Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2016, 08:00   #1
BHPian

Car with a TN number-plate in Bangalore?

While I have been driving a TN registered car in Bangalore for 1.5 years without any concern, I haven't been able to take it out for the last 2 weeks due to the unrest in Bangalore. I have already paid the Bangalore road tax a few months ago and have the receipt to that effect. However, changing the number to KA Registration requires that I travel to Chennai and get a Certificate from the Commissioner of Police + A NOC from the RTO there. After that, I need to submit these documents to the Bangalore RTO. Very long drawn process, the way I see it. Nevertheless, I have initiated the process.

In the interim, am I better off in Bangalore if I remove my TN license plates and drive without any plates at all?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th September 2016 at 08:06. Reason: Typo corrected
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 08:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Car with a TN number-plate in Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
In the interim, am I better off in Bangalore if I remove my TN license plates and drive without any plates at all?
No, you cannot drive a car without valid number plate, period.

I don't see any other way than getting your paper work done quickly. You may need to go there or assign somebody to follow up. Sooner the better.
Rudra Sen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 08:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Options for cars with TN number plate in Bangalore?

Seriously a catch 22. I advise that you shouldn't be driving without the plates. Why don't you try going down to the local traffic police and check with them. Explain your dilemma and tell them that you have paid your local taxes. Maybe they will issue you a letter that you can carry to show cops if you are flagged down without your plates. Which I pretty much doubt that they would permit.
On the other hand they may just tell you to get your RTO process done quickly and then use the car. Bangalore looks back to normal now , but it would still be an unlikely risk , if some mischief monger could still fancy himself with your parked car with TN plates. By the way where do you stay and commute to ? In areas like Whitefield , Koramangala and the tech hubs you may still use your car without any major risks.
Uber seems to be the way out till you get your KA plates.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 25th September 2016 at 08:16.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 08:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Why don't you try going down to the local traffic police and check with them.
This has nothing to do with police. He has paid his tax and nobody can stop him on the road.

He's bothered about vandalism and that's a valid concern.
Rudra Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 08:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This has nothing to do with police. He has paid his tax and nobody can stop him on the road.

He's bothered about vandalism and that's a valid concern.

Rudra , I know of person who approached the traffic cops during the recent riots and he got himself an exemption letter from using the plates till he reached Hosur on his way out from Bangalore to Chennai. This is of course a telephonic conversation with the gentleman and would not be able to substantiate. That's why I suggested. Also looks like the only way out is Uber or your suggestion to depute someone to complete the process quickly.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 08:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Rudra , I know of person who approached the traffic cops during the recent riots and he got himself an exemption letter from using the plates till he reached Hosur on his way out from Bangalore to Chennai.
Arjun, I understand what you're trying to say here. But it's not about leaving Karnataka and going to Tamilnadu.
He has to drive his car inside Bangalore city limit. Police will not allow him (or anybody for that matter) to drive car without number plate.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th September 2016 at 08:54.
Rudra Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 09:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Arjun, the people in question would be smart enough to spot a car that is not new and is running without number-plates.

Regarding the cops - the practice cannot be done on a long term basis. The recent tense situations were an exception for such an action, but even then I would still go by the point above.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 10:45   #8
BHPian

I am using office transport on a daily basis and the car is securely parked in office. I just want to get it home one of these days, I am in a secret gated community so I'd prefer the car is at home.
A friend in Chennai is trying to get me the certificate from the commissioner, soon as I have that; my agent will take me to the RTO for the NOC.
Weekends are still alive, courtesy Ola.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 11:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

The process is long drawn out and you still have to get your TN tax refunded after you get the KA number allocated.

The NOC process is easy and doesn't need an agent. See the procedure here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4048379

My advice though as you still retain a TN car and TN RC book presumably is to take the car back to TN and sell it. Buy a new KA car.

I am in the boat of having a TN car that I had to take to KA, got a KA number after paying life tax and then moved back to Chennai so that I now have a KA car in TN. I am able to drive it in chennai but it is a sitting target for opportunistic goons and policemen tend to fleece you a little more due to the KA plate.

Two year old car or not I am considering to take it to Bangalore and sell it there soon if this situation doesn't let up.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 11:52   #10
BHPian

From last two weeks my car is parked in the office basement parking.Number plates have been removed.I am using Uber daily from Yelahanka to Manyata Tech Park.

I don't think I would use the car in Karnataka again( the road tax is paid). I would not feel comfortable driving a TN number plate car. Seems more of a mind play but I would tend to drive more cautiously, incessant honking from other vehicles behind would make me think because of TN number, always worry if someone would for no reason target the vehicle and more importantly me so would be leaving car back in Chennai and would most probably buy a KA registered car here.

Even talking in tamil over the phone in a public place makes me stop the conversation and I say I would call back when at office/home so maybe its being paranoid but thats the way it is!
Old 25th September 2016, 13:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
Even talking in tamil over the phone in a public place makes me stop the conversation and I say I would call back when at office/home so maybe its being paranoid but thats the way it is!
I am not talking about the car per se, but I don't think that level of paranoia is warranted. Besides that, fear and paranoia only makes these goon-types salivate.

I am not entirely sure about what goes on in people's heads, but I assume most people are just average folk that want to go on living peaceful lives.

I'm not saying things are back to normal yet, but drastically changing your thought-process to just guard against a few bad apples is a little extreme IMHO.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 25th September 2016 at 13:24.
ashwin489 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 14:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

The NOC process is easy and doesn't need an agent. See the procedure here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4048379
The NOC may be easy but the Commissioner of Police issuing a letter sounds like a weird ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My advice though as you still retain a TN car and TN RC book presumably is to take the car back to TN and sell it. Buy a new KA car.
No plans of ever moving back to Chennai so nothing to worry on that count. My employer paid the KA Road tax, once I have the KA number; I am sorted. I don't care about the TN Refund either. I just want to get on with my life.
Old 25th September 2016, 14:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

You could try this:

TN registration, Kannada script.

Car with a TN number-plate in Bangalore?-forumrunner_20160925_142926.png
(Source: WhatsApp forward)

What's the chance that the goons resorting to such language targeting can read..?
schakravarthy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 15:07   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The NOC may be easy but the Commissioner of Police issuing a letter sounds like a weird ask.
Nothing weird. If I remember correctly, CRB is near Egmore. And is actually one of the most efficient police stations I've seen. But I don't think you need to go there. NOC would be issued by the local police station itself. I had to go there to cancel the NOC provided by KL RTO towards my bike.

I'm also in the same boat. TN car in Bangalore. Tax paid, but not re-registered.

Car was parked safely for a week, post which I've covered almost 300kms inside Bangalore City without any issues since last Wednesday.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 15:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No plans of ever moving back to Chennai so nothing to worry on that count. My employer paid the KA Road tax, once I have the KA number; I am sorted. I don't care about the TN Refund either. I just want to get on with my life.
The NOC is easy, and as you have paid the road tax getting a KA number is easy too. The paperwork is straightforward - it just takes a month or two for RTO processes to take effect.

Once you get a NOC which takes say one day to go to the chennai police commissioner's office near the Dina Thanthi office in Vepery, get the certificate the next day (take along ID proof, RC copy, DL copy, insurance) - then take a copy of all that stuff along with the NOC application (form 28 in triplicate or quadruplicate endorsed by the financier if the car is under loan) to the RTO and hand it in along with your original TN RC in a small ziploc stapled along with the paperwork - keep a xerox of it. You will get a NOC within 2..3 days max.

That NOC form needs a pencil print of your engine number - hold a paper over the place in your car where the numbers are etched and rub a pencil over it in slow / gentle strokes, or as the number is usually etched in a very awkward spot have someone help hold the paper while you rub the pencil.

After that take the NOC along with a copy of all the other paperwork (form 29 / 30, insurance, old rc copy, copy of the already paid life tax in KA receipt etc etc) to your local RTO - mostly the non transport section - and then hand it in. You will get a new number after say 45 days.

Meanwhile please learn more kannada than just "kannada gothilla" - it is a useful and nice thing to do in any city you move to, to learn the local language, and in this case alone - much as I hate to say it, goons and political activists (half of whom are cab / auto drivers, or other people you might meet on the streets) don't decide to make an issue of it just because they're feeling mean and hear you speaking Tamil.

update - reply to another post -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Hasn't the tension relieved? May lord bless us with some conscience.

On a lighter note, it is better to have a non-TN and non-KA registration. It could work in your favour and can be used in both the states.
Except that sooner or later the RTO will harass you to re-register and pay tax.

And once you have paid that tax, if you hope to reclaim your old telengana life tax as a refund, you absolutely need to get a new KA number.

I don't know but if you want to pay say 90k for a karnataka tax and maybe 68k for your telengana tax and keep both RTOs nice, rich and happy, it is your hard earned money and your choice.

It feels normal to ok to me in Tamil Nadu, not much of an issue if you steer clear of obvious goon fests such as political rallies. Just that cops will shake you down for a slightly larger amount in fines as you are an out of state car. In karnataka - it still feels like a lit fuse and most of the actions of the KA politicians such as unanimously deciding to disobey the supreme court order on water release are calculated to inflame tensions first in KA and then if the water isn't released and crops start getting hit, even more in TN.

It might blow over if there is a good amount of rain in december, but if that fails then god help people in both states.

Last edited by hserus : 25th September 2016 at 15:39.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks