Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2017, 11:21   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Car wheel theft in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
They stole not only the wheels but front brake pads too! Which makes me think the thieves have an Innova Crysta of their own which needed brake pads.
Note, this car is a taxi, I really feel for the owner driver
Old 16th October 2017, 13:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the occurance of such incidences, I am tempted to buy lock nuts.

It is also better to opt for an insurance peril related to theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
What I usually do is turn the front wheels maximum and get the steering locked. That way the front wheels remain relatively safe when compared to rear wheels.
Interesting. How does that help? Normally the wheel well will not hinder the wheel removal even in fully turned position.
Old 16th October 2017, 14:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
They stole not only the wheels but front brake pads too! Which makes me think the thieves have an Innova Crysta of their own which needed brake pads.
Yes they indeed did and I just couldn't figure out why. Also, the thieves weren't neat in their job too, the discs have a minor bend especially the front driver side one.

Area: Mariyannana Palya, North Bengaluru. This area is right next to mine i.e., Coffee Board Layout.

Time: 15th October, 2017. The shop guy right opposite to this informed that the cab owner was near the vehicle till around mid-night. So the time of theft might be between 1 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. After that people start walking in my area and also graveyard shift employees coming back in their cabs.

Here's the picture I clicked this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Car wheel theft in India-innova_crysta_wheel_theft.jpg  

Last edited by Vinodh_Gowda : 16th October 2017 at 14:47.
Old 16th October 2017, 17:59   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
Yes they indeed did and I just couldn't figure out why. Also, the thieves weren't neat in their job too, the discs have a minor bend especially the front driver side one.

Here's the picture I clicked this morning.
Attaching more pictures, courtesy my friend who took the pain to get the close-up shots on request
Attached Thumbnails
Car wheel theft in India-20171016photo00000889.jpg  

Car wheel theft in India-20171016photo00000890.jpg  

Car wheel theft in India-20171016photo00000891.jpg  

Car wheel theft in India-20171016photo00000892.jpg  

Car wheel theft in India-innova_crysta_wheel_theft.jpg  

Car wheel theft in India-innova_crysta_wheel_theft2.jpg  

Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 20:27   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attaching more pictures, courtesy my friend who took the pain to get the close-up shots on request
Looks like the same gang that showed up at Tatanagar, but I am assuming the group is split. Because they usually target 5 or more and does 2 months work in one night. Mode of operation is changed OR they could not find more brand new tires in the locality !
Old 16th October 2017, 20:59   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Looks like the same gang that showed up at Tatanagar, but I am assuming the group is split. Because they usually target 5 or more and does 2 months work in one night. Mode of operation is changed OR they could not find more brand new tires in the locality !
Can't comment on their modus operandi but then can guarantee you that my locality has quite a few newer cars. Also, lot many cars parked outside.
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 22:26   #82
Senior - BHPian

There's BMW 5 series parked on the road in my locality, permanently! I don't know the dim wit who'd splurge 50-60L lakhs and park his ride on the road with no waether shielding, here vehicles are parked on both sides of the road and any car would be prone to dings and dents when parked by the road side!
Old 16th October 2017, 23:43   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
There's BMW 5 series parked on the road in my locality, permanently! I don't know the dim wit who'd splurge 50-60L lakhs and park his ride on the road with no waether shielding, here vehicles are parked on both sides of the road and any car would be prone to dings and dents when parked by the road side!
May be he has abandoned it ! We have a Lexus on our street, and now possibly a Opel Astra too. The wheels of the Lexus were taken quite some time back. The weather is now eating into the car.
Old 17th October 2017, 07:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
May be he has abandoned it ! We have a Lexus on our street, and now possibly a Opel Astra too. The wheels of the Lexus were taken quite some time back. The weather is now eating into the car.
No, it hasn't been abandoned, it's being used and been cleaned every day!!
Old 21st October 2017, 11:51   #85
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sharing! When are the cops going to wake up to this menace?

Quote:
Last week, on the night of 14-15, this Innova's tyres were stolen. It is so sad (and I did not print those words on the picture, I got it as it is in our welfare association). The road is one of the wider and calmer roads, it's 80 ft wide which is a rarity in residential areas.
Car wheel theft in India-img20171021wa0001-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 12:48   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to a Team-BHP fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sharing! When are the cops going to wake up to this menace?
Any information on which area did this theft happen?

As for the Innova Crysta wheel theft pictures I posted, the car is still in the same condition. Looks like the owner does not have enough finances to get it back on the road. I feel sad whenever I see the car, that's atleast 4-5 times a day.

Last edited by Vinodh_Gowda : 24th October 2017 at 12:50.
Old 24th October 2017, 13:06   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As for the Innova Crysta wheel theft pictures I posted, the car is still in the same condition. Looks like the owner does not have enough finances to get it back on the road.
Is he not claiming insurance? Theft should be covered under comprehensive insurance and the vehicle is new so it should have one, no?
Old 24th October 2017, 13:25   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Is he not claiming insurance? Theft should be covered under comprehensive insurance and the vehicle is new so it should have one, no?
When the wheels of the car near my house was stolen, the owner replaced it with aftermarket alloys and tyres. From that I presume the insurance claim did not work out. If it had, they would have obviously got OE rims at least from Toyota through insurance.
Old 29th October 2017, 13:04   #89
BHPian

Just got this on Whatsapp. Wheels stolen from a new Hyundai Creta from a society in Noida, UP.

Car wheel theft in India-5ab6deb282cf4fd5bbbc033a6beb0aa1.jpeg
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 13:19   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I got one of my rims replaced under insurance. For the tyre, negotiations are going on, but meanwhile I purchased a new one and got it fitted on the car. The insurance chap said that they do tyres on case to case basis. Most of the insurance companies have introduced tyre protection add-on so they will honour your one time tyre replacement as well.

I think its high time we get anti-theft bolts for our cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks