Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2006, 17:58   #1
BHPian

HINDSIGHT is a wonderful thing but of no use when you are DEAD

Reached office with heavy heart. Was riding through ECR and spotted a crowd and knew immediately there was an accident. I got down to see if I can help. Police and traffic cops were there and ambulance just arrived. The medics removed him only to declare dead.

Just a small hit on the head where blood was gushing down and it stopped LIFE and may be has also stopped life in his family.

The mistake he did, he had a GP One costly helmet but FORGOT TO LOCK THE HELMET STRAP.

The helmet flew the moment he hit the car and his head banged into the median which opened his head (small one) and consumed his life.
We can go on and on about Safety equipments, jackets, gloves etc…but Also put equal importance on HOW TO USE IT. It was just a STRAP and I have seen many of us do the same.

It’s a strap, it’s inconvenient, it’s a pain, it’s irritating BUT it might SAVE your LIFE.

STUPIDITY isn’t a SIN but it might consume your life and;
HINDSIGHT is a wonderful thing but of no use when you are DEAD.

Drive safe and take no chances with your life…

Old 30th November 2006, 18:26   #2
BHPian

Well said madbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
It’s a strap, it’s inconvenient, it’s a pain, it’s irritating BUT it might SAVE your LIFE.

STUPIDITY isn’t a SIN but it might consume your life and;
HINDSIGHT is a wonderful thing but of no use when you are DEAD.

Well said ram. It is true even with most other driving practises. Not leaving a safe distance between vehicles, passing in millimeter distances, etc...

People dont realize safe driving is like insurance. One does not claim insurance everyday, its there for serious accidents. Similarly one has not had problems even without safetey measures does not guarantee safety tomorrow. This is where our masses have a lot to learn.
Old 30th November 2006, 18:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Damn I cant rember how many people I have actually told that putting the strap is as important as wearing a helmet.

Guys please always strap you helmets.
Old 30th November 2006, 19:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Most of my friends do exactly the same. They feel that it serves absolutely no purpose. Well if you are wearing a helmet already, whats wrong in putting that strap?

A link of this topic will reach their mailboxes soon.
Old 1st December 2006, 00:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

People who have a deathwish can't besaved, no matter how bad you try. Here in Hyderabad people have a terrible apathy towards helmets. It almost borders on lunacy. A very vocal minority community leader gave another provocative speech on saturday night where he urged the people to kill the policeman or smash their heads or some such crap if caught for helmetless driving or booked for any such similar traffic offence! He said he will see to it that the offender is not booked by the police. Can you beat that?

By the way those who wear helmets in this city mostly keep their strap hanging loose.
Old 1st December 2006, 01:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The mistake he did, he had a GP One costly helmet but FORGOT TO LOCK THE HELMET STRAP.
The same thing happened at the unfortunate event at the first(<?) bombay speedrun...
I saw the helmet flying into the air on impact.

As they say for seatbelts, click-it or ticket....i guess it could apply for this too...

cya
R
Old 1st December 2006, 10:16   #7
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
As they say for seatbelts, click-it or ticket....i guess it could apply for this too...

cya
R
Rehaan,

Despite that slogan, how many have you seen actually buckling up? I don't know about Providence but here in Philadelphia, 90% population DOESNOT 'click-it' and to think that this is US & A!
Old 1st December 2006, 11:05   #8
BHPian

Its very sad...leave out the lunatics who think helmet is a irritating crap...u cant really save them but I am talkig those guys who understand the need for helmet, go hunting for GP Ones and Arais and spend moolah in getting them...but not strapping on...

After reading this if 5 our mates start strapping up, i would have reached my opbjective.

One small request to all: If you see your friends not wearign the strap, pls take that one minute and ask him to, that one min might save your friends life.
Old 1st December 2006, 12:38   #9
BHPian

Its their choice.. If they value life, they would.
Old 1st December 2006, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar View Post
Its their choice.. If they value life, they would.
No its not like that many times people are ignorant, a person who by himself is buying a GP1(for that matter any other helmet) surely values his life. Its just that he does not realise how important it is to strap it. So next time you see some one wrearing helmet without strap educate\advise him rather than thinking that he doesnt value life
Old 1st December 2006, 14:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

mm...valuable stuff. I remember the fight i put up with my dad to get a helpmet for me when i got a bike (was student then)..
in Chennai CTS office, where i was working, had rule where those who didn't came with their helments strapped on two wheelers had to park their two wheelers outise the gate. they were not permitted in. and the thing i noticed was the no of vehichles which were kept outside from day one, kept increasing. one of my team mates also kept his vehichle outside. later on some innovative fellows kept their helmets hanging somewhere on the twowheelers and before entering the gates, strapped it on. Well they were essentially fooling the rule. I still wonder whom they are fooling eventually!!!
Old 1st December 2006, 15:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
in Chennai CTS office, where i was working, had rule where those who didn't came with their helments strapped on two wheelers had to park their two wheelers outise the gate.
Yes, we achieved this in Cognizant after talking to HR and other teams. I would say of the 100 who were not wearing an helmet, some 20 are wearing now...so thats a success.

We even enforced wearing seat belts rule...but you see some senior folks didnt like Security ordering them...so the rule was removed...we cant change Egoistic fools but lets try to educate or eradicate Ignorance.
Old 1st December 2006, 15:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, we achieved this in Cognizant after talking to HR and other teams. I would say of the 100 who were not wearing an helmet, some 20 are wearing now...so thats a success.

Quote:
We even enforced wearing seat belts rule...but you see some senior folks didnt like Security ordering them...so the rule was removed...we cant change Egoistic fools but lets try to educate or eradicate Ignorance.
that is the typical 'i am greater than thou' attitude of our indian seniors.

sad to learn that. these kids go out & spend a fortune on looking cool, but forget the basic needs like putting the strap on. very sad.
Old 8th December 2006, 03:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

There was this step taken at our office and which is still in vogue. Those two wheeler riders who took pride in not wearing a helmet to achieve whatever better purpose in life were made to park their vehicles on the road outside in the blazing sun the whole day. I am happy that they did this. As a result of this I see a lot of my colleagues and other employees caring to wear helmets. Personally, I have been wearing a helmet (strapped it everytime too !!) ever since I started riding a bike and I am not comfortable if I dont wear one. Thanks to my dear father for having inculcated this thing in me right from the beginning
Old 8th December 2006, 12:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Am guilty here. Though I always wear a helmet, I have not been strapping up in the recent past, as the buckle was not working anymore. Should get it repaired/replaced soon. Thanks, madbullram.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks