honorable CM is already lauding the second run and giving himself a pat on the back. Hard facts and figures are something no one will ever look into. Apparently HT interviewed 1000 respondents who according to them are supporting odd-even. Imagine 1000 out of the 200,000+ (The actual number will be definitely more) car owners who drive to work!!
Ive seen even better splits in people who support this tripe, vs those who don't.
There was a video on FB yesterday, about this, basically a "ask the people". There was a couple, husband wife, of whom the husband was vehemently against it, while the wife was extremely happy, as it is so convenient, bla bla, low congestion(wasnt it pollution, ma'am?), etc.

That isnt where it ended, though. The interviewer asked them, how did you get here today?
She: I drove.
He: I came with her, I give the car to her when its the other day.
Int: But how does that work?
He: Oh, I lie down in the back seat.
SHe: See, its so easy!
Excellent!
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:09   #635
Senior - BHPian

So I was in Delhi, last week during the infamous odd-even raj.
I was surprised to see city buses plying without any crowd! *gasp*
At 9-930 am.
On the ITO bridge!

What's going on in Delhi these days?
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:10   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What's going on in Delhi these days?
Propaganda!

The govt. has to realize that moronic rules wouldn't be taken lying down for long. Most people have figured ways out of this, some legally, some not so.

For example, diesel cars are audaciously sporting CNG stickers now, there are ample 2-sided number plates. Not sure whether I posted about this but the 2-sided number plate and a rechargeable / AA battery powered screwdriver is being sold as a kit, imagine!

In fact if this was ever made permanent I would continue to contribute to congestion but taking Uber/Ola to office each of those days and if it gets on my nerves, maybe just buy a second car.

But there is one finding that I'm sure all will agree to. This time the congestion wasn't as less as we were expecting. Simply because people have resorted to legal/illegal alternatives and if this continues, even the 'reduce congestion' mantra wouldn't work.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 22:18   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
....because people have resorted to legal/illegal alternatives and if this continues, even the 'reduce congestion' mantra wouldn't work.
And if more people end up buying a second car out of frustration then Delhi will be far worse than from where it started. Delhi's population growth will ensure we will eventually get there. But the present govt. has only ensured that we'll get there a lot sooner!
Masda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:59   #638
Senior - BHPian

... and just for curiosity's sake.
What happens to out of Delhi vehicles?
Are they exempted?
If not, how will someone determine whether it is temporary entry or permanent entry?
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:29   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are they exempted?
If not, how will someone determine whether it is temporary entry or permanent entry?
For that Delhi govt is giving advertisements all over India (through national TV and other media) for Delhi's odd/even dates.
Old 3rd May 2016, 13:55   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... and just for curiosity's sake.
Are they exempted?
No private vehicle from across India was exempted (excluding the exception list of course). They simply were not supposed to enter Delhi on certain dates so even if anybody was just passing through, he could very well be challaned.
Old 19th October 2016, 17:03   #641
BHPian

Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) has announced that the odd-even scheme failed in curbing air pollution. In fact, as per them, it worsened during the scheme period.

Arvind Kejriwal's Odd-Even Failed, Air Quality Worsened, Green Panel Told

One inference that can be drawn from this can be either the scheme period was too small to make an impact, or else cars are NOT the major source of air pollution in Delhi.

Last edited by DriverR : 19th October 2016 at 17:04.
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 17:12   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
One inference that can be drawn from this can be either the scheme period was too small to make an impact, or else cars are NOT the major source of air pollution in Delhi.
The latter seems to be more sensible, and it is an argument that has been repeatedly presented on this forum and others.
The real killers are those commercial vehicles - trucks, buses, taxis; as well as ill maintained older vehicles spewing out tons of white gas.
Old 19th October 2016, 22:06   #643
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The latter seems to be more sensible, and it is an argument that has been repeatedly presented on this forum and others.
The real killers are those commercial vehicles - trucks, buses, taxis; as well as ill maintained older vehicles spewing out tons of white gas.
I can be pretty sure that at least 50% individuals-affected increased pollution during the odd-even scheme. Basically, most people did one of the three things, 1) took out their old abandoned two wheelers, 2) took out abandoned ill-maintained cars or borrowed an old spare car of a relative, 3) took Ola/ Uber cabs, most of which were still diesel at that time (that is the only reason there was no shortage, try an odd even now, and there'll be severe cab shortage).

It was propaganda, less traffic (till the time those off road where struggling to find alternatives to get to work) and the sadist pleasures of the people who are anyways forced to use the over-strained public transport.... which called the scheme a success.

As haze takes over Delhi this winters, the Govt. will yet again take that opportunity and try to do something to appease the majority and to distract attention from their performance otherwise.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 14:02   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
As haze takes over Delhi this winters, the Govt. will yet again take that opportunity and try to do something to appease the majority and to distract attention from their performance otherwise.
It seems your prediction was spot-on. With smog taking over Delhi, government is mulling over the option of bringing back odd-even.

What a sad state of affairs, despite knowing the know-how to avoid such circumstances, governments and bureaucracy are busy reinventing the wheel instead of taking concrete steps. Something as simple as fixing the timers on traffic lights will go a long way in promoting the habit of shutting off the engine at red light.
lordvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 15:13   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

So it's back, from November 13th onwards.
Time to charge up the ola wallet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks