Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2019, 14:30   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi BHPians: How has the odd-even scheme affected you?

Now Supreme Court is not happy with the results of Odd-Even scheme.

Delhi BHPians: How has the odd-even scheme affected you?-screenshot_20191115142736__01.jpg

Delhi BHPians: How has the odd-even scheme affected you?-screenshot_20191115143420__01__01.jpg

Delhi BHPians: How has the odd-even scheme affected you?-screenshot_20191115143409__01.jpg

Delhi BHPians: How has the odd-even scheme affected you?-screenshot_20191115143427__01.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 15th November 2019 at 14:34.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 10:37   #47
BANNED

Supreme Court: Delhi should consider 'car planning'.

A policy limiting cars per family will need the Center and the Delhi government to take on board the SC’s observation that the capital’s pollution levels require measures much more “substantive” than odd-even, which the bench critiqued as “half-baked”. If governments follow through what the court observed, Delhi will join a few Chinese cities in capping car buying.
  • “Maybe we should have car planning like family planning,” the bench said.
  • “Rationalize use of cars,” said the court nudging both the central and state governments to come up with urgent steps to deal with the pollution situation.
  • The judges didn’t let it rest there. Mukul Rohatgi, lawyer for the Delhi government, had to defend his car usage. Justice Arun Mishra remarked that those owning 5-10 cars have both odd and even registration numbers and are able to circumvent the odd-even scheme.
  • “You have 10 cars,” Justice Mishra told Rohtagi. The lawyer replied: “I don’t have 10 cars.” The lawyer said he travels less than 5 km every day from his house to the Supreme Court. “My house is only three kilometers away, he said.
  • Justices Arun Mishra and Deepak Gupta were in no mood to relent, however. They upbraided the Delhi government for providing too many exemptions on the odd-even scheme, which they said hasn’t had any significant impact on pollution levels.
  • “This is a half-baked thing. Why the exemptions?” Justice Gupta observed during the hearing as the presiding judge Justice Mishra demanded facts and figures on the impact of the odd-even scheme.
Source: ET Auto
Old 16th November 2019, 11:35   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Love when lawyers become environmental engineers and tree huggers overnight and target the least resistant (hence weakest) link of the societal chain, you know, one with whom there are no voting obligations and one who will not join forces with own kind to protest something.

BTW, I'm happy if cars sell less, but will it solve all pollution problems on earth? Not by a hundred miles.

Industries anyone? Thermal energy plants? Food processing? Refineries?

Stubble burning the 10,000 kg elephant in the room is being ignored because the creature has gotten so big that people forgot it exists.

Ok, lets put our heads back in the sand and become self-blaming victims.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 11:51   #49
Team-BHP Support

Had this argument elsewhere.

It's a toxic (pun intended) self-sustaining loop of lacking the will to tackle the real problems, the real problems having no current practical alternatives (loop back to lack of will to set these alternatives up when thing weren't desperate), and of course cheap gestures for short-term wins because why not ride the gravy train while one can?

There's no real solution that won't cause pain, and nobody's willing to strike the first blow because those impacted won't take it quietly. The problem with that though, the Venn diagram of those impacted and those that will eventually retaliate in desperation is getting close to becoming a circle.
Old 17th November 2019, 23:03   #50
BHPian

First of all what should be acknowledged by everyone is that the major source of the pollution at this time of the year is stubble burning.
Keeping this in mind there is very little room for what Delhi (& thereby Delhi govt) can do to control pollution.
One can view Odd even scheme in this light. It won't reduce pollution much but this scheme has its own use. At the least it creates awareness for Delhites to do something about pollution instead of cribbing and doing nothing.
Those cribbing about exemptions to two wheelers or such should come with an alternative plan or suggestions. Every one knows that one can not police tens of millions of two-wheelers.
As for me, I have an even numbered car and my brother an odd number. Normally we both go to same office in our own cars. But during odd even we obviously car-pooled. Now traffic was lesser during the scheme and driving was not stressful as it normally is in Delhi. Also finding parking spots was easier. Also we have decided to continue car-pooling. Let's see how it turns out.
neeraj0272 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 13:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

A quick question - Is the Odd even scheme still on ? I fly out from Delhi on 25th Monday and need to leave from Agra.

My Innova is a even numbered vehicle and the Odd number vehicle is old.

Are out side cars coming to airport exempt from scheme ?

Just trying to wrap my head around this
Old 19th November 2019, 13:13   #52
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
A quick question - Is the Odd even scheme still on ? I fly out from Delhi on 25th Monday and need to leave from Agra.
The Odd even scheme ended on 15th Nov. Currently it is not on. However, since 25th is 1 week away stay updated with the latest news.
Quote:
Outside cars are not exempted. All have to follow odd-even when the scheme is on.

Last edited by J4J : 19th November 2019 at 13:26. Reason: Grammatical error corrected.
J4J is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 14:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My Innova is a even numbered vehicle and the Odd number vehicle is old.

Just trying to wrap my head around this
Don't worry the scheme has ended and I don't see it coming back till next winter or not at all ever judging by SC responses against it.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks