Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2018, 19:33   #1
BHPian

My experience: Registering a new vehicle at a Kerala RTO without agents

Disclaimer: Please don't consider this as a "how-to" guide on doing the permanent registration of a brand new vehicle, since the information given below is solely based on my one time experience in doing the same for a new two wheeler. It could even be slightly different in another RTO in Kerala although the process in general should be the same. Please feel free to add more information or point out any mistakes found.

We recently bought a TVS Wego in our family and while negotiating the price, the dealer mentioned about adding Rs. 500 as agent commission for doing permanent registration. I hate bribes and commissions much like everyone else and for this reason, I thought of doing it on my own. The dealer happily discounted the agent charges. Of course, I was apprehensive of getting needlessly troubled by the govt officials for not doing something via the agent route, but I decided to take the risk with the backup plan of involving dealer agent in case it doesn't work out.
Documents required:
  1. Form 20, 21, 22
  2. Insurance original + copy
  3. Road tax payment receipt
  4. Temporary registration certificate
  5. Declaration form (in Malayalam)
  6. VIN/Chassis number pencil sketch
  7. Authorisation letter (not mandatory, read below)
  8. Vehicle invoice
  9. Fancy number reservation proceedings (if opted for)
  10. Original Aadhaar of registered owner and self-attested copy
  11. PAN card copy
  12. Envelope with 41 rupees stamp affixed
  13. FASTag (for cars)
If you have all the above, the whole process can be completed in around 15 mins. But it took more time for me as I missed some of the documents listed above.

I set out to the RTO on the new scooter on a weekday. There were two officers on duty. I initially showed the papers to one of them (the junior guy probably), who checked everything and told me about the missing chassis number sketch and the authorisation letter. He also told me to write the full address with phone number on the envelope which I hadn't written. I also missed to write down the chassis number and owner's name in the declaration form. All these took some time to be sorted and I showed all the papers once again to the same officer. He gave a go ahead and told me to show the papers to the senior officer. I approached the senior officer who inspected the scooter, verified the chassis number, engine number etc. and accepted the documents. That's it. The process was completed and I was out of the RTO in 30-40 mins. It would have taken maybe 15 mins max if I had taken all the documents in proper form in the beginning itself.

The registration number was allotted and updated in Kerala MVD website on the same day evening. And we received the RC card by Speed Post after around 3 weeks.

Unlike what I expected, the govt officers (MVIs) were quite supportive and not once did either of them make me regret the decision of not opting for an agent. Also, there were many people who came for the process without an agent. I was very much surprised at both these things. I talked to some of the people and we helped each other with stationery and stuff.

The process seemed mostly similar for private cars as well from what I saw. But, I cannot be 100% sure. If you can spare 15 mins of your time, I would suggest everyone to do this without an agent. It's not about the money saved, it's more about the little steps you can take to reduce corruption in the system. It's pretty straight forward and hardly takes any time.

Points to note:
  • The inspection timings are from 10am to 12pm. So plan your visit accordingly. Most probably, there won't be any rush as the process happens pretty quickly for each vehicle.

• Except for #6 & #7, all other documents were provided by the dealer themselves. I heard that the officers may check the order in which the documents are kept, but it wasn't a problem for me. The dealer handed over the documents in a certain order and I just added the ones I missed.

• Declaration form (#5): This is a single page form with some textual content written in Malayalam language. I didn't bother to read it and hence I'm not sure of the contents. "Declaration form" is just a term coined by me and the actual name of the form could be something else. We need to fill in the registered owner's name & VIN/chassis number of the vehicle in the particular fields on this paper. I think the dealer's name and (or) address is required as well, which was already filled by the dealer in my case.

• VIN/Chassis number sketch (#6): We need to get a pencil sketch of the chassis number on a plain white paper from the place where it is engraved on the vehicle body.

• Authorisation Letter (#7): Since the registered owner was not present during the process, I had to submit the Authorisation letter (#7) as well. This can be skipped otherwise.

• Aadhar (#9): A self-attested copy of the Aadhaar card needs to be submitted along with the documents and we need to show the original Aadhaar for verification purpose.

• Envelope (#10): Some people who were present there did not get the envelope from the dealer. I received it from the dealer with the required amount of stamps affixed. This envelope is used to send the RC card by post to the address of the registered owner. So if bought separately, the size must be adequate to fit in the laminated RC card.

• Please remember to collect the tax token from the RTO counter. This is issued on the same day itself AFAIK. Unfortunately, I missed this part and had to get a duplicate tax token later.

• It's advisable to carry couple of extra A4 papers, a pen & a stapler, just in case you need to fill a form after getting clarification or you need to reorder the forms and staple it again etc.

• This whole thing was done in an open space and there was no queue system followed. Whoever had the documents ready, approached the officers and got it done.
Some rants:

-It's kinda sad that a govt department with very good source of income asks us to even provide the envelope with stamps affixed to send the RC card. And this is when I read news articles almost every day about the lacs of rupees collected as fines imposed on vehicles for violation of traffic rules. The MVD is surely one of the highest revenue generator for Kerala state and these people still act so stingy.

-Initially, I was under the impression that the road tax figure is only a % of the ex-showroom price and even argued with the dealer as the amount mentioned in price quotation was not matching with the calculated data. But the dealer clarified it by showing a road tax payment receipt. In addition to the tax amount, we need to pay the following as well: Cess, Service Charge, Fees.

-The dealer had informed me to get the tax token from the RTO counter. But when I asked at the counter, the staff were totally unaware and nobody sounded informative on this. Maybe I approached the wrong people who handled something different. And then I met the MVIs who did the inspection and even they told me there was nothing left to do from my side and told me I could leave. I vaguely remember someone telling me that I will get it along with the RC card. But that didn't happen and I had to get a duplicate tax token later. This is such an irrelevant paper since all the details mentioned in it including the tax amount paid, the validity period etc is already mentioned in the RC card itself. But we still need to get this paper as well since the cops who do roadside checks ask for this.

-I couldn't get a tracking number of the RC card sent by Speed Post. I'm not sure if we can get it from the RTO itself. I heard that in some cases, it has taken more than a month to receive the RC card. I received an SMS from the MVD which was when the temporary registration was initiated by the dealer and expected timely SMS updates to follow as the process progressed. But there were no updates afterwards.

Last edited by BigBrad : 4th April 2018 at 13:43.
BigBrad is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 15:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: My experience: Registering a new vehicle at a Kerala RTO without agents

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 18:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My experience: Registering a new vehicle at a Kerala RTO without agents

Informative thread. I too had the experience of getting the registration done by myself for my wife's car, since she wanted a fancy looking number. Adding few more:

1) Yes, sad to see that we need to buy the stamp and envelope for them to courier the RC book. Ok, I wouldn't mind paying for it but it needs to be systematic and well organized. You never know from where to buy this at the RTO. Luckily, you will find many guys siting on the verandah with a briefcase. They will have all the stuff.
Tip:- Look for bunch of pens of different colors in their shirt pocket . They can also help you with the forms as well. Most of these guys refuse to take money for the information that they share.

2) The campus has got one of the biggest open grounds in the city and yet they conduct this inspection in the entrance. This is because this entrance is shady. So they just have this table and chair inside the covered car park. I had a tough time when I took the car. The place was a total chaos.

3) As stated, it's better to bring your own stationery and yes, I did carry a stapler with me. They simply didn't accept the forms in the wrong order so had to remove and staple it again. Since I was mad enough to carry a stapler that day, it did help a lot of people there.

4) The lack of a queue system is felt when you see the agents. These guys simply push forward and get the things done much faster.

Having said all these, if done properly this can be finished in under 15 mins.
naveen.raju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 23:53   #4
BHPian

Hello BigBrad,

Nice thread. Quite informative.

I believe govt offices in Kerala are better than they were 5 years back. But definitely from driving point of view, I'm sure Kerala is much better than most states in India.

Only thing I cannot agree with is expecting RTO to provide the envelope. Even in developed countries, they charge you for everything. For eg, in UAE if you go and register your car you pay knowledge fee, innovation fee and what not. I don't even know why they collect it but we pay it anyway. As Naveen pointed out, they can probably charge you for it and make the process easier for people by providing it from their office but since they are one of the highest earning dept doesn't mean anything. Just my humble opinion.

Cheers!
voyageur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 00:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

A useful write-up. I experienced this when I handled the registration of my RS as well without an agent. Apparently the dealers are duty bound to provide all the necessary documents in a bunch and usually have them ordered up well.

On the whole I saved some money and also learnt to navigate through the whole process. Some of my take-aways were;
1. Preparation - ensure that you know as much as the process as possible.
2. Budget enough time. I usually do this in every interaction with the government. Went to the RTO on a Saturday and early in the morning. This gives you enough time to deal with the unknowns. In my case a new document was introduced that stated that the car was not modified and another that listed the documents attached. Obviously these were not documented anywhere.
3. Understand the environment. Most RTOs in Kerala are pretty crowded with the number of new cars registered pretty high compared to the overall population. Paid the RTO a visit during a weekday and observed that the queue could easy take a couple of hours. Used the opportunity to ask a few questions at the enquiry as well.

All in all it proved to be a pretty easy affair taking around a couple of hours in all and with no monetary expense except for the stamps and envelopes.

My ask would be that the whole processed be clearly documented in their office as well as on sites so that people can easily understand what is required. I don't see why things like documentation of the order in which the forms are required cannot be written and displayed.

However another caveat is that these offices are really understaffed and registration agents provides the capability to register vehicles faster.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 00:38   #6
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this. I am sure many will benefit from this information.
I had done the registration of my bullet myself last year (March 2017). Adding my points to the thread.

I had taken the tax token from the RTO counter, which has a counterfoil to be pasted on one of forms 21 or 22 (Can't remember which one).

There is an order in which the forms has to be submitted. It was displayed in fairly large board at Calicut RTO ground, where the vehicle inspection is carried out.

One part of the declaration form says that you have received the mandatory accessories like helmet, saree guard, mirrors etc. with the vehicle from the dealer.

Envelope with the stamps was available at the juice shop just opposite the entrance of the Calicut RTO ground. I remember paying Rs. 50 for that.

The road tax amount dealers are charging includes the road tax, Cess, Service Charge, and the registration charges (temporary and permanent). These charges are clearly displayed in the Kerala MVD website.

I had only a colour printout of the e-Aadhaar (digitally verified) with me at that time for the verification (I also had the copy of the same). The MVD officials did not consider it as the original Aadhaar. So I had to go to the Civil station and get the e-Aadhaar attested for the MVD officials to verify.

The officials were very supportive and appreciated me for not going through the agent channel. Due to the attestation of e-Aadhaar, I was late to submit the forms (around 12.20), with the counters closed. They did not make an issue and gladly took my forms while they were on their way back to RTO office in the Bolero.
knightrider_7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 21:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
I had only a colour printout of the e-Aadhaar (digitally verified) with me at that time for the verification (I also had the copy of the same). The MVD officials did not consider it as the original Aadhaar. So I had to go to the Civil station and get the e-Aadhaar attested for the MVD officials to verify.
)
Is Aadhar compulsory for registration of a vehicle? Hasn't the Supreme Court stayed all compulsory use of Aadhar while the hearing is pending?
Old 8th April 2018, 21:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Is Aadhar compulsory for registration of a vehicle? Hasn't the Supreme Court stayed all compulsory use of Aadhar while the hearing is pending?
Not at all, as of now. I had changed my residence at that time and all my other ids were having the old address except Aadhaar.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 14:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
[*]Authorisation Letter (#7): Since the registered owner was not present during the process, I had to submit the Authorisation letter (#7) as well. This can be skipped otherwise.

Is there any specific format for the Authorization letter? I would appreciate if you could provide a sample one.
Old 24th May 2018, 17:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Is there any specific format for the Authorization letter? I would appreciate if you could provide a sample one.
No specific format I guess. Quoting what I wrote from my memory:

"I am authorising <full name of the person accompanying the vehicle> to complete the registration formalities of my newly purchased vehicle <make & model>, having chassis number <chassis number> in my absence. Request you to please proceed with the registration process for my vehicle. "

P.S: Please write it in Malayalam.

Last edited by BigBrad : 24th May 2018 at 17:33. Reason: Adding more info
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 19:14   #11
BHPian

I went to the registration of my FIL's new car couple of days back, this time to SRTO Taliparamba.

I went there on Wednesday and was informed that only RC owners are allowed to take tax token on Wednesday.

Although this was a day wasted for me, I suggest others to go on a Wednesday for registration since there was literally no crowd at all. Even at the inspection ground, there was just 30 two-wheelers and two cars (including ours).

The staff at the counter also told me that there is a separate form for authorization letter. It was available near the Akshaya center near the office. It was in English, where I had to fill the names of RC owner and the authorized person, along with their signature.

The next day morning, I reached the RTO office at 10.30 am and things were different. The RTO office was full of agents. But the staff at the counter give preference to customers with single application. Much to my amuse, no one checked the authorization letter.

I showed the papers at one of the counter, and they issued the tax token, which was printed on a light blue paper. It has a counterfoil, which has to be pasted on Form 20 (Application for Registration).

With this, I went to the inspection ground, which was some 6 km away from Taliparamba town (Near Kanhirangad).

The officer came at around 12.10 in the noon, with his two assistants. He asked everyone to wait near their vehicles.

His assistants checked the chassis number and engine number, reading it loudly, while the officer inspects the forms. All I had to do was just wait till he arrives to the car and open the bonnet. It was over within seconds!!!

At 5.30 pm, I checked the website and the number was there. There was a total of 134 allotted numbers!!!

I will list out the order of forms, which was stapled together (by the dealer).

1. Temporary registration certificate
2. Road tax receipt (printout): Bottom half copy belongs to the applicant.
3. Vehicle data sheet.
4. Form 21 (Sale certificate)
5. Form 22 (Initial PUCC)
6. Form 60 (if applicable)
7. Tax/Vehicle Invoice
8. Copy of Insurance certificate
9. Form 20 (Application for Registration of a motor vehicle): Get the required sign and seal from the financier on the last two pages of Form 20.
10. Proof of fitment of Fastag
11. Declaration form (Contains the request for temporary registration and declaration that we have paid the required fees)
12. Chassis number pencil print
13. Original Aadhaar and its self attested copy as ID proof and address proof.
14. Envelope to send the RC by post with Rs. 41 stamp.
15. Authorization letter (if needed)

Forms 1 to 11 were given by the dealer. Rest I had to arrange.

I had to paste the tax token counterfoil on Form 20 at Calicut RTO and Taliparamaba RTO. Not sure if this can be obtained from any RTO. I got it from SRTO Taliparamba, while the vehicle was bought from Calicut (with KL 11 temp. regn.).

It just takes half day for all theses things to be done. And you get to see a wide variety of vehicles in showroom condition.

Last edited by knightrider_7 : 2nd June 2018 at 19:23.
knightrider_7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 02:08   #12

With the information provided in this thread, I got my car registered at Trivandrum RTO today. The location for new vehicle registration is https://goo.gl/maps/zGpnMbquka32
haribabu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 20:42   #13
BHPian

The process has changed a little now that HSRPs are mandatory.

The dealer provides the relevant papers, i.e., those mentioned in previous posts in this thread. Do remember to take pencil prints of the Chassis/VIN number. Most dealers leave this for the owners to do.

The new cars are taken for inspection. For Trivandrum, the location is that mentioned in the post above. The time for inspection is between 9 - 11am. By evening of the same day you should be able to see check the registration status and number assigned on Vahan website using your Application number - https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...n_status.xhtml
Don't worry if it doesn't show up the same day, mine showed the next day.

Once the registration number is assigned call up the dealer about the HSRP, the HSRP will be provided by the dealer. So, no more fancy number plates!

Once the HSRP is riveted onto the car, the dealer updates the same on Vahan portal and the folks at MVD then get to work and send the RC to your address.
vik99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 13:04   #14
BHPian

Hi, not sure whether this is the right place to post this but I recently did registration for my vehicle via Vahan site and I participated in a bid for a fancy number and paid 3k. But I lost the bidding, so took the free default number, but I haven't received my refund yet? It's been a month, does anyone know how long it takes to get refund?
Old 8th April 2020, 18:40   #15
BANNED

I also registered my bike at Thripunithura RTO without any agent's help.

All of my docs were stapled in order by the dealer. I went to vehicle inspection at 9 AM and finally to submit the docs at the office by 12 PM. The entire ordeal took 40 mins(excluding the journey).

Got the RC card after 25 days!

Don't forget:
  1. Your Address Proof
  2. PAN Card(very important)
Here is a pic of the docs required:
Attached Thumbnails
My experience: Registering a new vehicle at a Kerala RTO without agents-img_20191121_150302.jpg  

mithun is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks