Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:22   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lucknow: SUV driver refuses to stop car; shot dead by cops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Post the reception [my lady colleague and I] decided to head to an late evening movie; our mode of transport being my parent's Activa. The movie ended around 10ish and we took the route back via the Marina beach. There was a cop check point stopping all vehicles (which was at the most a few cars and bikes on the road). It probably helped as I could speak the local language, I explained to them about the marriage and the movie show post that. I was upfront and honest and told her about being out of town, and a guest at my place. Can't remember if we had the movie stubs; but they accepted my explanation and asked us to proceed home.
It does still point to a wider problem with policing in India, and begs the question why you had to explain yourselves at all. If you were not breaking any traffic rules, and if there was no perceived law & order threat, then there is no reason for any of us to have to justify or explain ourselves to our brethren in khaki.

Ideally, we should just have to respond in the following manner:
"Who are you?" Produce ID.
"Who is she?" Produce ID.
"What is your relationship" "That does not concern you".
"Why are you driving around at this time?" "Because I can".
Realistically, it's a different story!

(Small aside: In fact, the K'taka high court even put a halt to the B'lore police's habit of flagging down two wheelers just to perform documentation checks, stating that unless they had just cause to halt a vehicle, they could not do so.)
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
I myself wont get out of a car in UP so late in the night even if a person seemingly dressed in police uniform told me to; especially if there is a woman in car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
How many times am I ever waved to stop?
Only twice till date
There are reports that the constable was in plain clothes. If that is the case, 2 guys on a bike with a gun at 1:30 AM in the night does make a scary proposition.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:35   #33
BHPian

I don’t see a connection between morality and the right to getting shot at.
Does judging someone make it easier/correct to carry out acts of oppression on them?
Shanmd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:15   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Of all the people atleast we (BHpians) shouldn't be thinking at such personal level.
If we think about what could be the reason for cops stopping the occupants of the car or hitting the car with a lathi, then it is important to know what exactly could be the primary motivating factor for them to do so.

Quote:
cops can't have only two options, either lathi or gun.
Completely agree and what actually disturbed me is the question that who gave the constable a pistol? As per the rulebook, neither a constable is trained to use a pistol, nor are they allowed to carry one.

Quote:
The details are sketchy but the good news is there is CCTV footage.
That I will post later but there is a gap of 50 minutes between both the vehicles crossing the area and the point of time they met - about 2 kilometers away from the CCTV camera location; that means the car was definitely at a stopped position because even at idle in first gear; an XUV moves at 7 kph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
that a pistol was placed on the windshield of the car and fired, to hit him in the side of the neck below his ear.
This is only where every statement goes wrong. Sana said that he parked the motorcycle and fired towards the moving car, the constable said that he was lying on the ground and then fired.

XUV is not a Maruti Omni, it has a bonnet long enough that even a seven footer also can't do this standing in front of the car and if the pistol was put on the glass then that means the man who shot was standing next to the front wheel and had enough time to put the pistol, aim and then shoot (Can be done only on a stationary car) - it must be dark inside the car and for doing this the constable needed the time. That said, I believe that the bullet wasn't fired putting pistol nozzle on the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
whatever it maybe it is not a crime except in the eyes of medieval cops who still use the phrase 'compromising position'!!
Actually it is indeed not a crime, but at the same time IPC doesn't allow anyone to get 'cozy' in public places and getting 'cozy' inside the car in a public place 'probably' fells in the same category.

That said, my dash cam has the video recorded of a very funny incident that probably lasted for 10 minutes on Delhi-Gurgaon stretch and happened in the middle of the day - the i20 was waved by the cops near ambience mall and that's when I actually realized that there were 2 occupants in the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

Getting small children involved for sympathy factor is despicable.
This is the new low IMO, but hey - that's how social media works. If this constable is saved and social media gives him a thumbs up for any reason; I will prefer to prepare this as a case study for social media marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
so that should put the affair/make-out rumour to rest
Even if it was an affair, then also nothing wrong - my concern is how the 50 minutes gap was filled in such a short distance? Actually if we go by the CCTV footage, that means when this guy informed his wife that he just left launch event and will reach home in half an hour; that time he was actually in Gomti Nagar

Here is the video:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/66028762.cms

Quote:
What is shocking is a fund has been created for the accused with already 5.5L arriving in donation within 24 hours .
More than 6.5 as of now and that is consistently increasing, I am well aware of the background of this guy and his wife (They belong to a place near to my village) and there is no dearth of support for him - and IMO that is the worst activity going on as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Cops are not supposed to deliver justice, we can leave that to courts.
For that things need to reach the court sir, the theory of 'what if' is what is followed by all the law implementing forces, peace is actually maintained by aversing the crime and not by investigating it. A crime that has happened is a failure and a crime that has been prevented is actually a success. If I am plain and right, I will come out of my car and tell the cop that this is me and you can ask whatever you wish and I will tell only what I wish to.

Example: I have never shown the car docs to a constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
There are reports that the constable was in plain clothes.
The CCTV footage, although not clear - but has enough evidence that they were in uniform. Look at their shoulder section and you will get it.

Last edited by VKumar : 2nd October 2018 at 09:17.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

It appears that there is more to it than meets the eye.
https://www.republicworld.com/the-debate
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
It appears that there is more to it than meets the eye.
https://www.republicworld.com/the-debate
Not the most authoritative of sources there.
Let the trial of this constable wrap up and we can then see what the facts are.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 15:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

The two constables (involved in the incident) are not brand ambassadors of the state police.

So says the head of the police department, as per a report published in Financial Express.
Quote:
We are not trigger-happy but people-friendly. Why did they shoot a person without a firearm? They have been arrested and dismissed (from service). A few such in the force should not be defining the culture of the force
Perhaps rightly identifying the cause of such incidents, he elaborates:
Quote:
For the past couple of years, training was not imparted properly... The training was not professional and there was no emphasis on behavioural training
Quote:
We are going to hold refresher course...our emphasis will be on behavioural training... we have also embarked on systemic reforms through behavioural training and humanisation of the force
However, he maintains his stand on the reprehensive behaviour of the two cops involved in the shootout.
Quote:
We are determined to punish and wean out such rogues in uniform who hang our heads in shame
Meanwhile, the post mortem report seems to suggest that the victim succumbed to his injury 55 minutes after being shot at. Had he been shifted to the hospital sooner, there could have been hopes of survival.
Quote:
Vivek Tiwari (38) was alive for around 55 minutes before succumbing to the bullet wound, but police failed to get him medical attention in this crucial period, post-mortem examination findings suggest
Hindustan Times
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 17:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

So no timely move to the hospital. This is one recurring thing in this country for every death that happens on the road. Either the public does not do it or the ambulance doesnt come.
In this case penal action should be taken since its the police and they are not supposed to act this way.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks