Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Has your driving style changed after observing mileage in realtime?
Yes, I am a more sedate driver with uniform speeds now 187 48.95%
No - I don't care 128 33.51%
Can't - My car/bike doesn't display mileage in real time 67 17.54%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 11:26   #76
BHPian

Re: Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?

Nope.I drive a manual GB BMW 116i in Singapore and get somewhere between 9-10 kmpl in city driving.Got 15 +kmpl driving at 140-180 km/hr on a recent drive to KL,Malaysia.
The car has an eco pro mode with lowered AC settings and poorer throttle response and likely throttled engine output in this setting but I hardly ever touch this !
Old 6th December 2017, 12:11   #77
BHPian

My palio doesn't have that feature, but even when I drive cars that have that feature I generally look at the Average FE once every 30 mnts or so. For example when I drive my Brother-in-Law's Punto I know that on highways an average of 18 or so is good enough. So as long as it hovers around that I continue driving the way I am. Most of the times I achieve that with my normal driving style. While some people do get 20+ on highways in a punto, completely sacrificing the fun element would make the entire journey boring. So I try to strike a balance.
Old 6th December 2017, 12:27   #78
Senior - BHPian

Voted for "Yes"

10 days back we did a Delhi - Manali - Delhi in a Ford Aspire TDCi. Details here

Throughout the drive I enjoyed mostly RTFE indicator along with Average Mileage and at few times DTE too. I was always maintaining 90 kmph and very rarely took to 100 kmph in Delhi - Ambala NH1. From Kullu to Manali the average speed was 17 kmph. We drive till Solang, Kothi, Gulaba and other many famous places within Manali and finally got an astonishing 20.5 kmpl mileage (1256 KMs).

Only time RTFE indicator drops below 10 kmpl was in first gear and fluctuate between 30 and 36 kmpl on 5th gear at 90 kmph. The most exciting reading is when you lift from A-Pedal '99.99 kmpl' Down hill in any gear is a treat to watch.

If it was our BEAT or FIGO (both petrol) total fuel spending would have been close to Rs. 7000/-

When peeping into DTE the feeling was that Aspire had another fuel tank hidden somewhere.

Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?-dte.jpeg

Better half was keep on saying let us upgrade to this from Beat and I was countering it with Ecosport or/else Nexon.

Trip was cool and calm

Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?-snow.jpeg

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 6th December 2017, 14:09   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Voted for NO.

I've never been one to care about fuel economy, no matter which car I drive. Thus, I don't even have the FE screen selected / displayed when I'm driving. The rare times that I've checked the FE numbers have only been to post on Team-BHP so that it helps others.
Agree with w.r.t my Octavia TSI.

I don't bother as RTFE is especially meaningless with my 1:1 highway:city usage. In the former, it shows fabulous figures subject to certain wild Sports mode moments; in the latter, let us say I avoid scrolling to that particular menu.

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th December 2017 at 14:10. Reason: Typo
Old 6th December 2017, 14:38   #80
BHPian

Voted 'No'.

I haven't changed my driving style with the introduction of the real-time fuel economy indicator. I am usually a sedate driver, but do occasionally floor the pedal on empty roads to enjoy the horses available under the bonnet.

Once in a while I do enjoy playing with the real-time economy indicator to see what is the best I can get with my driving style. Otherwise, I pay no attention to it (unless the economy has fallen drastically, which could be pointing to a problem with the car).
Old 6th December 2017, 16:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

Voted No

Like Eddy, I too feel its a distraction atleast in city. My car has RTFE, I had barely used it exceot for a few minutes on one lazy city drive on a holiday. Otherwise I have never had it on active display.

I doubt trolling the RTFE while driving is going to hugely improve my FE . On 4-lane highways I usually set the car on cruise at a conservative speed (mostly low to high 90s). On 2-lanes and city you speeds and FE are at the mercy of the traffic around you.
Old 6th December 2017, 17:17   #82
BHPian

Being with Ford Figo Petrol it does not make sense to think about fuel efficiency. No matter what you do it’s not going to be above 12KMPL without AC. And overall average deteriorates with a full load and AC running.

Figo is fun to drive on ghats but fuel consumption is something which refrains me to push it to the limits. Ford should have done something about it, maybe a Remap for the existing customers.
Old 6th December 2017, 21:31   #83
BHPian

Voted "No".

I drive a Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDi on 205/55 S-Drives and it's a hoot to drive on the open tarmac and expressways. The surge of torque in 1750-2500 RPM is addictive and it seamlessly pulls even till 4200 RPM. Even when driven really hard, i have been able to manage a FE of more than 17 kmpl and so I really never bothered much for fuel efficiency.

Upon leaving the accelerator pedal the RTFE shows an unbelievable 85.0kmpl. I also find it a distraction while driving.

With these factors, I have voted an emphatic NO.
Old 6th December 2017, 21:50   #84
Senior - BHPian

I voted no. I have stopped looking at the fuel efficiency in the MID. What difference does it make anyway? With the mad traffic around only increasing day by day, it doesn't really matter how quickly the gauge goes down. I just drive the car as always and enjoy it without paying any special attention to the driving style. I fill it when the MID starts blinking / yellow light appears.

On a side note, I have even stopped keeping track of the trip meters. Only the odo matters now!
Old 7th December 2017, 10:30   #85

I have voted NO.
However, I do see RTFE on my City-iVTEC. Sometimes I am a sedate driver, sometimes I am aggressive.

Sedate Drive: 16 kmpl
Aggressive : 12 kmpl

Notwithstanding, I observe that whenever I accelerate too much, driving becomes dangerous in typical Ahmedabad traffic full of unmindful persons at wheel with no respect to lane driving, ORVM fully folded and mobile in one hand. Though fun is unlimited with occasional Adrenalin rush, however, at times gives me stress.

Sedate driving on the other hand keeps me relax and fresh in a long hour drive.

In conclusion: I would vote for a sedate driving without distracting too much to RTFE display.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:43   #86
BHPian

I voted 'No'. While I care for fuel economy and value fuel efficient cars, real time fuel efficiency indicator is a distraction.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 12:30   #87
BHPian

I voted 'Can't', but honestly, it makes no difference whatsoever. I have never bothered about the efficiency I get on any car (the family has owned petrols for over 30 years, spanning the Middle East and the US) or bike, for that matter.

Lately, however, I have been riding my bike a little sedately, because I haven't had the time to go to Indimotard to get the screw for the exhaust's dB killer and it gets extremely loud. I had to change my riding style so as to not annoy the people around me and it never mattered if I was overtaken by a 100cc commuter or so.

When it comes to FE, I don't bother too much with it, but I'm more than happy with the 300km tank range that I get on my CBR250 and the 400 odd km range on the Etios petrol.

What I have learned over time (and after taking the bike to the track) is that braking in advance, and planning your overtakes and gear shifts add to good habits for excellent FE. I also realized that a speedo indicated 117 km/h on the bike provides and excellent balance of FE and time spent to travel on highways.

The trick to good FE is really excellent throttle and A-pedal control.
Old 7th December 2017, 13:24   #88
Senior - BHPian

Voted for NO.

In urban driving conditions, traffic is so dense my priority is not to have a look at the real-time fuel economy indicator but to watch out for traffic.
While on highways, efficiency in any case wont suffer as the safe cruising speeds on our roads is barely 100 kmph, a speed at which most cars will give good fuel efficiency.

That said, I have noted the fuel efficiency of my Swift VXi while coasting (30 kmpl) and brisk acceleration (around 12 kmpl).

Last edited by aaggoswami : 7th December 2017 at 13:32.
Old 7th December 2017, 15:51   #89
BHPian

My Grand i10 does not have any RTFE indicator & I never bothered about Real time mileage. In my view, mileage after a trip/full tank to full tank mileage makes more sense than real time mileage. Moreover, I feel, you need to keep your eyes off from the road for checking those magic figures, which can be dangerous at times. Rather I would prefer to enjoy the drive & calculate those figures after a trip/at the time of filling tank.
Old 7th December 2017, 16:37   #90
BHPian

Voted for 'No'.

Recently shifted from Ritz petrol to City Petrol. Before buying my own City, I had few chances to drive my cousin's 2002 City and 2006 Civic. Man, do Hondas sound sweet when you revv'em!

On highways, I usually drive at 100-120, keep the speed more or less constant and occasionally floor the pedal. I drove our Ritz the same way and don't feel my driving has changed in a bid to keep the odo light Green instead of Blue(In new Honda City, lights on console turn green while the car is being driven in economy and blue otherwise). Moreover, I had a frank discussion with wifey before booking City that we are going to spend much more on fuel than before and so far we have no regrets. Car is pretty new, has done 3500 kms(city+highway) so far and says it has been giving 12kmpl overall as per the reading on the console. Basically, nothing much has changed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks