Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Cruise Control in India is:
Useful 513 61.88%
Useless 316 38.12%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cruise Control in India - Useful or Useless?

Useless for me, i have used it for a grand total of two times on Vento, somehow it is just not confidence inspiring. The amount of unknowns on our highways are way too much, and i find it a risky proposition, as even with cruise control engaged, you can't really free your feet from accelerator.

Maybe i should try using it more while on highway, but then i kinda prefer old school driving, and while in city in bangalore, you can't even think of using it

Last edited by AtheK : 2nd June 2020 at 15:06.
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:06   #17
BHPian

Voted useful.
On my 2015 Honda City , I've used it often on the Mumbai Pune expressway, and further down, in the Kolhapur-Belgaum section. I usually set it to 90 or max 100, particularly when there's an interesting conversation going on in the car, or when I'm in a mood to roll the windows and enjoy a leisurely (relatively speaking) drive.
AMKAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:08   #18
BHPian

Well, my car don't have it, but I feel the need for it when driving long routes on access controlled highways. Recently I drove 800+KM over two days and my left toe was hurting by continuously pressing the accelerator paddle while just maintaining the cruising speeds (Many expressways here in North are quite straight and with speed limits of 100 - 120kmph).

It seems a useful feature to me, a good to have. Much more useful than a sunroof, but no deal breaker still.

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 2nd June 2020 at 15:10.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Voted Useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Some sub-20 lakh models with the feature are listed below:
Add Honda Jazz to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Where are the roads for cruise control? Well, come to TN
+1. Post Hosur(towards krishnagiri & further), there's not much hindrance by unwanted elements on the butter smooth highway and one can enjoy cruise control for quite sometime. I have used it extensively on this route and can vouch for its utility. Not sure how useful it is in manual cars, but in automatics it even manages to return superb fuel efficiency, as it optimizes the throttle input & gear selection. Maintaining 90-100 on cruise I have seen ~20kmpl on the petrol Jazz CVT

But agreed in India we get very few such roads where one can enjoy this feature. One's preference for the feature will depend a lot on which roads they use regularly. In city or even state highways this feature is absolutely useless.

Last edited by SoumenD : 2nd June 2020 at 15:18.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:25   #20
Team-BHP Support

Cruise Control / Adaptive Cruise Control: Yes!

Cruise Control - No. Barring a few highways, countable on one hand, none in India afford this technology given the infrastructure itself and the many distractions that are commonplace on our roads
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Voted useful as it has been so convenient during my highway drives. My regular Pune - Bangalore drives and my recent Pune - Rajasthan road trip gave me ample opportunities to appreciate the benefits of cruise control. I now want Adaptive Cruise Control on my next car !
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:14   #22
BHPian

Interesting to see many people from TN voted it useful. I believe it's largely due to the condition of the roads. I often drive from Salem to Coimbatore and I drive with CC on for 70% of the course. I'm not sure about other states, But in TN, Most highways are pretty good for cruise control.
gasinveins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Voted useful - a must-have for my next purchase! - for most of my highway trips involve the straight, very well maintained TN highways - for a good 8 hours (600kms) at a stretch from Attibele (Hosur) to Kavalkinaru (Kanyakumari).

+ 100

Most of my highway trips are on the same route ( Bangalore to Trivandrum). I used to feel the need for CC in my Punto. In the two trips that I have done after getting the Octavia 1.8 TSI, I have extensively used Cruise Control.
Mistakenguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

The Cruise Control feature in my 2011 Nissan Rogue in the US was quite handy, I'll admit. But I quickly discovered that when added to the orderly monotony of driving in the US, the cruise control would induce sleep in me. My feet simply had to have something to do or else, I'd begin to lose concentration. My fear was that I'd then nod off at the wheel.

In India or anywhere, the cruise control is useless for me.
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted Useless. My Honda City has it, but the moment I engage it, for some reason or other I'm forced to reduce speed/brake. Obstructions come in form of slow moving erratic traffic hogging the fast lane, Holy Cows chewing cud in the middle of the road, people doing a hop skip and jump to cross the highway, boulders/barricades in the middle of the road where you least expect it, I prefer to be as attentive as possible when I drive on Indian roads as they can throw nasty surprises when you least expect them and can make the difference between a smooth drive and a sorry drive.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 2nd June 2020 at 16:42.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

I voted useful.

Actually, It is not useless in India but it is less used.

Reason: it gives relaxed posture to entire family since car would be at a constant speed on highways. Yes it can not be compared to foreign countries driving where 10s of KMS of interruption less driving is possible on freeways. But at least 4 to 5 KMS of driving on cruise control is possible.

So I classify as less used rather than useless.

If we really declare it as useless just because it is not utilized efficiently, then most of the super bikes, fast cars and premier cars have to go to same useless category

Last edited by gkveda : 2nd June 2020 at 16:47.
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:06   #27
BHPian

Even in kerala I use cruise control. How?
I work at Trivandrum and my hometown is in Palakkad which is about 300 odd kilometers. My one way travel is always either in the night (after 10PM) or early morning (between 2am and 3am). During such time i can engage the cruise control without much interference from lane cutters. But once the sun comes up, it becomes impossible to engage the same.
kozhissery is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:15   #28
BANNED

Voted for useless. It is useless for my use case as I hardly ever drive on national highways.
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have voted useful. There have been many occasions specially on my drives from Pune to Bangalore/kerala I have missed it.

I like to cruise at 100-110 km/hr on good highways. During these long drives I have found enough stretches where we can maintain such speeds for a long duration. I have felt that having to maintain constant, consistent pressure on the Accelerator pedal results in faster fatigue as well.

So for sure it is a feature that I have missed despite not having any real experience with one.
Old 2nd June 2020, 18:09   #30
ike
BHPian

I voted for useful, and I found it quite useful on my highway drives (mostly between Thrissur - Chennai). It is more useful on the divided highways. Helps with the fuel economy too.

I haven't driven outside India, so not seen the disciplined driving that is apparently practiced elsewhere but cruise control is pretty useful in India and might appear as useless if you compare it with the way it's done in other countries. It is absolutely useless in the city though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Maruti Dzire
Maruti XL6
Maruti Vitara Brezza
Maruti Ciaz
S cross is missing in the list sir!

Last edited by ike : 2nd June 2020 at 18:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks