Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2019, 16:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Acid attack on cars parked at Vasant Kunj, Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Looks more like a case of pure vandalism...
+ 1 to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

I'm wondering how they got access to such large amounts of acid...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Supreme Court had banned free acid sale in 2013. Despite such a ban news reports say acids are freely available over the counter and there is no such feel of any ban anywhere....
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Doesnt need HCL or H2So4 (pure or diluted) to do this extent of damage.
Even your harmless DOT3 or DOT4 can penetrate to deep till steel surface past lacquer, PU paint and Primer! ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Rather than acid or brake fluid this seems to be the result of using a paint stripper....
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
....I wonder what concoction the saint used to baptise these cars. HCl/H2SO4 solution, perhaps....
I believe you can still get the acid based cleaners for toilets and tiles from any grocery store, they are pretty strong solutions of acids and entirely capable of doing such damage.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 18:44   #32
BHPian

Re: Car Vandalism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshshukla92 View Post
How can someone stoop so low? My heart cries to see that mini cooper in such a sorry state. I hope the culprits get nabbed. May better sense prevail.
Why only Cooper? A car is a car. The Tigor is as loved as the Mini by the owner, if not more.

The intolerance and hatred is increasing to new levels. Not sure where as a society we are heading towards. Increasing the punishments seems to be the only option. Sadly!
rangarx is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 23:39   #33
BHPian

Extremely sad to see such acts in our country. Cheap thrills for the culprit but extremely saddening for the ones at the receiving end.

Does insurance cover such instances (both TP and Comprehensive)?
YakubKC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 08:23   #34
BANNED

That’s sad. The culprit might be a sadist. Wishing all the affected cars ‘get well soon’. Thank god, it is just a parking issue.

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2019 at 11:24. Reason: Strictly no politics on the forum please, not even indirectly
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 09:48   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Not sure where as a society we are heading towards.
I think that's reading too much into things.

Mindless vandalism of a row of cars is really nothing new. Agreed, this is at a whole different level, but I can recall rows of mirrors smashed, windows smashed and of course long scratches down the sides of several cars all through the years. Nothing new or specific to these times. Heck it's even happened in basement parking! One afternoon, I saw a kid just pick up a stone and walk along a couple of neighbor's cars scratching them, I yelled at him and he ran, but it was obvious that he was just doing it out of boredom. (Obviously: terrible actions, not justified in any way.)

Were these cars parked inside a gated community? Or just on a public road? Can't tell from the pics. Glad I have covered parking inside at home. I never feel safe parking a car on the road overnight. (Though even covered parking is not absolute. A couple of kids once jumped the gate and stood on the roof of the car to get their ball which had bounced inside. Pity their parents don't teach them to just ring the bell and ask.)

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2019 at 11:25. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 10:42   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
That’s sad. The culprit might be a sadist. Wishing all the affected cars ‘get well soon’. Thank god, it is just a parking issue
We all car lovers, including me and you feel anguished by such acts. However, the underlying tone of your post seems out of place for this discussion and certainly for this forum. Apologies, if that wasn't the case.

Regarding folks thinking if sale of acid is banned in certain states then how could the culprit get hold of such stuff, then remember, lead acid batteries are a common commodity sold and discarded freely and frequently.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2019 at 11:25. Reason: Editing quoted post
saket77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 13:20   #37
BHPian

Its not acid. Its a Paint remover. Easily available in any paints store. Have been thru similar experience when a neighboring business (He had a paint Store) got irritated and poured paint remover on my car. Basically a paint removal doesn`t work instantaneously. Its poured and left to dry. Couple of hours later the paint comes off leaving the bare metal exposed.
Abbas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 14:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Why am I not surprised?

I have been a victim myself of similar vandalism in the past, in same area (I used to live in Saket back then). link to my original post (My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!)

In good probability, this is nothing but shameful display of frustration about parking slots. That was the case with me, I also filed a FIR, and police did nothing; it is simply not worth their time... and hence even more encouragement to such behavior. And we call this the better part of our city with better civic sense. I feel for the owners.
Ace F355 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 15:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakubKC View Post

Does insurance cover such instances (both TP and Comprehensive)?
A comprehensive insurance policy will definitely cover the repairs of such damage when supported by an FIR.
Kashish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 21:16   #40
BANNED

I hope you have not seen the smiley that is there in my post, browser cache issue may be. If you have already seen that, then I think taking a sarcasm seriously is nothing but, (quoting yourself)
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I think that's reading too much into things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Apologies, if that wasn't the case.
Apologies accepted. I thought the smiley itself is sufficient to mark the comment as sarcasm. I should have added one more hashtag #sarcasmdonttakeitseriously
Old 17th April 2019, 22:55   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from the brake fluid theory, the stuff used could be plain and simple dot 4. Once I spilled some on my motorcycle's fender and the result was identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Apologies accepted. I thought the smiley itself is sufficient to mark the comment as sarcasm. I should have added one more hashtag #sarcasmdonttakeitseriously
for the clarity. And I was left wondering why irrationally drag such irrelevant polity into a totally different subject matter.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 07:56   #42
BHPian

That is such a horrendous thing to do!.

What is scarier is the perpetrator of this act of vandalism got access to the acid, if it really is acid that is. There are far too many victims of acid attacks in the country. I hope the authorities take cognisance of its seriousness and see it to the proper closure.

I wonder if acts of vandalism is covered by insurance usually. I hope it is, for the sake of the car owners. Sad indeed!.
Old 18th April 2019, 23:43   #43
BHPian

Atrocious behaviour indeed on the part of the perpetrator. If it is indeed a case of parking dispute there must have been some prior incidents. So it would not be difficult to narrow down to some suspects.
Old 22nd April 2019, 19:23   #44

Really sad to see such state of the cars. I really feel for the owners!
Why do such people even exist! Really a shameful and sadist act!

I do not think the cops will do something about it. If there are CCTV in the surroundings, only they can provide some help/clue!
Old 22nd April 2019, 22:49   #45
BHPian

It's hard to imagine how the owners of these car's felt when they first saw their car like this. It's very common to see incidents like these in the streets, using Acid is on the heavier side, people generally put scratches on your car or puncture the tires when they are angry. Due to uncertainties like these i recommend comprehensive insurance for everyone no matter how old the car is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks