Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2006, 14:39   #31
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani View Post
@ RKS : the desperate situation we talked here was of being boxed in by two motorbikes. i hope u agree with me that the best option at that time wud have been to run away even if it meant knocking them out of ur way.
This is a difficult one. All I can say is to use your best judgement. If you are *absolutely* sure that the motorbikes are intentionally trying to block you for the purpose of doing you serious harm, then I guess you just have to keep moving, provided you are confident of pulling it off. But even in the case that you are discussing, ultimately the original poster did survive with a few rupees lost and without serious injury, isn't it? That is better than knocking people over and killing them.

And how can you be sure of the evil intentions of someone coming in your path? The action you are advocating will result in lots and lots of misunderstandings and panic killings which most of the time will be completely needless. Also it is very easy for your number to be noted in which case eventually your address will be known to the cops *and* the hoodlums. Even if you get away with it on the spot, the probability that either the law or the hoodlums will get even with you is very high. Neither you nor your family will have any peace of mind.

I would advocate a driving style adopted by the VIPs; go fast if someone is giving chase, so that they would be very reluctant to mess with you by coming in your way. But that would not be of much use if the hoodlums block the road with obstacles, such as, boulders, and wait for you.

Last edited by rks : 30th November 2006 at 14:51.
Old 30th November 2006, 14:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

I think that the way out is that whenever possible, use company transport. there is always safety in numbers
Old 30th November 2006, 17:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

People if you think you need to stay back late and have gone on your own vehicle to office, pls avail company transport and try to get off at your door.
Just to emphasize on why I said door, my colleague was robbed at the corner of the road to his house.

He got off the cab at the corner off the road,thinking that he could walk home and was robbed while walking to his house.Presumably the distance he had to walk was only about 200 mts to his house. He lost his lappie,wallet,ring and cell.

Just avail company transport when you stay back since its much much safe.
Old 30th November 2006, 18:42   #34
Team-BHP Support

I stayed in Bangalore for 4 years, and I also noticed this "gang up" mentality. you meet with an accident, few people will come from nowhere and try to extract money from you.
If you do not speak kannada, you will be in trouble.
First time this happened when an 800 came and hit me from a side road. They guy started speaking local language and few people gathered. Luckily the indiranagar police station was nearby.
Second time it was with a bike. I almost hit a bike guy who was jumping a light. He came after me and wanted to fight. I just drove off when mob gathered.
The funny thing in bangalore is that whenever there is an accident mobs gather from nowhere.
Old 30th November 2006, 19:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

I was shocked to see all these happenings. Certainly Chennai is not this worst.

OT: But when it comes to burglary, I guess Chennai would beat Bangalore. Guys from North make lots of trouble here. The famous methods here are bero pulling (these guys will pull the bero next to the window & steal) & grill robber ( he will make entry by cutting the grills in the window & takes away the valuables). Police yet to unearth them as they had swindled valuables nearing crores
Old 30th November 2006, 20:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I stayed in Bangalore for 4 years, and I also noticed this "gang up" mentality. you meet with an accident, few people will come from nowhere and try to extract money from you.
If you do not speak kannada, you will be in trouble.
First time this happened when an 800 came and hit me from a side road. They guy started speaking local language and few people gathered. Luckily the indiranagar police station was nearby.
Second time it was with a bike. I almost hit a bike guy who was jumping a light. He came after me and wanted to fight. I just drove off when mob gathered.
The funny thing in bangalore is that whenever there is an accident mobs gather from nowhere.
Very TRUE. Many a times i have been caught by the cops for riding an outside state motorcycle, though i have paid the karnataka tax and have kept all the documents handy, they still try to impose some fine on me. Once a cop stopped me and told me that i had a defective silenecer. I ride an RX-100 ( STOCK ). I told him its not a chamber, its just the stock silenecer, but he was not ready to listen, finally my friend who was my pillion started speaking to him in kannada and he let me go.....These kind of things are very commn in blore ..
Old 30th November 2006, 22:25   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I was the recipient of theft today

Never thought I'd actually be part of the "stolen" group, but it happened to me today. I was walking back to my house at around 8 pm today 30-11, and on the road next to my house in 8th Block Jayanagar. This was 42nd cross - I live in 43rd cross. This is the locality I've lived all my 27 years of life in and thought was reasonably immune to all the other mishappenings in BLR. Turned into my road -was walking on the right side of the road while talking on my cell in my left ear - and suddenly 2 f**kers from behind on a Splendor professionally snatched my mobile and motored away.

I even notified the Hoysala patrol jeep and 2 tiger cop bikes that came on their regular 815 patrol abt this. But, I dont expect them to practically do much.

I've immediately had Airtel block my number till I get an duplicate SIM card and of course, a new phone.

MC_Mayank, mclaren1885 sorry guys if you'd tried to reach me in the later part of the evening. MC_Mayank, I've scrapped in your Orkut - pl check

Last edited by theMAG : 30th November 2006 at 22:29. Reason: thought augmentation
Old 30th November 2006, 22:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear that MAG. Gosh when will the damn cops in our city wake up and do something about this !!!
Old 30th November 2006, 23:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Turned into my road -was walking on the right side of the road while talking on my cell in my left ear - and suddenly 2 f**kers from behind on a Splendor professionally snatched my mobile and motored away.
That was an daring and brazen act!
That too at a Residential area and night 8 PM! Man, this City is going to dogs unless we have a Police Commissionar like HT Sangliana!

Last edited by finneyp : 30th November 2006 at 23:15.
Old 1st December 2006, 00:35   #40
BHPian

please forgive me when i say this most of bangalore hate north indians coz they create trouble i have seen this myself...getting back to the matter what ever you do never ever get into a fist fight espically near BTM, madiwala belive me coz when i was in trouble i went to the police station for some assistance was no use so what did i do called up my boys and everythig was solved...

never stop your car when you feel that you are being follwed...there were reports in the news papers that a group of 4 follow you in 2 wheelers block your way they ram into your car wantingly ramm your car so that even if u goto police station or escape u will be charged with hit and
run...the best thing here when they are blocking just slow down a bit and see the right moment and pass them

lock your car if your required to stop when these situations arise... it all depends on ones judgement if u think u can handle 3 guys go ahed dont worry even if they hit you .. you should be in a position to wack them and wack them good better kick their ba** s thats the best self support and escape... if you fell that he has taken down the car number so that he can catch you later.. before you go home goto the police station and explain everything to the senior cop.

the problem is most of the victms here are IT people so please go home early, dont travel alone espically with wife children always be in a group while driving late in the night

@ turbo freak were these guys elder or 20 yo's it was very brave of you to hit him back
never travel it that road from next time

@ everybody espically IT people store the phone number of hoysala

other tactics used by these punks are they carry chilli powder with them
when they carry out robberies...so why dont we carry chilli powders with us..

some of the above things that i have mentioned are from my personel experience but never been hit or accused by anybody

Last edited by chetan : 1st December 2006 at 00:46.
Old 1st December 2006, 09:21   #41
BHPian

pepper spray works best when ur surrounded by a gang of thugs, just spray it all around u, it will bring even the toughest of thugs to their knees.

other notable options include paintball guns (fully automatic) and the good old 'stun gun' made by Taser, upto 50,000 volts will take a baby elephant to its knees. In the US, Tasers are not considered firearms and are legal for use in most states
Old 1st December 2006, 09:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

There have been instances of mobile-snatching, chain-snatching, purse-snatching in Bangalore. Its done by a gang. After they are caught by police, these incidents suddenly cease. Hope police lay their hands on them soon.
Nobody is immune to such incidents - it can happen to anyone (like theMAG). When on street (either riding, driving or walking), be aware of traffic around and certainly when using a cell phone.
Old 1st December 2006, 10:12   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
pepper spray works best when ur surrounded by a gang of thugs, just spray it all around u, it will bring even the toughest of thugs to their knees.

other notable options include paintball guns (fully automatic) and the good old 'stun gun' made by Taser, upto 50,000 volts will take a baby elephant to its knees. In the US, Tasers are not considered firearms and are legal for use in most states

If you spray mace all around you, chances are you will blind yourself too.

Paintball guns? I thought those were recreational and not meant for self defence.

In India, tasers are illegal except for police use. Also, 50,000 volts will not take down a baby elephant. It won't even take down a full grown man. Nowadays you get 900,000 volt tasers for quick and efficient takedowns.
Old 1st December 2006, 10:18   #44
BHPian

you know what...i dont live in bangalore. Heck, i dont even have to worry about this problem.

But it's just bugging me. I can imagine the aggravation that a person must be going through. the feeling of violation of personal space. Cmon man, you dont deserve this.

I know it's easy to sit outside the situation and talk. Personally, i wouldnt know how I would react if such things happened here in Chennai. Well, actually, they did happen in the road adjecent to the one where I live - two in the same night (!), and Anna Nagar is supposed to be a pretty secure area. But thats not the point.

If it's happened so many times in the past, and no one seems to be taking any action, whats to stop them from going a step further?
i ve already read somewhere in the posts that the fiends followed one person all the way home and made a scene. So now even 'home' isnt safe?!

what are ur workplaces saying? arent u guys letting higher ups in your office know about it?

and there is no safety in numbers with company transport either. if there are 4 people in the car, then there will be 4 bikes and 8 guys.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2013 at 14:14. Reason: Removing derogatory reference to a particular State
Old 1st December 2006, 12:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
please forgive me when i say this most of bangalore hate north indians coz they create trouble i have seen this myself...
What is the relevance of this statement under the circumstances? Sorry, I must have missed something here.... ....has it been established that these goons were North Indian??????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks