Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 12:47   #16
BHPian

re: The straightest roads in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
However, on whole, NH4 does have its share of straight sections at least for 3-4 km at many places here and there that I can think of.
Yes Parag, I agree with you here and all the routes you mentioned in an earlier post, but only if we limit it to a max of 7-8 kms. Sawantwadi bypass on NH17 is definitely a 17 kms "dead straight" stretch or atleast 8-9 kms out of this is ! Since OP quoted 40-50 kms, I had to differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hubli-Dharwad by-pass is not really that straight - the ups & downs change the profile to add that variety.[/list]
Exactly my point
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 12:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

There's that crazy straight stretch just before you enter Leh from the Srinagar side right? Obviously not very long compared to the expressways and stuff, but that great stretch coming right after the broken and winding roads that you go over before you hit that one, make it seem slightly surreal!

The Ahmedabad-Vadodara is indeed a good straight road. Nice in a car, but terribly boring when you're on a bike!
Old 5th September 2018, 13:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The ones in US / Australian outback .. so many ! You dont need to hold a string, but long enough to go in one direction, with the road in view unblocked by the hillocks on the way.
Oh no. Please don't refer to roads elsewhere lest we intend to change the title and replace India with 'World'. I know how straight the roads are in the US and Europe.

Here we are referring to straight roads (or stretches) in India. The only thing that one may want to then start debating is whether it is arrow straight or appears like a bow when view on the map with long left or right handed curves. However, for a fact, there are many many examples where we can easily say the roads are dead straight without any doubts and that includes Hubli Dharwad bypass as well at many sections. If we were to look for roads that are straight for 40-50 km stretch in India, the list will obviously get shorter but whatever has been listed has fair share (and longer sections) of what you can call 'Straight Roads'.

And the best attribute that describes straight roads is where today one can easily use cruise control for a longer duration and I know for sure how many listed here qualify for that, especially dual carriageways.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 13:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not sure - I fall asleep after 5 kms on straights!
Me too.

For me, Bangalore - Hyderabad is very boring. And so is Tumkur - Hubli. So much so that I was drowsy even when I was riding my bike.

Another one, Bhubaneswar - Vizag.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 14:09   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know which is the longest straight road in India, but I just remembered one bit of trivia from Kolkata:

The longest straight road in Kolkata is BB Ganguly Street, formerly known as Bowbazar Street, where on a clear day without traffic, one can see one end of the road from the other.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 14:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Nice in a car, but terribly boring when you're on a bike!
I have driven on the Ahmedabad - Vadodara Expressway umpteen number of times, after a couple of drives, it becomes boring even in a car. But yea, it has some great straight stretches as we all have been suggesting.

- Ahmedabad - Vadodara Expressway doesn't allow bikes.
R-Six is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 14:16   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Ahmedabad - Vadodara Expressway doesn't allow bikes.

You're right, my bad. I mean the alternate highway route too between those two cities, that's a pretty awesome road too. Have done both on car and bike, was comparing the journeys.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 16:33   #23
BHPian

Straight roads I have driven on are the Yamuna expressway and the Agra-Lucknow expressway. The Latter is not concrete but tarmac so you are relieved of the constant drone from tires!
Old 5th September 2018, 16:48   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Oh no. Please don't refer to roads elsewhere lest we intend to change the title and replace India with 'World'.
Parag - you missed that similarly long stretch right in our neighborhood !! That long stretch after Hubli by-pass start is about 17 km. Just short of that is a stretch of 16 km of NICE road starting from the NH-4 end !
Old 5th September 2018, 16:51   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That long stretch after Hubli by-pass start is about 17 km. Just short of that is a stretch of 16 km of NICE road starting from the NH-4 end !
And the link road that connects from the cloverleaf till PESIT will also quality for this for sure, around 8 Kms.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 17:10   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The ones I've driven:
The Banglore Hyderabad road. It has many 10Kms pieces of arrow straight boring roads.
Then we have the BETL inside Bangalore which is 10Kms again
The NE1 in Gujarat is another straight road which I've driven
Yamuna Expressway is not very straight IMO

The ones I've not driven
Since many days I've one such road in my Bucket list which is the NH62 between SriGanganagar and Suratgarh in Rajasthan.
It is a 60Km straight road and the longest in our country I guess. Obviously since it is a Desert it's possible to build such a straight road.
The straightest roads in India-capture1.jpg

No wonder the longest straight road in the world is in another desert country-Saudi Arabia. The 'Highway 10' is a 250Kms long straight road

The straightest roads in India-capture.jpg

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 5th September 2018 at 17:16.
hemanth.anand is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 17:10   #27
BHPian

Now that we have started including straight roads of upto 8 kms, we cannot forget the superb stretch between end of Lonavala town and HP COCO / Sagar Hotel on Mumbai--Pune Expressway. This is definitely and literally a "dead straight" that measures 8.5 kms !!

After the ardous task of ascending and negotiating through some really heavy traffic starting from Khalapur Foodmall , extending all along the curves and tunnels of Khandala ghat ( this is some 15 kms ), most of the times bumper to bumper nearing the Amrutanjan bridge and then once you get past Lonavala and hit this stretch that I am talking about, it feels like total "freedom" ! I am about to drive solo in my Polo from Bombay to Belgaum ( 500 kms ) in an hour now, expecting some action on our lovely NH-4. Fun to drive at night
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 18:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why no-one mentioned that amazing road of Moore plains of Manali-Leh highway. Yes, It has some minor curves but its almost straight for more than 25 km.

The straightest roads in India-img_4000.jpg

SJM1214 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 19:01   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It is a 60Km straight road and the longest in our country I guess. Obviously since it is a Desert it's possible to build such a straight road.
Attachment 1796342

No wonder the longest straight road in the world is in another desert country-Saudi Arabia. The 'Highway 10' is a 250Kms long straight road

Attachment 1796341
What cracked me up were the time estimates for both those screenshots - the one in India uses my personal metric of 60 km/h, the one in Saudi is twice that.
arunphilip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 19:16   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
I wonder why no-one mentioned that amazing road of Moore plains of Manali-Leh highway. Yes, It has some minor curves but its almost straight for more than 25 km.
Again a miss indeed. The roads on Moore plains are like celebrating independence after driving in crawling speeds till Pang when doing Manali Leh in that directions and this is exactly when we remembered we could actually slot in 5th gear and get into and drive at 3 digit speeds for quite a distance and straight!

(The only thing that needs to change is the opening post where it is mentioned that the straight road has to be for 40-50 kms for which we will have lesser example though not limited)

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th September 2018 at 19:18.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks