Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2019, 08:08   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Delhi BHPians: How has the odd-even scheme affected you?

Just read this article & was wondering how our Delhi BHPians are coping with the odd-even scheme?

Do you have a second car at home? Has your commute time increased? Are you car-pooling or using public transport more? Are employers offering the work-from-home option on more days?

Note: This thread isn't to discuss the merits or demerits of the scheme. Just for Delhi BHPians to share how it has affected their life. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 09:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi BHPians: How has the odd-even scheme affected you?

I have two cars, both with nos ending on an odd no (2469 and 3469). I live in Ghaziabad and my workplace is in Noida. The best route is via entering Delhi. Now during even days I take an alternative route which is slightly longer but skip entering Delhi.

The scheme should have been implemented in Delhi-NCR and not only in Delhi to have some actual effect. Even on odd days when I am travelling through Delhi I am not able to see any substantial change in quantum of traffic.

The two wheelers should have also been included in the purview of this to have some real world effect.

If the Delhi Govt was as serious about this as they are about advertising it. There are hoardings, transit media, bus shelter advertisment everywhere about this odd even scheme.
BANDHAV is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 09:53   #3
BHPian

I am simply hiring a car.. no odd-even for commercial vehicle, even if it is a diesel vehicle. So, in short.. no effect

Interestingly, odd-even is applicable for CNG powered private vehicle as well.

Private vehicles to an extent are far better maintained then commercial vehicles.

Failed to understand the logic of odd-even this time.

Last edited by gutsy : 9th November 2019 at 09:54.
gutsy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 10:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

Both our cars have an odd-ending reg. no. so that limits our entry in Delhi. However, since bulk of the traveling is in Gurgaon, it hasn't affected yet.

One saving grace:

Quote:
Cab aggregators Ola and Uber have said that they will not resort to surge pricing during the 12-day odd-even road rationing scheme starting from November 4.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/71862650.cms

The other thing: women-drivers are exempt from this ruling. However, it applies only when all the occupants in the car are women.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 10:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Fortunately, I have one even and one odd number car and only one car goes to Delhi. So, it hasn't affected me personally. In fact, there is slightly less traffic on the roads.

But I know couple of friends who are suffering a bit.
mukeshgoel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 11:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Haven't affected me at all. Have both odd and even number cars so that's sorted. Was expecting less congestion but the effect on road traffic is at most 10%. For instance it takes me 1 hour 30 mins to reach workplace from home, a 35 km distance. Now it's taking 15 mins less.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 16:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

My daughter had a sports day function in school today. I was not in town for the past week and completely forgot about this rule. Took out my even car and have come to school without being caught. Now wondering what to do on the way back.

Either I'll take a rick home and come back for the car after 8PM. Or I'll ask wife to drive. Daughter will sit in the front seat and will have the school uniform on. I'll maybe hide in the rear footwell or in the boot.
Eddy is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 18:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
My daughter had a sports day function in school today. I was not in town for the past week and completely forgot about this rule. Took out my even car and have come to school without being caught. Now wondering what to do on the way back.

Either I'll take a rick home and come back for the car after 8PM. Or I'll ask wife to drive. Daughter will sit in the front seat and will have the school uniform on. I'll maybe hide in the rear footwell or in the boot.
Well, we managed a 3 km drive back home with me in the rear footwell
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi BHPians: How has the odd-even scheme affected you?-whatsapp-image-20191109-17.13.47.jpeg  

Eddy is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 20:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been a source of significant inconvenience to a lot of middle class citizens. The metro trains are more packed, the already inadequate bus system is more jammed and I seriously doubt it makes any difference to the air quality when the smallest and least polluting component of the pie is trimmed down. For us personally it was not a big issue as one of the cars is even and others are odd.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 21:49   #10
BHPian

We had two odd and one even number cars. I sold one odd number car in the last week of october, so now we have one odd and one even... Dad keeps alternating the car with my wife and i am enjoying on mu bultt after a long time...
The_Warrior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 23:37   #11
BHPian

Both my cars end with odd number. I decided to take my annual leave during these two weeks as it would have been a big hassle commuting by the metro. I tried commuting by the metro or uber/ola car pool for a couple of months late last year and earlier this year but I bought a new car simply because it was too difficult to find cabs that would go to gurgaon from delhi in the evenings (would often take 4-5 attempts). Using the metro is extremely inconvinient too due to last mile connectivity issues given my office location near saket district center ( I dont like to use autorickshaws as I find them terribly unsafe). Needles s to say, I would have been better off without the leaves at this time of the year as against the year end. Precious time has been wasted due to this forced leave and lots of office work stalled unnecessarily.
interest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 02:27   #12
BHPian

It has impacted our lives significantly. There are three vehicle users i.e. Mum, Dad and Me. We have two even numbered and one odd numbered vehicle. On “ODD” days, who gets to use the Fortuner becomes a topic of hot debate. Both Mom and Dad being Doctors one of them is always forced to bear the brunt of delayed schedules as they travel from one workplace to the other for surgeries, often wasting way precious energy required to focus during complex procedures.
SID2997 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 02:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mine is an odd numbered car and I reach my office by 8 am and leave by 8 pm. This was the same arrangement followed back in 2016. This time it's for handful of days and days affecting me are 4th, 6th, 8th and 14th respectively.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 20:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

We have 2 cars one with odd number & other with even number. This time I didn't had to travel to Delhi or cross it, but last time I was working in Delhi & would take other car on alternate days.

Actually had taken number based on the number of other car.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 20:37   #15
BHPian

Surprisingly, this time around, the impact of odd-even on commute time is very minimal. I have a feeling people have figured out innovative (and even illegal) ways to circumvent the supreme inconvenience that odd-even is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks