Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2016, 10:49   #571
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 3 from Nov 13th*

What I find puzzling is the fact that out of 1 million viewpoints - 80% are outbound calls by delhi government. If you choose whom to contact for 80% of the cases, then you are going to get a vote in your favor. Hardly seems fair / open to me.

As far as science is concerned, our friends couldn't care two hoots. The city of delhi is screwed now - get ready for more 2nd cars than ever before.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 11:16   #572
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days *Edit: Round 3 from Nov 13th*

Don't they get that, :-

1.Excessive narrowing of roads due to Metro work, (which keeps on progressively eating up the available road like an tumor)

2.the intermittent narrowing and widening of roads(completely inconsistent road width)

(its as if they have been told to widen it wherever possible, regardless that about 6 Lane road will turn into 2 lane road in 200 meters or so, which is the obvious cause of bottleneck jams!! (the road I'm talking about here is the one from Dhaula Kuan to DG Expressway which goes along side metro)

3.Coupled with strategically placed Bus Stops on the narrowest portions of the ring roads (where buses competing for passengers block all but one or 2 lanes for 5-6 lane traffic behind!)

4. Along with all the buses and vehicles mysteriously(and rather suspiciously) breaking down on the ring road flyovers which already are the narrowest portions of the ring roads.
(~5-6 lanes of traffic are already competing and fighting to get onto a 3 lane flyover, where they disregard the lane markers and form 4 lanes, on top of which a bus or a vehicle breakdown turns that into a 2 lane road, its like the perfect textbook recipe for jams!!)

,are the primary causes of congestion!!?

Many a times, I get the feeling as if the road system is designed from the ground up, to cause congestion!!

Odd-even will just serve to mask these primary problems which will never be rectified and hence the congestion picture will never improve.
sohail99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 12:50   #573
BHPian

I had given my opinion on Delhi Government website for Odd/Even plan. And what I found, you enter any random name, any random mobile number from any place on the face of the earth and BOOM our genius government will listen to your opinion. Why anyone who does not live, work or face the problems in Delhi should decide what should happen with people of Delhi?

They are claiming that they held "Mohalla Sabhas", in Delhi I checked with all my relatives, friends and co-workers if they got a chance to be a part of any of such discussions and no surprises here too. Only one of my uncle who happens to be a senior coordinator of the ruling party send me a positive reply. Otherwise no one had no clues if any public discussion really happened.

Now my only concern is when any sane person would know that "CM Sahab" cannot afford to look fool by withdrawing this plan, then why are they doing all this "NAUTANKI", that Delhi has decided that they want ODD/EVEN. You made a policy, stand by it. Why sell it in the name of people of Delhi?

Last edited by napster1311 : 12th February 2016 at 12:56. Reason: added one more comment
napster1311 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 13:03   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster1311 View Post
Now my only concern is when any sane person would know that CM Sahab cannot afford to look fool by withdrawing this plan, then why are they doing all this NAUTANKI, that Delhi has decided that they want ODD/EVEN. You made a policy, stand by it. Why sell it in the name of people of Delhi?
Interestingly, this time around it is not to avoid looking like a fool. This is just a shrewd politician turning a genuine issue into political mileage with additional benefits of appeasing his vote bank. First time they had doubts about the success, but doing it a second time and that also so soon, is bound to be something else. They don't have data to support this decision so public demand seems the best excuse.

People cribbing on radio seemed a strong enough impetus for Mr.CM to come this conclusion

By the way, Mr.CM had last year agreed to revise auto fares in April every year so expect higher fares this time round.

Last edited by lordvader : 12th February 2016 at 13:10.
lordvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 13:05   #575
BANNED

I herd some rumours about a 'deal' with the Auto and Taxi unions. Anybody else heard about this?
Old 12th February 2016, 13:11   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
By the way, Mr.CM had last year agreed to revise auto fares in April every year so expect higher fares this round.
WHat is the point of this?
Has anyone EVER got a ride as per the fares?
There was a point in time when we used to believe the laminated sheet of paper as the correct fare card, till it was shown that its all a sham.
The auto drivers are such xxxxx that if someone finds an honest one, he clicks a picture of the guy, and it becomes a viral post on facebook. THAT much of a rarity.

Also, the kindly suggestions of ease of commute in NCR. Read up on the snapdeal employee whos missing?
Old 12th February 2016, 14:30   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
WHat is the point of this?
Has anyone EVER got a ride as per the fares?
There was a point in time when we used to believe the laminated sheet of paper as the correct fare card, till it was shown that its all a sham.
The auto drivers are such xxxxx that if someone finds an honest one, he clicks a picture of the guy, and it becomes a viral post on facebook. THAT much of a rarity.

Also, the kindly suggestions of ease of commute in NCR. Read up on the snapdeal employee whos missing?
Not sure where you are going with this. All I'm hinting at it is that the government can very well be hand-in-glove with the likely beneficiaries of this scheme. A possibility suggested in an earlier post as well.
Old 12th February 2016, 14:32   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Not sure where you are going with this. All I'm hinting at it is that the government can very well be hand-in-glove with the likely beneficiaries of this scheme. A possibility suggested in an earlier post as well.

I meant, what is the point of raising the fares, when these guys never run by the meters.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 14:44   #579
BHPian

Although no definitive study seems to have been conducted in this regard, I think commercial vehicles cause a lot more pollution on a per vehicle basis than private vehicles. So, perhaps the Delhi government should concentrate on getting polluting commercial vehicles off the roads of the city before coming up with infeasible schemes like this one.
Old 12th February 2016, 19:12   #580
Senior - BHPian

I feel they should also emphasize on 'work from home'. You could get some folks off the road

As far as current Odd & Even formula is concerned, I feel the Govt. should also look at the quota system. I mean OBC, ST, SC, General, Political Status etc and allocate a day or two accordingly!
HammerHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 20:42   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

I really don't understand what purpose does these arbitrarily decided 15 days trials will achieve?

Also I tried voting on the website link provided. Although my vote was yes, I was surprised to see in the end that according to them I have already voted "Yes" before. But I never took the survey before ever. So there was definitely some fishy stuff that happened behind that poll.

What will such trials do? I have no clue. The CM had openly stated that he is thinking of ways to prevent people from buying a second car. What have they done to achieve that? My uncle who owns two odd number cars, already told me to find him an even number car to wade through those trial runs.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 18:27   #582
SLK
Senior - BHPian

The website allowed voting yes, while it did not allow voting no. If you selected no, it refused to record your feedback. It was all a sham.

If you want a fair vote, then only allow people who drive daily to vote! Why should a person not owning a car decide whether I should be allowed to drive. If that is acceptable, then lets do a public poll for whether everyone living in a 3+ room house, should be made to share extra rooms with homeless, I'm sure the answer would be 90% yes, because 60% are unaffected and other 30% stand to gain!

This is a new political low, shame on this misuse of democracy.

My job requires me to travel almost all day long, I can't afford to take metro because then I spend probably 3-4hrs on traveling.

Delhi has no traffic congestion if traffic police was to do their job well and road bottlenecks caused by unauthorized construction/ parking are taken care off, but that would be both hard work and loss of vote bank.

If pollution was the agenda, someone would have talked about BS-IV+ or old 2 stroke 2 wheelers!
The trucks in Delhi is a problem, but the first step is to check why they pollute so much after being called BS IV, their entering is not the core problem, its their pollution. So often, late at night I see trucks with so much smoke that I can't see the road ahead, but I'm the one who's not allowed to drive a BS-IV petrol car for pollution.

Last edited by SLK : 13th February 2016 at 18:29.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 16:40   #583
Senior - BHPian

Phase two of Delhi Odd Even to begin from April 15 to April 30.

No school buses to be used in Delhi Odd Even, will run 'Paryavaran Bus Seva', 50% seats for women & marshals in each bus: Delhi Govt

Source: CNN-IBN News ‏@ibnlive

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 21st March 2016 at 16:43.
Old 23rd March 2016, 13:25   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi to follow odd-even scheme from April 15-30.

Decision taken by State government following feedback from Delhi residents. Two-wheelers to be exempt once again.

Quote:
81 percent of the respondents to the surveys carried out following phase one of the scheme wanted the odd-even policy to return.

The government is yet to decide on other categories of motorists who will be exempted this time from the scheme.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...30-400222.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd March 2016 at 13:26.
Old 5th April 2016, 11:43   #585
BHPian

Does this rule apply to self drive rentals? If yes, which cars will be allowed on 15th April? Cars with odd or even number plates?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks