Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 16:53   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

While on the topic of a second car, a decent WagonR/Santro (older than 5 yrs) can be had for what, 1.5 lakhs? Add 40k for a sequential CNG kit, and in less than 2 lakhs you have your personal transport 'exempt' of this even-odd rule. No need to pay a premium for 'even' or 'odd' number or the new pollution tax or the hiked MCD parking charges etc etc.

Used car dealers must be praying this scheme continues.
Old 5th January 2016, 16:54   #452
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

I don't know what traffic problems are we solving out here but yesterday it was total chaos on road from Delhi - Gurgaon - a total choc- a - block. Its difficult for people who are not bound with specific day time shifts and are working in a bit flexible times based on business requirements. I think more brains should be applied in bringing out better solutions to curb the pollution's issue, I somehow don't agree with this funda and I am entitled to say it as I am dealing with it everyday and not sitting on an arm chair and commenting if its good or bad. Its not right to arm twist people in making one's way through when what we are doing is just generating a lot of publicity and beating around claiming we have curbed pollution levels - wish more common sense prevails on our politicians and bureaucrats who come up with these policies.
invincible7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:09   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I don't know what traffic problems are we solving out here but yesterday it was total chaos on road from Delhi - Gurgaon - a total choc- a - block. Its difficult for people who are not bound with specific day time shifts and are working in a bit flexible times based on business requirements. I think more brains should be applied in bringing out better solutions to curb the pollution's issue, I somehow don't agree with this funda and I am entitled to say it as I am dealing with it everyday and not sitting on an arm chair and commenting if its good or bad. Its not right to arm twist people in making one's way through when what we are doing is just generating a lot of publicity and beating around claiming we have curbed pollution levels - wish more common sense prevails on our politicians and bureaucrats who come up with these policies.
Even I read about this. Around what time did this happen at the Ambi Mall toll..? Were you part of it..? And how long were you trapped..?
Old 5th January 2016, 17:16   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Even I read about this. Around what time did this happen at the Ambi Mall toll..? Were you part of it..? And how long were you trapped..?
I started around 7:20 from Gurgaon near Signature tower and was not able to cross Gurgaon toll till 8:40, I don't see any difference in traffic situations if you ask me and I commute 35 kms from Delhi - Gurgaon everyday, in the morning its better but then many people these days are commuting early to offices to save themselves from getting penalized from cops or are working from home. I took a cab and it was a nightmare to book one from Gurgaon - Delhi as no one was ready to go to Delhi (3 drivers completely refused to ply on the route from Uber).
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:33   #455
Senior - BHPian

Can I also add a little something. Any Ambience Mall resident (I mean the apartments behind the mall) who is in Gurgaon and wishes to go home, in Gurgaon (mind you), was in for a surprise. Remember the mandatory u-turn that they have to take from Delhi, they were being challaned right under the Rajokri flyover yesterday, beat this!

This applied to all Gurgaon folks who went to Ambience Mall. Once the news spread the public simply started taking the wrong side.

Last edited by fine69 : 5th January 2016 at 17:35.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:41   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Can I also add a little something. Any Ambience Mall resident (I mean the apartments behind the mall) who is in Gurgaon and wishes to go home, in Gurgaon (mind you), was in for a surprise. Remember the mandatory u-turn that they have to take from Delhi, they were being challaned right under the Rajokri flyover yesterday, beat this!

This applied to all Gurgaon folks who went to Ambience Mall. Once the news spread the public simply started taking the wrong side.
Adding on to it, many cagers with Odd numbers (yesterday) gave this lone excuse to the delhi traffic cops standing at gurgaon border that they just crossed gurgaon to make U turn towards Ambi. While they were all let go by police, all of them took first flyover towards Delhi.
OneToughRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:47   #457
BHPian

Quote:

Exactly. I was planning to go to AMBI mall on the 1st. Then did not: cause I was sure they would be checking people who make the U-turn after crossing the border. Seriously, plonking AMBI mall next to the border was such a good example of horrendous planning. Well, GGN never was planned anyways..! A rage of rampant development. I had expected GGN to have a lesser influx of traffic (maybe 15-20%), but have not noticed anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Adding on to it, many cagers with Odd numbers (yesterday) gave this lone excuse to the delhi traffic cops standing at gurgaon border that they just crossed gurgaon to make U turn towards Ambi. While they were all let go by police, all of them took first flyover towards Delhi.
LOL. People find the loop hole within seconds. But of course, they were taking the risk of getting caught deep within Delhi.
asingh1977 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:58   #458
BHPian

I tried going in Delhi Metro yesterday evening around 8 pm from Huda Metro station to Saket.

Where are the additional metros?

One metro was coming every 10 minutes, what is going on?

I escaped the train with almost my clothes torn and feeling suffocated.

Knock Knock - Delhi Metro if you are reading this - we are people and not cattle that you can ferry in this manner. Even animals don't get to travel in such inhumane way.

I am going to buy a second car if this continues. My life is more important then traveling like animals in public transport.
heydj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 18:20   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Sorry for being blunt... I don't want to point fingers or target anyone. I am just giving an example.

If every person in Mumbai (who can afford it) started driving to downtown office from the suburbs there will be a grid lock every single day. I bet half the people wouldn't even reach office by lunch time. And this would have been the case even 20 years back.

We grew up using BEST/Cab/Rick and most importantly Local trains. There was no metro till about 3-4 years back. Its in our DNA

And here I am in Pune desperately wanting to use bus, but can't do it. The bus routes are useless for my commute. Takes me 30 mins on a cycle/car and 1 hour by bus (no direct route). Sigh.
When I was in Mumbai, I never drove to office. The car was for weekends only.

The issue is, Mumbai is great for public transport. People from suburbs go down-town for work. It is also long, so from a suburb, train will always be faster.

In Delhi, things are quite spread out. So people from all over go all over for work. And unless you have a web network (like a spider's web) of metro, it will always be faster / more convenient by car.

Central hub at Rajeev Chowk does not work. They need to have at least 3-4 concentric metro lines connecting the existing metro lines to make it work. Who will go from Gurgaon to Faridabad via central Delhi?

Still Delhi Metro has great usage, because there are enough people commuting along the lines / who have no other option. But for it to be a real option for all, it needs to be as efficient as (or more efficient than) road.
Old 5th January 2016, 18:31   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Exactly. I was planning to go to AMBI mall on the 1st. Then did not: cause I was sure they would be checking people who make the U-turn after crossing the border
Article someone posted on my fb page, now its obvious that people will say that they have to take a u-turn for gurgaon or are ambi island residents. The cops have no way of verifying if the car actually makes a u-turn or continues to head towards Delhi.

And if the cops say the exception is only for Ambi island residents then what if someone accidentally takes the highway to Delhi. He has no way of making a u-turn back to Gurgaon without paying the hefty challan. Things are getting interesting by the day.

Quote:
Vehicles which have to cross the Delhi border and take a U-turn at Rajokri flyover to go back to Gurgaon, have been exempted from penalty under the odd-even scheme, police here said today.
Source

Last edited by fine69 : 5th January 2016 at 18:32.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 18:35   #461
BHPian

Quote:

And what really boggles my mind is that I can hire a diesel cab today which is going to cause the same (most likely far more) pollution than my car and the only effect is me shelling out more money than what I would've spent on fuel, my contribution to pollution doesn't really change!
Just a little correction. All cabs are CNG . Even private CNG cars are exempted.
Old 5th January 2016, 18:50   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I

I am going to buy a second car if this continues. My life is more important then traveling like animals in public transport.
Go and buy one please.

Oh, by the way, I haven't heard anybody getting killed by traveling in public transport in Delhi. Sorry to say but I, me and myself attitude is all that we Delhizens have.
Old 5th January 2016, 18:57   #463
BHPian

Yesterday a friend from Delhi was moaning about odd even and in the next breath, he talked about his children's asthma getting so bad and how he was so fed up with Delhi. Strangely, he didn't see the irony of his consecutive statements.
Old 5th January 2016, 19:11   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Oh, by the way, I haven't heard anybody getting killed by traveling in public transport in Delhi. Sorry to say but I, me and myself attitude is all that we Delhizens have.
Had any experience with getting pick pocketed lately? Then comes the even smoother FIR process. Last but not the least, the butter smooth re-issuance of Voter ID card. There are a whole lot of other things but this was enough at least for me to stay away from the crowded public transport.

You are right, nobody gets killed but just in case you catch the pickpockets picking your pocket and just in case your instinct decides to resist then don't forget to wear a stab-proof vest!

I don't deny that I am a regular selfish guy. I've worked hard to own a car and no one has the right to tell me to not be selfish. What if I tell someone to not have that expensive meal at Bukhara's and instead have a regular economy meal at home. Everytime we engage in a leisure activity we contribute to pollution, knowingly or unknowingly and the people who are actually slogging to work in their vehicles are being held for causing pollution.

How many here dare to capture a vlog of their travel from a remote NCR place to another corner and then shut us all up by slapping that video in our face of how smooth the entire journey is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Yesterday a friend from Delhi was moaning about odd even and in the next breath, he talked about his children's asthma getting so bad and how he was so fed up with Delhi. Strangely, he didn't see the irony of his consecutive statements.
Didn't you share the statistics with him that private cars are the biggest contributing factor to air pollution in Delhi? You could've pointed him to any of the numerous sources we have on the web about how private cars are THE culprit of air pollution in NCR.

Last edited by fine69 : 5th January 2016 at 19:14.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 19:44   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Police also was there just to catch unsuspecting Gurgaon public. They would have been 1 flyover away if they wanted to catch genuine offenders.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks