Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2019, 23:48   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delhi BHPians: How has the odd-even scheme affected you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
PS: No offense to anyone here on TBhp. Just sharing my opinion.
None taken and guilty as charged.

It was an honest mistake and I should not have taken the car out that day. On the way back, I knew that the cars with school children in school uniform were exempt from the rule. But I was not sure if this was allowed with both parents in the car so had to take this step.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 01:40   #32
BHPian

Ever since odd even scheme was announced first time I knew it was here to stay. Alternately purchased odd/even number cars. Luckily I can manage the scheme without any problems.

The commute time has definitely reduced due to lesser cars on the road. I am in favour of permanent implementing odd/ even scheme.
Old 13th November 2019, 02:33   #33
BHPian

It has been a bit troubling for me, but since Saturday all days my odd numbered car is allowed till tomorrow (on 11th & 12th the odd even rule was not applicable).

It's tough for me on Odd days since my office is in the outskirts of Delhi(near sonepat border) and it's around 12kms away from the nearest metro station.

Also, my work involves going to nearby places which simply cannot be done without a vehicle(almost unexistent public transport in that area, if it's late you'll be lucky if you can get a cab/auto till the metro station 12kms away).

On one even day I took a friends car to office, other was a work from home day.
Old 13th November 2019, 09:01   #34
BHPian

We have 2 cars in the family: one Odd and one even. I travel between Noida and Gurgaon daily and my travel time has definitely reduced by 15-20 mins (one way). I know that alternating between odd and even cars defeats the purpose but i am doing my bit in a slightly different way.

The day Odd-Even kicked-in, i started offering rides on Quickride (a ride sharing app). Now, 2 people (now friends) travel with me on a daily basis and i get a decent amount in return. I am kind of loving this app and i plan to continue using it. I agree that some adjustments have to be made when you have co-travellers but the efforts are worth it. Even if i ignore pollution and traffic congestion here, the money i get in return is a good enough reason for me to continue.
Old 13th November 2019, 09:04   #35
BHPian

I own an odd number car and wife owns an even no car. She doesn't drive my car. On odd days no issues at all. On even days i drop my wife to work and use her car. She takes a lift back. Her work place is just 2 kms away from home.
I had to travel out station once on an even day in my car, so left Delhi before 8 am and entered after 8 pm.
Out of 10 days of odd even scheme there were no restrictions on three days 10-12 Nov. We were affected for three days in total.
Since the first odd even scheme most of my friends and relatives who bought a new second/ third car have ensured that the car registration numbers are alternate odd even or have retained their old car while purchasing a new one. Few of them used a two wheeler.
Old 13th November 2019, 09:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Ever since odd even scheme was announced first time I knew it was here to stay. Alternately purchased odd/even number cars. Luckily I can manage the scheme without any problems.

The commute time has definitely reduced due to lesser cars on the road. I am in favour of permanent implementing odd/ even scheme.
People who have no problems with this scheme will be those who have multiple cars (odd and even numbered), those who have no cars, or taxi drivers.

How will it reduce pollution if people took taxis instead of their personal cars? It would only increase pollution slightly considering that the taxi would have to travel some distance to reach the pickup point.

However, I am all for any serious effort at reducing pollution. The governments must find a way to eliminate stubble burning. If they want to reduce emissions from vehicles, let them ban all private vehicles from the roads two or three days a week after providing reliable public transportation.
Old 13th November 2019, 09:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am taking metro on alternate days; am also able to save about 15 minutes of commute time in the evening.

The only issue is last mile connectivity. The way pre-paid taxi can be booked from the airports, there should be similar arrangements at metro stations (atleast the prominent stations / interchange points). The auto drivers behave like robbers (INR 70 - 100 for below 2 km distance) ! On few occasions I boarded DTC or cluster buses just to avoid dealing with these cheats.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 12:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Well, we managed a 3 km drive back home with me in the rear footwell
This is not just illegal but unsafe as well.
fazayal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 12:39   #39
BHPian

Unfortunately, both my cars have a odd number, so i am taking public transport on even days. But my wife remain unaffected, as females are exempted from this odd even rule.

Though i am not sure how much this will be a success in bringing Pollution down, but one thing is for sure - less congestion on roads.
Old 13th November 2019, 14:26   #40
BHPian

Was a regular visitor to Dilli but now a resident ever since the missus got her transfer orders in August. For now, we have taken her scooter there for short rides to the market; for office commute, she rides to the metro station and takes the metro to her office stop; from there it is a 5 min walk. Son goes to school by school van and the school has made proper arrangements.

I asked her if this has affected her in any way? No highly adverse effect, but more people waiting for metro trains at stations and so lesser possibility of getting a seat even in the ladies only coach.

As for me, i am on tour and won't be back till Nov end so cannot comment, but i guess since cabs are allowed, i would continue going to office the same way i used to earlier: auto+metro+cab or probably pester missus to drop me to my convenient metro station before continuing.
must bring the swift to delhi. small rear windows mean well fed me can hide better!!

Last edited by N33raj : 13th November 2019 at 14:27. Reason: spelling!
N33raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 16:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

How has it affected me? I avoided going to to work on the odd number days (not too many this time around) primarily because of commuting in public transport (read metro) results in substantial exposure to the pollution that is currently plaguing the city. So I skipped going to office and worked from home.

1. Let me start off by giving a short summary of my daily commute. I travel from Noida to Connaught Place daily for work. Its a 25 - 35 minute drive; road are awesome and I actually find myself enjoying the morning drive. My other alternatives during odd-even were Ola/Uber or Metro.

I might sound a bit weird but I find the idea of commuting to work by Uber very very absurd especially if you already have a car since Uber/Ola has become super expensive. Since I stay in Noida, there is INR 100 border tax that gets added to the fare. Overall, both way fare would be around INR 650-700. If I take my car it would be around INR 150 for the round trip. So you can imagine the monthly saving. Huh! Therefore, no Ola/Uber for me.

2. Other alternative is the Metro. Like Lobogris said, why would anyone want to drive? This is exactly what I thought 5 months back when I move to Delhi. I happily took the metro for the first few days till I realized that I have been reaching my new office fully drenched in sweat, sometimes my shirt pulled out, exhausted because of the crowd pushing you around,etc. (I travel on the Blue line). I quickly got my car from Kolkata and now I happily drive around and avoid the metro as much as I can. Moreover, commuting to office my car takes 25 minutes, whereas by metro it takes around an hour.

Also, as I mentioned above, travelling by metro and inhaling the polluted air is just not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I always avoid driving in Delhi in any case. With one of the world’s best and cheapest metro networks, why would anyone want to drive? I simply take the metro to the nearest point and then walk, take Uber or an auto-rickshaw as needed.
P.S: I was thinking today, there must be so many of us who would have to ditch their private (petrol) vehicle during odd-even rule to take an Ola/Uber which run on diesel (and CNG). Funny but weird.

Last edited by Pancham : 14th November 2019 at 16:17.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 19:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Read today that odd even may stretch beyond 15 nov deadline. A decision will be taken tomorrow itself. More misery for people who are seriously affected by this.

Also, today on my way to work to delhi I observed a lot of traffic policeman jumping in front of cars before red lights or tight stretches. One even jumped in front of mine anticipating my car to be an odd one. I had to apply emergency brake to avoid hitting him. When he saw I am driving an even number car and the angry look on my face he simply gave a sheepish grin and went on to jump in front of other cars. Absolutely absurd behaviour and it was rampant all around on my route.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 10:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
Isn't this defeating the whole idea of introducing odd/even scheme? Why do we have a habit of dodging, cheating and find ways to defeat the rules and system. It's similar to what we people do while waiting in the queue which is time-consuming and inconvenient a bit but becomes frustrating when others start jumping the queue by using agents/touts, make lame excuses or use female members of the family just to get priority and completely defeat the purpose of having a queue.

I can totally understand that odd/even is inconvenient but so does the polluted air. Also, I agree with the fact that its effectiveness can be debated but we cannot deny that one less car on road = one less car pollution.

I have both odd/even cars at home including a two-wheeler but my brother and dad decided to either carpool or use public transport to ensure they skip using the car on alternate days.

PS: No offense to anyone here on TBhp. Just sharing my opinion.
1. Your location reads Bangalore
2. I clearly mentioned I didn't travel to Delhi this time
3. What I didn't mention was that I have a CAPD (damaged kidneys) patient at home who is undergoing treatment in AIIMS & needs to be taken there in emergency (minor or major).
4. I have worked extensively in Social Sector (as Finance Head) & one of projects involved pollution monitoring & restraining stubble burning in Punjab (Malwa region). It's their own people who oppose measure against stubble burning in Punjab.
5. Impact of Odd-Even is less than 3% (unlike 25% as claimed in newspapers on first day itself) which is almost equal to Diwali pollution (BTW sulphur in crackers kills mosquitoes & other harmful insects whose numbers increase post rains).
6. Can you prove that 2wheelers are less polluting than cars when the number of 2wheelers is more than 4 times & impact on pollution worse than cars whose movement is crubbed.
7. I'm not legally wrong.
CARDEEP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 11:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
1. Your location reads Bangalore
Yes, I am in Bangalore but my entire family is in Delhi.

Quote:
3. What I didn't mention was that I have a CAPD (damaged kidneys) patient at home who is undergoing treatment in AIIMS & needs to be taken there in an emergency (minor or major).
I can totally understand there could be different scenarios including emergencies where one needs not consider odd/even. My comments were not to target anybody individually and I was simply saying in general.
Quote:
4. I have worked extensively in Social Sector (as Finance Head) & one of the projects involved pollution monitoring & restraining stubble burning in Punjab (Malwa region). It's their own people who oppose measure against stubble burning in Punjab.
Agree, stubble burning is a major contributor to the current situation but this is something I as a Delhite cannot do much about it. What best I can do is to follow the rules and regulations set by authorities. I strongly feel such small initiatives can bring some change and if not, at least it will bring some awareness. I may be wrong here.

Quote:
5. Impact of Odd-Even is less than 3% (unlike 25% as claimed in newspapers on the first day itself) which is almost equal to Diwali pollution (BTW sulphur in crackers kills mosquitoes & other harmful insects whose numbers increase post rains).
For me 3% > 0%. Even if it is 1%, I am in for odd/even.

Quote:
6. Can you prove that 2wheelers are less polluting than cars when the number of 2wheelers is more than 4 times & impact on pollution worse than cars whose movement is crubbed.
I have no data to prove any such figures nor I intend to. The ruling party also has some political interest which they cannot risk by including 2 wheelers junta which is in the majority. Again, I reiterate, it is not a 100% perfect scheme but something is better than nothing.

Quote:
7. I'm not legally wrong.
I apologize if you are felt offended. I had no intention of pointing out anybody individually and that's why I quoted multiple posts. All I wanted to say is there is no harm in making a small effort if one can.
Old 15th November 2019, 11:12   #45
BANNED

We are in Gurugram. Our son has to commute to Delhi every day. Unfortunately all our cars (All Hondas) are even. So he has to take then Metro on three days.

Most Viewed