Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2016, 22:34   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to handle rowdies on the road and teach them a lesson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post

Turns out, after receiving the slap, that guy started to speak the truth and pleaded not to press charges. He told that he was a collection agent and had a wife & kids to look after. The damage to my car was not too noticeable and seeing that he had received his punishment, I requested the policeman to let him go. I then thanked the police for their prompt help.
If your generosity has taught him a lesson and mends his behavior, then definitely you did an excellent work. But as habits die harder, I suspect he might try again with some other unsuspecting victims again in future. If that be, then it's a blunder to have excused him this time.

From what I see, they need to be shown the hard way without any leniency, for a better future for all. At least if these actions do take place, it shall act as a deterrent for these trouble makers.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 07:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
Hardly a month has passed and today I faced another road rage. Only difference is that I was on 2 wheeler and rowdies were in four wheeler.

This is my 2nd incident at chinchwad signal where people think that turning left is always without signal so all fellow bhpians please beware of rowdies at chinchwad signal (above railway station). Pune is full of such rowdies.
Sad to hear such incidents happening and you are right, Pune has such filth accumulating since long time. The local police is of no help. I recently moved to Pune from Mumbai and always found Mumbai to be more friendly. I have made it a point to carry a can of pepper spray whenever I go out and installed a dash cam in my car.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th September 2016 at 13:11. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please quote only the relevant portions.
Old 14th January 2017, 20:01   #78
BHPian

(Names, location and details not disclosed for reasons of professional respect and courtesy)

Slightly different tale, but in this case the 'Rowdy' happens to be an SDPO in uniform (a young IPS officer with 3 stars on his shoulder). Well, with nearly 17 yrs of service behind me...he must have been wondering one wouldn't be driving a Pajero in civvies looking like a young chap. I drive over the rumblers (which have actually been banned by the NHAI and installed in contravention to orders) at my usual nonchalant 50-55kmph, and probably this infuriated him. Comes behind me with flashing lights and blaring honks in an unregistered (or blank regn plates) silver-grey bolero with a driver and armed guard both in civvies! Asks me to stop, I stop. Uses some rough language including the F word...and asks me to step down, I do. Show him my ID, but he doesnt bother to look at it, instead says who cares who you are...and proceeds to ask me to show papers. I do. All in order. Then asks me about my deployment. I inform. Finally asks my ID, I show......dont knw why I feel he must be thinking he made a fool of himself with the way he was behaving strutting off his uniform and authority. We are there to protect and serve by being polite at the same time. The uniform does NOT give us the authority to be rude to those whom we are meant to serve. Finally leaves uttering a partly-audible-only-to-me-sorry. Would a civilian in the same condition appreciate such behavior? It hurts to see how young officers can behave so immature, and are they really mentally equipped to serve and protect? or are they not assimilating the spirit behind the service and training thats imparted to them? Well, its your guess!
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 20:41   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
(Names, location and details not disclosed for reasons of professional respect and courtesy)

Slightly different tale, but in this case the 'Rowdy' happens to be an SDPO in uniform (a young IPS officer with 3 stars on his shoulder). Well, with nearly 17 yrs of service behind me...he must have been wondering one wouldn't be driving a Pajero in civvies looking like a young chap. I drive over the rumblers (which have actually been banned by the NHAI and installed in contravention to orders) at my usual nonchalant 50-55kmph, and probably this infuriated him. Comes behind me with flashing lights and blaring honks in an unregistered (or blank regn plates) silver-grey bolero with a driver and armed guard both in civvies! Asks me to stop, I stop. Uses some rough language including the F word...and asks me to step down, I do. Show him my ID, but he doesnt bother to look at it, instead says who cares who you are...and proceeds to ask me to show papers. I do. All in order. Then asks me about my deployment. I inform. Finally asks my ID, I show......dont knw why I feel he must be thinking he made a fool of himself with the way he was behaving strutting off his uniform and authority. We are there to protect and serve by being polite at the same time. The uniform does NOT give us the authority to be rude to those whom we are meant to serve. Finally leaves uttering a partly-audible-only-to-me-sorry. Would a civilian in the same condition appreciate such behavior? It hurts to see how young officers can behave so immature, and are they really mentally equipped to serve and protect? or are they not assimilating the spirit behind the service and training that's imparted to them? Well, its your guess!
Dear X9, do you really think he deserves your professional courtesy? I think such people should be made famous (or infamous) as far as possible by lodging official complaints to authorities as well as their superiors and on social media (provided a video is available). It was nice of you to hide his details but if you really ask me, he doesnt deserve any bit of it.
Old 14th January 2017, 20:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
Dear X9, do you really think he deserves your professional courtesy? I think such people should be made famous (or infamous) as far as possible by lodging official complaints to authorities as well as their superiors and on social media (provided a video is available). It was nice of you to hide his details but if you really ask me, he doesnt deserve any bit of it.
Bud.
However, I personally felt there was an opportunity for that officer that he realise one should not jump the gun. I feel he will realise, since it is early in his career, that he must learn the proper ethics behind the nobility of his uniform he is donning!
Old 14th January 2017, 21:20   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Bud.
However, I personally felt there was an opportunity for that officer that he realise one should not jump the gun. I feel he will realise, since it is early in his career, that he must learn the proper ethics behind the nobility of his uniform he is donning!
Well. I disagree buddy, as being an officer in uniform, i encounter these hot blooded power corrupted nincompoops almost daily on roads of UP, Delhi and Haryana. They dont care who you are till they are cornered and find all your documentation in order. If you climb the elevated road in kanpur, or Golf Course road in Gurugram or even central delhi's isolated roads, they are roaming around aplenty. Some give up easily realising you too are a govt servant, some push it to finding a fault in your documentation, and some even take the risk of agitating you and then proving you were adamant and pushing your way through to avoid checking.

Anyways, Im sure your wisdom and humility played too in your decision. Great Going!!
SX4LOVER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 21:57   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly different tale, but in this case the 'Rowdy' happens to be an SDPO in uniform (a young IPS officer with 3 stars on his shoulder).
I drive over the rumblers (which have actually been banned by the NHAI and installed in contravention to orders) at my usual nonchalant 50-55kmph, and probably this infuriated him.
Asks me to stop, I stop. Uses some rough language including the F word...and asks me to step down, I do.
Are you sure rumblers are banned by NHAI? I have seen few in highways and some news articles too suggest otherwise.

Link
Link

Anyways, that officer was totally out of line. The moment a person uses expletives, he loses the whole argument. But in India, 'the land of babudom', nothing will change this kind of attitude. There are several thousand silent victims for each person who speaks up.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 22:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Are you sure rumblers are banned by NHAI? I have seen few in highways and some news articles too suggest otherwise.

Link
Link

Anyways, that officer was totally out of line. The moment a person uses expletives, he loses the whole argument. But in India, 'the land of babudom', nothing will change this kind of attitude. There are several thousand silent victims for each person who speaks up.

Rumblers they were. There are gaps on the sides and bikers go from the sides, one has to keep going straight to avoid even remotely nearing them!! Its scary!!
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks