Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2016, 23:15   #511
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Even better would be defining limits and exorbitant fines on violators and include stringent checks. Vehicle owners should be fined a minimum of 5000 bucks, fraudulent PUC issuers- 50000, construction sites not following dust controlling norms- done percent of project cost, burning leaves/garbage- some hefty amount. Many will fall in line if word spreads that people are actually being penalised.

As sgiitk sir mentioned, HGV specs need serious upgrading.

Whatever it is, the pollution needs to be controlled as son as possible. Our children will have very tough lives otherwise.
Stringent checks that impound vehicles rather than leave a scope for bribing and getting away. When coupled with strong emission standards and stringent lifecycle norms, the rules can control pollution. But I doubt that dust will still play spoilsport if the construction norms are left out of purview of control. Urgency cannot be denied but sensationalism such as odd/even without substantiation or research is also not a credible answer.
rahulsnh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 03:15   #512
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

I know these polls are not accurate or relied upon 100% but still, the number of yes's are twice the no's
http://m.timesofindia.com/city/delhi...n=TOIDelhiNews
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 08:34   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I know these polls are not accurate or relied upon 100% but still, the number of yes's are twice the no's
http://m.timesofindia.com/city/delhi...n=TOIDelhiNews
The title and the content in the body are at odds with each other. Sounds like >50% want this to end on or before deadline?
"Of the 31,547 people who voted, 14,493 agreed that the odd-even policy on Delhi's road should be extended beyond January 15. Another 9781 however felt citizens ought to be allowed to drive their cars every day before the two-week timeline lapsed. Only 7273 felt that the experiment should last only till January 15."

I think we should have a poll here on Team-bhp and only NCR members who experienced this real time get to vote - this will be a more intelligent vote in spite of a lesser sample size.

The odd-even policy was devised to reduce pollution significantly in a very quick time. What came up as a byproduct is decongestion of roads. People who voted yes, probably are voting for decongestion rather than pollution control. Pollution is a bigger evil and needs to be addressed first (and not get distracted). Delhi govt should have access to tons of data, resources, experts, authority and public backing. Not sure, what is stopping them from identifying big root causes based on data and implementing the real solutions like sgiitk, souranbhzen and others have mentioned in the above posts (please AK!, no excuses and Modi bashing and silly dharnas).

We never trust the regular political parties to be altruistic but sad to see AK and AAP letting down a great opportunity to redefine politics and how to run a state honestly and altruistically: I feel betrayed and in Caesar's words "You too, Brutus?"!

Last edited by chakri400 : 8th January 2016 at 08:46.
chakri400 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 10:01   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
I think we should have a poll here on Team-bhp and only NCR members who experienced this real time get to vote - this will be a more intelligent vote in spite of a lesser sample size.
Respectfully DISAGREE.

Yes, you may go ahead and have any number of Polls, but a Poll on T-BHP will not be representative of the true perception, of this policy, on the ground.

Reason - We are a forum of Automobile owners and enthusiasts, and the vast majority of us can't think of a life wherein our experiences with Automobiles are curtailed. That biases us, automatically, against such policies.

Conversely, if you were to Poll only the regular Metro Train commuters, on this policy, you would still end up with another biased, albeit diametrically opposite, view!

Last edited by roy_libran : 8th January 2016 at 10:05.
roy_libran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 10:04   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Respectfully ---------SNIP------ view!

And THAT would still be more than what the authorities did before landing us in this conundrum.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 10:24   #516
BANNED

Folks I was in the NCR till December 3, and the pollution was bad. I go for a walk at 6:00am and even at that time one could not breathe easily.

Ont thing instead of wasting our money on his silly ads how many bunks had AK challaned for selling adulterated Diesel. I bet the answer is ZERO.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 10:36   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Folks I was in the NCR till December 3, and the pollution was bad. I go for a walk at 6:00am and even at that time one could not breathe easily.

Ont thing instead of wasting our money on his silly ads how many bunks had AK challaned for selling adulterated Diesel. I bet the answer is ZERO.
During 1995-2000, I used to get burning sensation in my eyes whenever I come back from outstation trip. That situation improved drastically after Buses and Autos were changed to CNG and sale of 2-stroke two wheeler was banned.

For past one year or so the burning eyes feeling has started again and I don't see it going away for good.

On adulterated fuel part, Delhi pumps are far far better in terms of fuel quality than NCR towns like Gurgaon, Noida, Greater Noida and Faridabad.
I think the worst of pumps in Delhi will be at par with better pumps in Noida and Gurgaon. So the governments of neighboring states needs to take immediate actions if pollution situation in NCR has to improve.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 13:45   #518
BHPian

Well, the Government wants to extend the scheme beyond 15 days. This, despite, independent pollution watch agencies having mentioned that there is not much impact on reducing pollution. Yes, it does reduce the congestion by around 30%.

It is clear that the Government will try to mislead everyone by false advertising on radio and TV because it is unlikely to provide the actual data recorded off the Delhi Pollution control board's permanent sites. It wants to base its policy on the mobile pollution watch vehicles that record the pollution levels through hand-held devices.

Next 6 months may be pretty good for car dealers and manufactures in Delhi !!!

http://www.hindustantimes.com/cities...govt-tells-hc/
rdhawan15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 16:40   #519
BHPian

Just get CNG installed in the vehicle. Whether you use it or not.
BUXX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 17:53   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
This, despite, independent pollution watch agencies having mentioned that there is not much impact on reducing pollution.
Dhawan sir, can you please share the source of these reports? Would like to read their prognosis in detail. Many thanks!
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 10:11   #521
Senior - BHPian

now the nutcase brigade has started off retrofitting this scheme in Mumbai too. I am sure the taxi mafia is behind such ideas. http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/o...w/50490825.cms
Old 9th January 2016, 15:09   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Dhawan sir, can you please share the source of these reports? Would like to read their prognosis in detail. Many thanks!
These reports or the salient points therein are available to read in the print and web editions of Hindustan Times and Times of India. Please feel free to read them on these sites.
Old 9th January 2016, 15:47   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
These reports or the salient points therein are available to read in the print and web editions of Hindustan Times and Times of India. Please feel free to read them on these sites.

I beg to differ here sir, being a part of the team that is fighting the ongoing legal battle in Supreme Court relating to environmental degradation especially air quality in Delhi due to a whole host of reasons, I can assure you these reports are not correct and based on unintelligible criteria. I myself have researched deep into the subject and the one thing I can say is stats do not do complete justice to the situation. The time at which the levels are checked can for instance, be a very big factor is skewing data. The odd even rule IS working and resulting in its intended purpose slowly and steadily. I live near Rk Puram and that is one of the areas severely polluted due to congestion and traffic flow through Rao Tula ram road, seemingly the only road everyone uses to connect from outer ring road to chanakya puri and other parts of Delhi. The levels of pollution here have decreased not only in numbers but one can also feel cleaner air. I go for a run on the slip road adjacent to this normally congested road and trust me, I breathe better and cleaner air now compared to a week ago. Moreover, the problem with the odd even formula is infrastructural and consequentially, personal. With promises by the Delhi and central govt to allot space for more DTC depots, you will soon more than twice the number of buses, 11000 from the current 5000 to be exact. These are insights from the court proceedings and I can assure you that all three arms of the state are working in unison for this cause, or atleast that is my belief. Going tomorrow to buy a bicycle and will start cycling it to court!
zee_bat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 16:23   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

You may bat for the "air is cleaner" side all day. However, when even a small percentage of cars go off the road, there is bound to be cleaner air, not just owing to the numbers, but also because even a small number going off moves them off from the junctions, the side streets, the sidewalk. Basically a 10% at-home-crowd can give you smooth and free flow.
Good.
However, what has to be understood is a lot of people have adjusted owing to the short period of time this will be in play. A lot of people are spending half the day in office, or are spending a thousand bucks a day on cabs. Or are willing to jostle with maddening crowds, or use shared autos in ncr, and what not.
Why?
It's only for seven days.
The day this is made permanent, and the lethargy on development of comfortable, convenient public transport remains, is when people will get a second car, or the much cheaper solution as mentioned by somebody,to get a cng fitted.
Back to square one, or at least three steps forward, two backwards.
As of now, as someone who is suffering from tremendous issues due to this, I, for one, will have to take one of those exits.

Last edited by mayankk : 9th January 2016 at 16:25.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 16:34   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
I beg to differ here sir, being a part of the team that is fighting the ongoing legal battle in Supreme Court relating to environmental degradation especially air quality in Delhi due to a whole host of reasons, I can assure you these reports are not correct and based on unintelligible criteria. I myself have researched deep into the subject and the one thing I can say is stats do not do complete justice to the situation. The time at which the levels are checked can for instance, be a very big factor is skewing data. The odd even rule IS working and resulting in its intended purpose slowly and steadily.
Sir,

With due respect, except for a LOOOONG emotional appeal you shared zero data. How can anyone take your post seriously then? You spend fifteen lines on credentials and zero on data. I'm an aam aadmi but let me give some data contrary to your thesis - I'd so much as argue that you are confusing the data points, seemingly measuring a reduction in the daytime while completely missing the ~12 hour night pollution peak.

Here is RK Puram data from http://aqi.indiaspend.org/aq/breathe/ which shows that pollution peaks midnight and improves midday. That would lead to a reasonable conclusion that its truck related because there's next to ZERO car-related traffic/congestion at midnight.
RKP
Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-rkp1.jpg
Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-rkp2.jpg
Munirka - today
Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-mun1.jpg
Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-mun2.jpg
Vasant Kunj - Jan1 (deactivated right now for some reason)
Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-1.jpg
Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-2.jpg

Here's my limited data reading: the average is indeed down by ten percent, assuming for a minute that VK=Munirka (that could be wrong but lets live with that):
- PM2.5/PM10 Average is down by 5/10% as is the day-time peaks.
- Night peaks are JUST AS BAD and JUST AS LONG.

That itself makes me question the very basis of the trial. If our pollution peaks at midnight, we need midnight solution not midday solutions. The current efforts are in my limited understanding, nice of heart but have little leverage on the issues that matter (pollution). So now we're sure our cars are not killing us, but the trucks still are. No difference - we're still choking.

This is just a small set of screenshots. I could be completely wrong - but I'm yet to see a clear benefit. If you have data, please share data. Till then, no more emotional appeals without data. Please.

Last edited by phamilyman : 9th January 2016 at 16:39.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks