Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2019, 11:10   #16

Re: Delhi BHPians: How has the odd-even scheme affected you?

I for one have experienced decrease in the traffic volume and increased parking space for my car on Odd days. For the even days i have a scooter to run about. I dont know about the pollution levels but waiting time on traffic lights have definitely reduced, in turn hopefully decreasing the idle fuel burning at the lights.

My 2 cents
Steppenwolf1978 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:41   #17
BHPian

Thanks for starting this thread, GTO.

We have two cars at home, an odd-numbered and an even-numbered. The even-numbered car is used by me for daily office commutes. On odd-days, I have to go through a lot of ordeal and have been doing 8 AM -8 PM shift, since the scheme is applicable between those hours only. As for my father who uses an odd-numbered car, he is taking a cab on even days, or working from home. Since I am new to this job, I'm not entitled to take so many WFH's.

This inconvenience aside, I have noticed a significant drop in traffic. Commuting on even days is a breeze, with only major sections of the city being chocked with jams. The only issue I have with this scheme is.......there is no scientific backing to support this scheme! Moreover, the exemption of women drivers and two-wheelers appalls me. While the exemption of female drivers is nothing but a case of pure bias and appeasement, the exemption of two-wheelers lacks any scientific backing, and again, it looks like a case of pure bias and a motivated political agenda.

Overall, in my case at least, the cons outweigh the pros easily. For me, the implementation of the odd-even scheme has been highly inconvenient and dissatisfying. On the upside, I have seen a surge in my car's fuel efficiency
Utsav3010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 11:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Fortunately, I have one even and one odd number car and only one car goes to Delh.....t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Haven't affected me at all. Have both odd and even number cars so that's sorted.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Well, we managed a 3 km drive back home with me in the rear footwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
We had two odd and one even number cars. I sold one odd number car in the last week of october, so now we have one odd and one even...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
We have 2 cars one with odd number & other with even number. This time I didn't had to travel to Delhi or cross it, but last time I was working in Delhi & would take other car on alternate days.

Actually had taken number based on the number of other car.
Isn't this defeating the whole idea of introducing odd/even scheme? Why do we have a habit of dodging, cheating and find ways to defeat the rules and system. It's similar to what we people do while waiting in the queue which is time-consuming and inconvenient a bit but becomes frustrating when others start jumping the queue by using agents/touts, make lame excuses or use female members of the family just to get priority and completely defeat the purpose of having a queue.

I can totally understand that odd/even is inconvenient but so does the polluted air. Also, I agree with the fact that its effectiveness can be debated but we cannot deny that one less car on road = one less car pollution.

I have both odd/even cars at home including a two-wheeler but my brother and dad decided to either carpool or use public transport to ensure they skip using the car on alternate days.

PS: No offense to anyone here on TBhp. Just sharing my opinion.
grevvity is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 12:27   #19
BHPian

I always avoid driving in Delhi in any case. With one of the world’s best and cheapest metro networks, why would anyone want to drive? I simply take the metro to the nearest point and then walk, take Uber or an auto-rickshaw as needed. Even when I do drive, I park at some strategic multi level parking and then move around with public transport. So there has been no impact on me whatsoever. Of course people needing to work at night would need to drive but the restrictions are not in place at night. People complain about connectivity hassles but driving and parking are much bigger hassles.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 12:40   #20
BHPian

Traffic is less but I experienced abnormally crazy driving at 7.30 am on all days I was driving towards Sonipat. People were in a mad rush to meet the 8.00 am deadline.

And then, terrible rush at 8.00 pm to enter back in Delhi.
avingodb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 12:43   #21
BHPian

Odd even scheme has been more of a farce and seems only to satisfy ego and prove that it works, which is debatable and also if effective does it by very negligible margin, whereas the pollution in entire NCR region is 100X the normal case. in delhi the major pollution contributor are dust particles and not actually the black smoke that we generally associate with pollution. the entire delhi ncr is a rustic dusty place and the location makes it more vulnerable during this season particularly.

The odd even this year has been only for 7-8 working days if you exclude sundays, and 2 days holiday for guru purab and first day was trial run. Also account that 2 wheelers and ladies were exempted. Commercial vehicles are all CNG but still they were banned. Private cars ply mostly to and fro offices at most. Rest all were anyway exempted.
xway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 13:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I can not comment on this odd even scheme as I was not in Delhi.
Last time was 2015/16 there about. I had a company car and driver and that meant I just got a different rental for the weeks we could not drive my company car.

We used to live in Vasant Vihar with my office in Gurgaon, Cybercity. I can not say I noticed any difference in the traffic, delays or otherwise during odd-even regime compared to normal.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 17:35   #23
BHPian

I haven't been to Delhi during the odd-even 'drama' but will share my close cousin's story. He is a lawyer and stays in Noida. His work requires him to visit various parts of Delhi on a daily basis. His dad owns a factory in Noida. They had two cars, both odd numbered. When this scheme was started, he simply bought another car with an even number. This, quite simply, defeats the entire purpose of the already not-so-fruitful exercise. But, in the end, when the Govt doesn't care, why should he.
God help humanity !!
drive2eternity is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 17:35   #24
BANNED

I have two cars and both have an even number ending and I have crossed Delhi twice on odd number days, that too twice a day. No problem at all. Probably nobody is thinking of enforcing Odd-Even on the route I travel on. Which route?
Ghaziabad - Hindon Elevated Road - UP Gate - Sarai Kale Khan - Barapullah Elevated Road - AIIMS - Dhaula Kuan - Gurgaon

And returned from the same route itself.

What is interesting is the fact that cops have been found checking vehicles for over speeding, odd-even etc on the road, right at the point of left turn for Sarai Kale Khan from the Delhi - Meerut expressway! It's just that I take left every time and see that cops are checking the vehicles on the adjacent right hand side road.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 19:07   #25
BHPian

A bit of promotion here, for a company that is really loved in Bangalore

Please try Quick Ride app, you can carpool very easily between DLF and Gurgaon residences for sure
Old 12th November 2019, 19:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
Isn't this defeating the whole idea of introducing odd/even scheme? Why do we have a habit of dodging, cheating and find ways to defeat the rules and system.
Since this thread is not to talk about merits/demerits, I will only say that rules that cannot practically be enforced, and have a lot of "exemptions", may be heavily counter productive. People would be in no mood to oblige, especially if they think that it is unfairly targeting them, and they see others happily driving around due to exemptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
I have both odd/even cars at home including a two-wheeler
Erm, I hope you see the contradiction in thought here.
Old 12th November 2019, 20:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
PearlJam;4691728 I will only say that rules that cannot practically be enforced..
I would say it can be enforced provided all of us understand the purpose of it is not to put us in trouble but for the sake of our health and environment. Many other nations have implemented something similar in past with some promising results. I agree with the fact that it is a half baked attempt but I see this as a start with possibilities to earn and improve.

Quote:
Erm, I hope you see the contradiction in thought here.
We own these vehicles across my joint family and we all make sure to follow the odd-even rules and only use a single car (even-numbered) and park all the odd ones till the rule is under enforcement. We are not switching to odd-even numbered cars.
Old 12th November 2019, 22:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Both my cars are even so just swapped one of my cars with my close friend and Bhpian who had 2 odd cars. I generally work from home and it's not that I needed a car, but I didn't want to be handicapped because of this stupid rule.
Old 12th November 2019, 23:08   #29
BHPian

I live in a joint family, consisting of 6 cars and coincidentally we have 3 odd and 3 even cars! :P
That said, out of our 3 cars, 2 are odd and 1 is even. Since 2 cars are used everyday (one by me and one by my dad), odd days weren't of any issue but I had to travel to college in a bus on an even day. Hence, affected a little bit. Although significant improvement of traffic was observed in my locality.
My relatives had a huge problem since my cousin's wedding functions went from 5th to 10th of November and all of their cars have the number 0090! Hence odd days were a tough time for them.
But I still can't agree that odd even has helped in improving the air quality here.

Last edited by DPetrolHead : 12th November 2019 at 23:10.
DPetrolHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 23:18   #30
BHPian

30-40% less traffic and significant reduction in travel time for me from Gurgaon to Delhi and return. I am sure it would have some impact on the vehicular pollution though the main culprit is burning of stubble. I don't mind this at all. I have two even number cars and use Uber on odd dates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks